Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 485 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 PM   #1546
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Found a good mod pack that had most of the stuff I was using + a few extras
Dumgards Mod Pack

It includes the XVM mod, but you don't have to run it.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #1547
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
I've been winning from the assault side (with my team's help) a few times, I hope to talk with a few of you on TS about what I'm seeing to get your input on it.

I don't think anyone likes being on the assaulting side, but as long as we're stuck with this mode of playing... some valid tactics need to be hashed out.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #1548
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I've been winning from the assault side (with my team's help) a few times, I hope to talk with a few of you on TS about what I'm seeing to get your input on it.

I don't think anyone likes being on the assaulting side, but as long as we're stuck with this mode of playing... some valid tactics need to be hashed out.
I agree
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #1549
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
Quote:

Scout goes first to find where they are, then concentrate fire on their closest tanks first.

Repeat as necessary.

For this to work, the scout has to stay alive, so no sui-scouting!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #1550
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
Scout goes first to find where they are, then concentrate fire on their closest tanks first.

Repeat as necessary.

For this to work, the scout has to stay alive, so no sui-scouting!
The teams I've been on have been using something similar, but it was working with non-scout max view ranges. Again, taking out that which can be spotted - artillery is the key here, no matter how much you have nor how small - and a gradual moving forward to light them up while letting the rear-guns do the shooting. Taking very near the whole ten minutes to do it seems very common (to win from the assault side).

I was gonna just go over that on TS, but since you wrote a reply... I guess I'll write out what I've helped do, too.

One big problem from the assault side on at least one map is that the one team pretty much all stays in one small area. This is so ideal for the opposing team's artry that the last time I was spawned as defense, even with the big and slow KV-5, I beat-feet to a far & protected edge of the map to spot from a different perspective in a way that it took their arty quite some time to reposition to be able to lay damage. By that time the damage (i.e. my spotting) had been done.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #1551
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,805
Assult and Encounter turn this into a thinking-man's game, and that's what's pissing off all the kids.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #1552
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Assult and Encounter turn this into a thinking-man's game, and that's what's pissing off all the kids.
I agree. No wonton running for the flag blasting away at everything. I like both of those game plays, but have to work on tactics. I really don't have a good scout tank. The M26 with the net works fairly well as long as I don't move too much. It has 406 meter view range.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #1553
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,805
Quote:
The teams I've been on have been using something similar, but it was working with non-scout max view ranges. Again, taking out that which can be spotted - artillery is the key here, no matter how much you have nor how small - and a gradual moving forward to light them up while letting the rear-guns do the shooting. Taking very near the whole ten minutes to do it seems very common (to win from the assault side).

I was gonna just go over that on TS, but since you wrote a reply... I guess I'll write out what I've helped do, too.

One big problem from the assault side on at least one map is that the one team pretty much all stays in one small area. This is so ideal for the opposing team's artry that the last time I was spawned as defense, even with the big and slow KV-5, I beat-feet to a far & protected edge of the map to spot from a different perspective in a way that it took their arty quite some time to reposition to be able to lay damage. By that time the damage (i.e. my spotting) had been done.

I was just on the Assult side of Malinovka, headed up the hill, and made this suggestion rather strenuously. Being the top-rated tank didn't hurt, people listened, and we won 15-5. Strategy confirmed. It helped that the other team all went up on their ridge to protect the circle from there, and were easy to pick off at range since they didn't feel like mixing it up on the field.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #1554
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I was just on the Assult side of Malinovka, headed up the hill, and made this suggestion rather strenuously. Being the top-rated tank didn't hurt, people listened, and we won 15-5. Strategy confirmed. It helped that the other team all went up on their ridge to protect the circle from there, and were easy to pick off at range since they didn't feel like mixing it up on the field.
Dave and I had that happen on that map a couple of nights ago while we were playing arty on the attack side......it was like a shooting gallery. I'm finding that Prokarovka is pretty easy to win from the defensive side and Komarin is usually a close match from both sides.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #1555
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,377
On another note - here's the latest in WOT stupidity - guess which side I was on:

Old 06-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #1556
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Decided to take the plunge and see what all the hubbub is about. Finished off the training and attempting to learn my T-46, so far having a good time.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:42 PM   #1557
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,260
I thought I saw the team speak info on here but I looked back and couldn't find it. canz I get it?

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #1558
OConnor OP
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastleadam View Post
Decided to take the plunge and see what all the hubbub is about. Finished off the training and attempting to learn my T-46, so far having a good time.
Welcome aboard. If you would like to add us to your in-game contacts please state you handle and I will add it to the 1st page list.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #1559
OConnor OP
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
I thought I saw the team speak info on here but I looked back and couldn't find it. canz I get it?
I think it's in your PMs.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #1560
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Welcome aboard. If you would like to add us to your in-game contacts please state you handle and I will add it to the 1st page list.
"newcastleadam"

why mess with perfection?
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: