Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #196
roadcapDen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Most excellent!

I'm lovin' it, keep on keepin' on.

"Nice beaver",,,"Thanks, I just had it stuffed"

Some of my scoots have (starter) motors but all are enginecycles...
roadcapDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #197
drex
So Cal

Oddometer: 115
Love that Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman][/URL]
Now notice the arrows in the lanes . . . wrong way. At every one of these lefthanded (going downhill) switchbacks, a bit before you get there, arrows direct you to change lanes and the same for the opposing lane. So, the downhill folks always have the inside and the uphill folks are always on the outside. Then when around the corner, you switch back. I have not really figured out the advantage to this and making sure you switch back on time and not at the same time as the guy coming the other way. Must make for some interesting smack ups.

Orizaba is hooked on to the end of the City of Mendoza (or maybe the other way around). Town seems quite upscale and pretty cool. Think I’ll hang around for a bit.
I drove that road few times in a car back in 1985 -- the first time freaked me out completely. Hmmm. Time to go back on a bike!

Dan
Old 03-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #198
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 980
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcapDen View Post
I'm lovin' it, keep on keepin' on.
Thanks for the sentiment Den
www.rexbuck.com - RexBuck's Latin America
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #199
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drex View Post
I drove that road few times in a car back in 1985 -- the first time freaked me out completely. Hmmm. Time to go back on a bike!

Dan
You are correct . . . the sooner the better.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #200
ktm360mx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Completely and totaly jealous, but loving your adventure. Hope you have the time of your life!!!
ktm360mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 AM   #201
EmilianoXR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Buenas fotos !!!!

Saludos, seguimos disfrutando estas buenas fotos !!!!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #202
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm360mx View Post
Completely and totaly jealous, but loving your adventure. Hope you have the time of your life!!!
Thanks ktm360mx - it has been truly the time of my life. Thanks for tagging along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilianoXR650L View Post
Saludos, seguimos disfrutando estas buenas fotos !!!!!!!
Gracias Emiliano
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #203
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 63 - March 17

Staying an extra day in Orizaba. Don’t know what it is about this town, I like the feel of it. It has a great town square with the big Cathederal and an old City Hall building.
The old City Hall building is called El Palacio de Hierro (The Iron Palace) and was designed by Gustave Eiffel and completed in 1894. It is a completely metal structure including metal cladding on the outside.

One of the streets between the main drag and the Zocolo is closed off for pedestrian traffic. Mostly just shopping but everybody seems to turn out and just stroll.

The Zocólo

Couple of ladies selling Elotes out of shopping bags

Street sweepers keep everything tidy. Here is an example of the brooms they use. See these in a number of different towns.

One of the cool things the town has that they have capitalized on is a creek/river meandering through town. It is about 20’ below grade and has walkways on both sides. Old arched stone bridges for each street. The odd swinging suspension bridge for pedestrians to get to the other side. Even have a zoo of sorts along one side.

Stayed at the Pluviosilla right on the main drag and next to the creek. In fact my bathroom overlooked it. Good value - $350p per night – probably explains why it seemed pretty busy. They wedge a lot of cars in the parking lot and they had me put my bike in some covered parking. Room was nice.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #204
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 63 - March 17 B

Today headed out to Zongolica. Heard they had some waterfalls and caves around. What a terrific ride to get there (this description is going to sound monotonous and I’m sure I’ll use it again) – twisted road, good pavement with spectacular scenery.
Leaving Orizaba, you head up in front of that cliff which is a slot in the mountain taking you to Zongolica

I get into town and start wandering around the Zocolo area trying to figure out what their draw is. Nice little town nestled in the mountains. Finally ask one of the Municipal cops if they have a Tourist Office. Apparently not. He heads down a couple of doors and asks this guy to help me – tell him a map would be fine. He starts ordering these young cops around and they are tearing this desk apart - I think this desk may have been the Police Station. Can’t find a map so he drags me across the square and down a side street to this lady’s fruit stand. Asks her and she heads upstairs – about 5 minutes late she comes down with a couple maps – guess you just have to know where the Tourist Office is.

Have a look at this map – it’s pretty poor quality print job. Can eventually find the main waterfall which is at the end of a route with some caves and other sites on it. So, off I go.

Another beautiful twisted road with more spectacular scenery (see, I said it again already).

Road started to deteriorate a bit and then descended about 3000 to the first town I was looking for.
One of the ways a road deteriorates, is a chunk of it sloughs off

That little pile of dirt is the warning to drivers coming around the corner - sometimes you just get a couple of rocks

By now it had turned to gravel then dried mud ruts then through another little town and then this nasty rock road. I stopped to have a look at the map again and a guy comes along and tells me it’s about 50 miles to the falls. Says, no problem, you can do it today. Well, its 2 in the afternoon by now and with an out and back on a crappy road of a total of 100 miles plus another two hours back to Orizaba. I’m thinkin it will be well after dark and I don’t want to be anywhere near these roads after dark. So, give it a pass.

It’s beyond me how a town can claim some natural phenomena as theirs when it is 75 miles away. There is probably another waterfall closer but the little side trip was well worthwhile just for the ride and visiting the little town of Zongolica.

I’ve was on a Torta (a kind of a sandwich) mission while in Orizaba. First night stopped at a place on the Zocolo – had a couple of great Tortas. Tonight I went to a place just down the walking street from the Zocolo. Torta con al Pastor y queso (Torta made with al Pastor and cheese and, of course, condiments) – winner! This guy is shaving this chunk of meat that is turning in front of a burner. Outside of the meat stays cooked. That is al Pastor and it is really good in Tacos and now I find in Tortas.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #205
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 64 - Mar 18

Leaving Orizaba, wanted to see one of the landmarks of the area, Mt Orizaba. However, it was so hazy that the view was completely blotted out. Glad I was able to see it on the road into Orizaba.

Was cruising through this town looking for some breakfast, seems every place open was a Pollo Asado (chicken) place. Chicken is good for breaky so picked and stopped. This was one of the best (and largest) Pollo Asados I've had.

That would be beans, salad, vegies, rice and some coffee . . . $50p including tip

Headed over to Xico to see some waterfalls – maybe have better luck today. Found the falls fairly close to town (thank God) and went for a hike. Today being Sunday, the place was nuts with families out for a day of sightseeing.

Hiked up to the secondary falls which are nice.

Tons of families there enjoying themselves.`

Coming back went across a small bridge to a viewpoint and noticed a pretty waterfall literally coming out of the bottom of the structures at the entrance.

Then notice on my way back to the entrance some old flumes and control structures. Even an old bridge that would have carried the flume across this gorge.

There was a huge water pipe (about 4’ diameter) that they had the main pedestrian walkway on and I figured the flumes must have been the predecessor to that - maybe an irrigation system?

Then when I got down to the viewing area, notice the flumwork was heading there. Then noticed there was a big pump supplying water . . . to the waterfall. It was manmade and I guessing the flumes originally carried the water for the waterfall. Very ingenious. Got so caught up in figuring out this man-made falls, forgot to take a picture of the main waterfall.

Carried on. Heard horror stories about getting through the city of Xalpa. Turned out to be a breeze – big city and you had to stay on your toes but got through pretty quickly. Then on some pretty busy roads until the turnoff to Tezuitlan.

Was watching lightning flashing in the distance so was motivated to get going so I arrive at wherever I stop before the rain does. Was heading to Tezuitlan and lightning all over the place as I arrive. Rode past the hotel and by the time I got around a few blocks and back, it started to rain.

Hotel Colonial – great hotel, brand new rooms. Probably the nicest room I’ve had since in Mexico (well maybe except at Zipolite). Good parking, internet, big room looks like it was refurbished more to American standards. Even has a hair dryer.

Edit: Forgot to mention a little mechanical situation. As I was riding to day, a couple of times when I was passing, I felt the clutch slip a bit. Backed off the throttle but it was a bit troubling. When I stopped and checked it, I found the cable had no freeplay at the lever. There is supposed to be a gap between the cable and the lever. If there isn't then tension is taken off the clutch plates and they can slip. Bad Bad Bad. Adusted the gap back to specs but it is adjusted out to the maximum. A little concerning - I don't really want my clutch grenading out in the middle of nowhere. Oh well, if it does, will be another new experience.

RexBuck screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 08:48 PM Reason: Add clutch problem
Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #206
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 65 - Mar 19

Headed out to see if I could find some more twisted roads. Started out on Hwy 129 north from Tezuitlan. Nice road, great curves but a bit busy. Turned off about 2/3 of the way to Tlapacoyan on a road that heads up to Ayotoxco. Road a bit potholy but wandered through some pretty nice areas.

Some bananas, cattle and then a lot of lime orchards.

Came across this little waterfall dribbling down the mountainside

The odd house is spectacular. Check out this monstor.

See these trees all over, especially along the road. Same red color as the Arbol Mano I was shown in Palanque. However, these are pruned back heavily just like a weeping willow.

Then got some elevation

Finally got to Ayotoxco and stopped at this lady’s restaurant. I love it when a restaurant makes their own tortillas. Grandma was pounding them out pretty steady the whole time. About every 5 minutes she’d wander over a plop a couple more on your pile, didn’t matter if you still had a bunch or not. They so much better hot and fresh. Probably some of the best tortillas I’ve had.

Lady that owned it was literally running to keep the food coming
Old 03-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #207
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 65 - Mar 19 B

Then picked up Hwy 207 which another nice twisty road – a bit beat up but it looks like they are trying to fix it as there was a fair amount of road construction. About 50 KM past Ayotoxco, turned off on some un-named road to Zacatlán by way of Tetela de Ocampo. It was the best of the day.

Some fields being hoed

People here walk everywhere. There always seems to be somebody wandering down a road, either on foot, horseback or bicycle. This old fellow was trudging up this very long hill.

Whenever I run across a lot of elevation change, it always ends up being a great road and great scenery. Get back up into the pine forests again – lot of little gypo mills cutting lumber. Doesn’t seem to be the bigger logging operations we saw over in Oaxaca.

Arrive in Zacatlán. Nice little town. Really working on making it look good – I like it when a town makes an effort.

and, another window
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #208
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 66 - Mar 20

Spent last night at the Posada Don Luis which I think I’d skip again. Looks like they are doing some construction so all the rooms they were using were in the front. Mine fronted on the street – that means there was basically a sidewalk between my room and the traffic. The bed sucked. Had a vinyl mattress pad on it – I don’t know if this room was reserved for those desiring a short stay or the girl gave it to me because I’m an old guy and they’d had accidents before. It was hard getting comfortable - almost dug out my sleeping bag but then, fell asleep. Weirdest internet also. 5 bars outside my door – lucky to get 1 or 2 inside. Walls must have been made of Kryptonite.

Reluctantly left Zacatlán – I kind of liked this little town. Built on the top of a valley

Last night at dinner, the owner was telling me that I should go and see their waterfalls. When he saw the look on my face he was quick to assure me they were close by. So retraced my steps about 10 km south. Found the turnoff. Now, I’m glad this guy told me there are two waterfalls, run by different outfits. You have to drive right by the front of the first one to get to Cascadas Tuliman. He told me to skip the first one which I did.

Pay your admission you head down into the canyon via a few switchbacks and view the waterfall from the bottom. Hike in about 10 minutes. Best waterfalls I’ve seen down here so far. If you are ever in the area and like gawking at waterfalls, stop in. These pics don’t do it justice. If you come here, expect to get damp . . .

Looking out over the valley the falls are in

Then headed back through town. Tried a shortcut I thought I had found – looked like crap so went back and found Hwy 119 and that took me where I wanted to go – east of Tulancingo.

On the stretch north of Tulancingo, they were doing a lot of road construction which is nothing new. Most road construction down here they may tell you there is a detour or, may just let you figure it out. The attitude is basicly, hey driver, here’s a road we are working on and it’s all dug up – find your way to the other end. Oh yah, and try not to hit our equipment, drive into a hole or run into the folks coming the other direction who are also trying to find their way.

Going up one of the roads this pickup was beside me and Jay Leno hangs out the window and gives me a thumbs up for my bike. I looked at the guy about 3 times and still wasn’t sure.

So, this construction carries on for quite awhile. At one point was following a couple of vehicles with a whole string behind us. We are going up this one lane trench with about 2’ high gravel piled on each side. We are just about to the end and here come 2 yahoos in a couple of pickups and stop in front of us. ‘

Apparently, our lane was supposed to be up on one of the gravel piles. So, now it takes about 10 minutes for the traffic on our side to climb up onto the gravel pile. While we are waiting the pickup with Jay Leno in it pulls up beside me - he knows the routine and was already up on the sand pile. The kid driving said the Jay Leno guy was his Dad – I told him his Dad looked like Jay Leno - they laughed. The front end of my bike popped right up on the gravel pile but I had to let the heavy assed back end swing around so I was at almost right angle before it would climb up too and off we went.

Had some really nice altitude changes and all that goes with that later in the day. Getting back to cactus country

Saw this guy plowing his field with a horse drawn plow. Not uncommon sight

Had some chilaquiles for lunch

Arrived in Zacaultipan. Wandering around looking for a hotel it seemed like a typical Mexican town with tons of one-ways always going the opposite way that you want to go. I probably should have looked at some more but settled on the unremarkable Hotel Pacheco. At least it has secure parking.

The town really has nothing to offer the traveler. The town square is a giant combination parking lot and round about. It seems a lot of the streets filter to the town square so there is this constant stream of cars around it. Nobody in the square – not a lot of atmosphere.

Trying to find a restaurant, I find this little greasy spoon upstairs across from the park. Had a great meal whose name I can’t remember. It was meat with vegetables and apple chunks mixed with a bunch of spices. Really good – especially with the apple.

Since my hotel didn’t have internet, in the morning was looking for a place to grab a coffee and check email. Was downtown and low and behold, there was huge stuff going on. All of the town’s school kids were there along with a number of High School drum and bugle corps (or whatever they call them in Mexico) and the Army drum and bugle corps and a gazillion suits. Lots of pomp and ceremony. Quite interesting. Apparently a Mexican holiday. Who knew? Didn’t take my camera with me, so no pics.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #209
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 67 - March 21

I apologize for not updating this report sooner. I am now in the US and spending time with my Dad and my son and dealing with some mechanical issues. I’ll strive to get it completed ASAP.

Woke up this morning to pea soup fog. Hopefully this will burn off soon so will kill some time. Too bad because I was set for an early start.

Wandered back down to the town square to see if I could find an internet place open and maybe grab a bite. Lo and behold there’s a happinin goin on. Every kid in town are all lined up. School kids in their uniforms and little kids in Halloween costumes. The Army’s drum and bugle group are there. Some of the High Schools have drum and bugle groups there also. All of the town’s suits are out in fine form. Apparently this is a national day commemorating Benito Juarez, one of the well known (If the number of streets named after him is an indicator) leaders in the mid 19th Century. Of course, not expecting anything other than a traffic jam, I didn’t bother taking my camera.

Finally by 11:30, I was getting itchy feet and realizing this fog may be here for awhile, headed out. Jeebus. Got in behind a pickup and just boodle on for about an hour and a half. It was a combination fog and rain so, not only couldn’t I see from the fog, my glasses were compounding the issue, so I just slid them down my nose and looked over them. Weren’t going fast enough for the raindrops to hurt and I wasn’t worried about bugs.

One of the reasons I was hoping the fog would clear as this road (Hwy 105) is a beautiful road and I’m sure the scenery was spectacular. Once below 5000 feet we were under the cloud and it was so much more fun. The last bit of 105 I rode was spectacular. I’d really like to have a do-over of that one.

Turned off to head over to Hwy 85. Took the road that goes through the little town of Coaculico over to Tamaxunchale. Great little road – varied between nice twisties and rolling farmland.

Got on 85 – another delight. All twisted up – nice scenery.

Kept seeing these "air plants" - have no idea what they are really called and if they are in fact, an air plant. I think I had a pic of some on the side of a rock wall awhile ago. See these things hanging on telephone wires to trees. Noticed most of the trees looked dead. Don't know if they are parasites and kill the trees or, attach to things that aren't alive.

Arrived in Xilita. Now this is more like it. What a nice town – very historical. Built on the side of a mountain. After asking a couple of Traffic cops, found the Hotel Guzman just up from the town square. Old building that has been renovated. Still doing a bit of work on it. Really nice. High ceilings, decent sized room with king bed.

Town closes down early. Couple of restaraunts by the square but they were closed. Probably because it’s a holiday? Found a couple of ladies set up on a wall in the square selling tostados and tamales. Had 3 tostados and a tamale for $14p . . . a buck for dinner.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #210
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 808
Zacatlán looks like a fantastic spot. You are sure getting way back there. Awesome trip. Great to follow along. Keep it coming.

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote