Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #61
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest View Post
I am really enjoying your trip report. Nice narrative with regards to the hotels/motels, borders, wifi, costs, etc.

Now, how do I get in on this "retirement" thing?
Sooner rather than later, I hope!
Thanks for the kind words and for tagging along Motowest.

The retirement thing is new to me and its still a bit scary. However, I can see that I will looking back in awhile and wishing I had done it sooner.
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #62
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 15 - Feb 1

Short day today from San Blas to Guayabitos. Beautiful road more or less following the coast. Noticed there are a few decent looking hotels/resorts south of San Blas. Think I still would prefer to be in town just to get more of the Mexican flavor.

After motoring in a pretty straight line across the flats for a while, the road climbs over a hill and presents some spectacular views and a few miles of really fun twisties.

In Zacaulpan, ran across a couple from Colorado, Rick and Chris heading down to El Salvador (and maybe further) on KLRs. Nice people.

See these growing in the area. They are Jackfruit but the locals call them Jaca - which sounds like yuca which is what I thought they were saying and needless to say, was confused . . . again. They are apparently the largest fruit in the world and can grow to 3 feet long and 80 pounds. Seem to be a bit smaller here. Tasty.

Arrived in Guayabitos, planned to hang around for a couple of nights to visit some friends, get this RR caught up, play tourist and generally goof off. I will find that goofing off consumes a lot of time and will end up there 5 nights.

RexBuck screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 07:22 PM
Old 02-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #63
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
So how is the weather holding up? Warmer temps making for comfortable days? Is this the best time of year to be enjoying mainland Mexico?

I need to get these things figured out for what I hope will be an early retirement (or maybe just extended vacations ).
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #64
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So how is the weather holding up? Warmer temps making for comfortable days? Is this the best time of year to be enjoying mainland Mexico?

I need to get these things figured out for what I hope will be an early retirement (or maybe just extended vacations ).
Great - started this morning at 17C (63F) and hit a high of 36.5C (98F) for a bit this afternoon.

Weather on the Baja tended to be cooler - maybe highs in the low 80s - mainland has been a bit warmer.

Lets see, supposed to get down to -11C (about 12F) at home tonight . . . I'm good with this.

If you are not ready to pull the plug, consider the extended vacations - you'd be surprised what you can do in a month.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 AM   #65
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Days 16 – 20 - Feb 1 – Feb 5

Was going to spend three days here, visiting friends, hanging out, getting caught up. Extended it a couple of days to catch some other friends and watch the Super Bowl.

Rincon de Guayabitos is the middle of three small seaside tourist communities. They primarily cater to Mexican tourists but there is a decent sized Canadian group there also. Good place for people wanting an alternative to the glitz of the big resort towns. Along the main drag.

Here’s a couple of shots of the hotel I had for $40 a night. Mostly Canadians until the long weekend then mostly Mexicans - either way, the other guests were fine.

On the beach you can get a whole pineapple with all the guts mushed up with some juices added and then some pieces of orange, jicama, watermellon stuck in. 30p less than $2.50

Some beach vendors.

Had a great time playing tourist.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #66
Jick Magger
Exile on Main Street

Oddometer: 842
Cool2 weather at home

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexBuck View Post
Great - started this morning at 17C (63F) and hit a high of 36.5C (98F) for a bit this afternoon.

Weather on the Baja tended to be cooler - maybe highs in the low 80s - mainland has been a bit warmer.

Lets see, supposed to get down to -11C (about 12F) at home tonight . . . I'm good with this.

If you are not ready to pull the plug, consider the extended vacations - you'd be surprised what you can do in a month.
You are right about the weather at home Steve...Looking out the front door this morning....brrrrPhoto & Video Sharing by SmugMug

RIde Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=Rolling+jick
Jick Magger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #67
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jick Magger View Post
You are right about the weather at home Steve...Looking out the front door this morning....brrrr
That's a great picture BJ - I particularly enjoy looking at pics like that while sitting on the beach with my friend Negra Modelo waiting for another spectacular sunset.

ps - at least you don't have to shovel that . . . .
Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #68
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

That picture sure helps remind you that you are in the right place this time of year. Apparently you are not the only one enjoying the warmer weather of the southern latitudes!
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #69
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
That picture sure helps remind you that you are in the right place this time of year. Apparently you are not the only one enjoying the warmer weather of the southern latitudes!
Well, Santa Cruz is tough to take at anytime of the year, that's for sure.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #70
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 21 - Feb 6

Another weinie day today. Went about half hour back up the road to a little town called Chacala. I had been through there before and thought I’d like to check it out, so I did.

Chacala is still a tourist town but much smaller than most others – even more relaxed feel to it. Today however, was really busy – cars parked all over the place. Last day of the Mexican long weekend, Día de la Constitución. Mostly Mexican families enjoying the beach.

Since I arrived late in the morning, most hotels didn’t have rooms ready so, went and had breakfast and relaxed.
Nice beach and not real busy in spite of all the cars here.

Staying at Hotel Las Brisas – 495p for a small but nice room. Once I got checked in, went for a walk around the Beach, over to the “marina”. The local fishing fleet

By mid-afternoon, I was reduced to sitting in the hotel’s restarunat on the beach. By the evening I was on about my umpteenth beer, had watched a spectacular sunset, had a great fish medley dinner all the while they had some 50s / 60s rock playing in the background. Waves crashing in. Pretty frickin relaxing if you ask me.

Comment: Pacifico is a decent beer when the favorites aren't available but doesn't hold a candle to the Mexican oscuro or dark beers like Negra Modelo (my fav) or Indio
The sunset getting started

Then it exploded

These three guys decide to go for a swim in the last bit of light

Turned the beach pink

By the time the sunset was finished, the parking lot had gone from stacked 2 deep in some places to my bike and 1 car. Mexican’s all went home to go back to work tomorrow.

I’d come back here.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #71
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

It looks like the sunset was worth the effort, for sure!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:20 PM   #72
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 22 - Feb 7

Took a back road to Puerto Vallarta. Starts about 7 km south of the Chacala turnoff - sign says Älta Vista. I think a lot of this road was probably originally a connecting route between Tepic and Puerto Vallarta, possibly before MEX 200 was developed, hence the cobblestone sections on the steeper parts of the road. Here are some clips of the cobblestone portions – the grade of the road and holes in the cobblestone are mellowed out a lot by the very wide angle of the GoPro camera - I'm not a great off pavement rider but for reference, I was in first or second gear most of the time.

Overall, turned out to be a very enjoyable twisted road with lots of up and down. I just had a lot of fun on this part.

Coming around one corner and see this cattle guard - quickly thinking (well, as quick as my brain permits me to think) that rails running the same way as I'm going would not be a good thing. Fortunately, the cattle guard was pretty well filled in with dirt.

Friends had told me to keep an eye out for the turnoff to the hot pools. Decided to wander back there to take a look. Most of this little road in was pretty good but was some nice steep spots and some nasty powder stuff in spots – wasn’t too deep though.

Was thinking I might sneak in a skinny dip thinking it was just some natural pools but there is a guy looking after it and anyhow, there was already a crowd there – group of RVers. Took some pics, had a brief chat with the guy that looks after the place and headed out.
Here are some of the lower pools

Here are the upper pools - apparently each pool is slightly lower than the next so the water runs through all of them in sequence. The upper pools are the warmest. Stuck my hand in and it wasn't a hottub but it was reasonably warm.

Rode south of there turned better as it went through some larger towns approaching Puerto Vallarta.

On the outskirts of a small town, San Juan de Abajo, stopped for breakfast / lunch at a roadside restaurant run by a family. Incredibly nice people. I had taken my big camera out to take some snaps of them and along with the GoPro on my helmet, the daughter came over and asked if I was going to put these on the internet – told her I was and she seemed delighted at that. Sorry I wasn’t able to give her my RR addy off the top of my head.

Comment: That got me thinking – I would have liked to have been able to quickly give her a link to the ride report so she could see herself. So, set up www.rexbuck.com which will be directed straight to this ride report. For $10, what the hell?

Here's the family - girl on the right is the one who wants to be the movie star. Papa cooking corn. Mama making tortillas did not want her pic taken. Notice the woodfired stoves - not unusual in these roadside eateries.

Road deposited me north of PV (somehow in my addled brain thought I would be south of it) so suffered having to drive through a city again. Yeech!

Pretty uneventfull ride for the rest of the day. Once I got past the PV traffic, had about 30 or 40 km of nice twisty road. Then pretty mundane. Nice scenery except for the last couple of hours. A picturesque valley on the way.

When you are driving around early in the morning or in the afternoon, you see a lot of workers going home in a Mexican worker bus - a half ton can hold 6 to 8 comfortably while a 3/4 ton can jam in a dozen or more. Better have a steel rack so they can all stand. Actually, its hard to see but some in this group were sitting - I think there was at least 15 here.

Got into Barra de Navidad – not a bad tourist town – looks like little more upscale hotels along the beaches. Stayed in one a block back – Hotel Sarabi - wasn’t the one I had in mind as I realized after I checked in that the one I had my eye on is next door. This one is just fine though . . . 350p - secure parking, wifi, hot water and clean bed.

My routine each evening is about the same - sitting in the courtyard writing this stuff, kill my first Negra Modelo then on to the second then to dinner. It’s a nice touch down here that in many of the small stores you can buy single beers – great for the traveler.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #73
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,057
Great RR. We've been going to the Puerto Vallarta area for about six years now; usually at Christmas. First time we went was to attend a friends 50th wedding anniversary party in Rincon de Guayabitos. Couldn't quit going after that !
Gotta keep watching this RR.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 PM   #74
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Great RR. We've been going to the Puerto Vallarta area for about six years now; usually at Christmas. First time we went was to attend a friends 50th wedding anniversary party in Rincon de Guayabitos. Couldn't quit going after that !
Gotta keep watching this RR.
Yah,. we have certainly enjoyed the area north of PV. Thanks for following along Ace and the nice comments.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #75
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Since going to Mexico's Copper Canyon region the first time last March I've become a junkie for anything Mexico. We'll be returning again in a Month & can't wait to get on the road.
We did do a day ride from Los Mochis to Topolobambo & had lunch at the Ship looking restaurant at the port your arrived at.

Really enjoying your RR & following along!

Sleddog
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote