Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2014, 07:13 PM   #1
a1fa OP
Throttle Jockey™

Oddometer: 13,866
Cordless Lawn Tools

My gardener is slowly getting more customers, and as such the quality has gone down.. He used to take his time, and mow the lawn evenly, and now he just snow plows through it.. Thinking about cutting my own grass... not looking for ICE tools.. Think battery powered ought to cut it, no pun intended. We have a half an acre lot with Bermuda grass, and bunch of hedges. I priced the tools at Lowes, and the entire gardening experience would cost me $1000..

40v Lawn Mower
40v Trimmer and Edger
40v Blower
40v Hedge Trimmer
40v Pole Saw

Buying the tools, and doing the work myself, would cover the cost of gardener alone... The payoff would be within this year.

Are these tools ok? Should I really be saving the extra $500 and dicking with ICE tools or corded tools?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,283
I have a 40v ryobi weed eater, I would buy it again. Works great. Upgrade the string to the next size up and you will be set. I don't have much trimming to do, I get 3-4 uses before I need to find a charger. Maybe 40 minutes of trimming.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,380
We have a black & Decker land mower that works really well if the grass is short but when it get longer I need to stop and recharge it to complete the lawn *about 1000 square feet..
Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Bicyclist
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
It might be worth doing a little research on what's available other than what Lowes and Home Depot carry. On some TV program, they talked about and demoed some cordless gear that looked pretty good. Unfortunately, I can't remember the brand.

The subject interests me from the maintenance perspective. No oil to change, no filters, no fuel to drain, no problem getting started at the beginning of the season. The spousal unit could use an electric tiller for her garden. Something that is only used a couple of times a year is more trouble to maintain than it's worth, but if you can flip a switch, you're good.
Bicyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
a$$hole
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Half an acre and a narrow electric mower dosent sound like fun to me. Seems like it would take way to long but then again I'm pretty fat.
a$$hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #6
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,283
Read the original post, you might need a couple batteries to complete a half an acre mow. Buy some tools with batteries and some as bare tools. Keep the brand the same so batteries will be interchangeable.

What brand where you looking at? The only one I know of right now that is doing a complete line of tools is Ryobi.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #7
Joz
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 1,884
I mow my half acre with a Neuton battery powered mower. I think it's 36v. Even when the grass is thick it does the whole yard on a single charge. I love it.

"Get on with living or get on with dying" Paul Rodden 71 years old
Joz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #8
jeventures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
My experience with electric lawn tools is that if your yard is small enough for electric you should go straight to a reel mower. http://www.lowes.com/Lawn-Mowers/Pus...er-_-p&rpp=32#!
Old 05-22-2014, 09:55 AM   #9
bassogap
Haulin' the kids around

Oddometer: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeventures View Post
My experience with electric lawn tools is that if your yard is small enough for electric you should go straight to a reel mower.
Reel mowers work perfectly. Until you forget to mow for a few days, and the grass gets long. Where a power mower can cut through longer grass, the reel mower will have trouble.

Keep the lawn short, and mow it often, and the reel mower is the way to go.

That said...I have a Honda gas mower. Bigger yard, on a hill.
bassogap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,066
A half acre with an electric mower....why not a real mower? Guess it is better to convert coal into electrons so you can mow then to burn a gallon of gas?

This should be fun to watch
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #11
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,435
I have a 63x101 lot with a 24x50 house on it. If the grass gets too long, I have to recharge the battery pack (48VDC, 4x12VDC VRLA batteries) before finishing. Otherwise I'm a big fan, since I hate dealing with gas cans, oil changes, and the noise.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,366
If I had a smaller yard I would look into battery power.

The one thing that jumps out at me in the commercial for whichever model it is where the guy is pretending to use a gas mower is that the thing has headlights. I'm sure they are LED and low power but if you're mowing grass you want every ounce of power going to the blade, not the pretty stuff.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwscotty View Post
If I had a smaller yard I would look into battery power.

The one thing that jumps out at me in the commercial for whichever model it is where the guy is pretending to use a gas mower is that the thing has headlights. I'm sure they are LED and low power but if you're mowing grass you want every ounce of power going to the blade, not the pretty stuff.
That's why I push, rather than grab the drive handle.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #14
MrPulldown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,361
I have always used ICE lawn equipment. When we bought our house it came with a good sized lawn. My wife said she would mow it. Having mowed my share of lawns while in school I was glad to hand over the task to her. She wanted an electric mower. I looked into cordless, but decided against it. As any owner of a cordless drill/driver will know those batteries have limited life and are very expensive to replace. Read some forums and long term test. She actually wanted a corded mower anyways. Looked on Craigslist and bought a used corded mower and weed eater for $50. That was five years ago and both still rock.

I scoffed at the electric lawn tools at first as well. But now I am a convert. It is basically the same as vacuuming the lawn. Yes you have deal with a cord, but flipping the line around is pretty easy to do. I also use the mulching function and it is great, no dumping of bags of grass clippings. I thought the mulch would dry up and leave dead yellow grass clippings all over. Not the case. You do need to leave your lawn a little longer, no putting green shave. But a longer lawn is more water conservative. Also there is no maintenance at all. OK feeling the need to wrench on things I sharpened the mower blade and replaced the standard string with the star cross section stuff.

You can spend as much money and time as you would like on your lawn. But for me, I rather ride my motorcycle and play with my kids.

As far as your list of items I would just start with a mower and a trimmer and get each additional item as you need. All corded electric.

And NO BLOWER. Use a broom.
MrPulldown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #15
a1fa OP
Throttle Jockey™

Oddometer: 13,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
A half acre with an electric mower....why not a real mower? Guess it is better to convert coal into electrons so you can mow then to burn a gallon of gas?

This should be fun to watch
We don't burn coal here. We have nuclear power...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: