User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 385 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #1831
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,955
sometimes me and my IS get along rather well...

Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #1832
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I've got a number of arty's and their lack of accuracy is quite frustrating. I can wait, get the circle to it's smallest size, and still get "that was close!" multiple times in a row.

So, while it can do a lot of damage, it's not the Finger of God people make it out to be.
but when you knock out a biggie
as they wonder who is hitting them...its worth it
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #1833
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
So how do you use exp to upgrade or buy other tanks?

Their FAQ doesn't want me to know other than throwing money at them.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #1834
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

XP is gained through each tank, and saved in two ways. One, most of it is saved for immediate use for either that tank, or for the next-tier up tanks that can be researched from that tank. The other is 'free' XP that accumulates with all tanks, albeit it much more slowly, and can be used on any tank's research tree.

In the end, though, you need not only XP to research new modules or tanks, but the silver-money to buy those parts or tanks.

---------------

In other news, I had an incredible tier-10 game where I was in one of the most given-up-on and criticized tier 9's, the IS-8. My team wasn't doing so hot, so somehow it fell on me to take out three enemy tier ten tanks with my little and weak tier-9. And, yeah, I guess I took out a tier-9 as well there. This was all too-close-for-comfort fighting, and every one of them, except that arty, came in to finish me off.

All night last night I was getting platoon invites from old clan mates, including from two of you guys, and from some people I didn't recognize. Sorry, but I was already in platoons all night.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 03:44 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:09 AM   #1835
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I've got a number of arty's and their lack of accuracy is quite frustrating. I can wait, get the circle to it's smallest size, and still get "that was close!" multiple times in a row.

So, while it can do a lot of damage, it's not the Finger of God people make it out to be.
Sounds about like what I would expect....it is no big secret that I am not a fan of arty. I played it about 20 or so games and sold it off as being just way to easy...it was no fun, just hide in the back and pick people off as they battle with other tanks...too darn easy.

Last time I checked the name of this game is world of TANKS, now I do think there should be an arty aspect to the game but it should be a support function....something that will get the other guy to move, not one shot him.

I am open to someone to try to convince me that is it not the "finger of god"....how many times to you see games with 3 or so arty units and they have 6-7 kills....or in other words about half of the enemy force...this is out of ballance.

Now all this said I am finally to the point in the game where just about every arty unit has range over the entire map...I know this has all ben shrunk down to a game format...but in the real world where king tigers took out targets 2 miles away this map must scale to the range that would make 16" guns from the Missouri out of range...but yet this arty in the game sure does have the range....just crazy....and those that defend arty are a rabid bunch.

But I will say in a game last night with the sherman I was able to sneek up on all the arty and smoke all of them...I was killed in the end, but those three kills put a huge smile on my face.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #1836
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius View Post

A little more:

Each game you play you will get silver money...this money is used to repair your tank, buy the stock HE (high explosive) and AP (armor piercing) ammo...most tanks have gold ammo, but don't worry about that yet....on most of the tier 1 tanks the ammo is free for a few of the guns you can mount.

EXP you get when you do good in battle...the better you do the more you get. You don't have to get kills, but you do have to get hits that do damage...each one of those gets you exp. The exp is what you use to upgrade your existing tank or to buy a new tank.

Usually the higher tier tank you have the more exp and silver you make....but the upgrades cost more, and the repairs cost more....this is why you hear people talk about money making tanks....they use these to keep other tanks running.

The gold ammo costs real money and hits much harder....I have never used it. In my limited experence I have found that the gold tanks (premium) always make money, and are very cheap to repair.

Premium accounts get you more of everything, more exp and more silver during each battle....they had a free day months ago and I noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of xp and silver you get.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #1837
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I am open to someone to try to convince me that is it not the "finger of god"....how many times to you see games with 3 or so arty units and they have 6-7 kills....or in other words about half of the enemy force...this is out of ballance.

Meh. No disrespect meant to you, FPG, because I've played with you and know you've got talent, but...

All I can say is that I play arty, and I play tanks. I play one tier ten so far, and two tier nines much more, so it's not like I'm fast on the battlefield... yet I don't see arty as an overbearing problem, and there are players more astute than I who are really good at knowing all the places to be 'arty safe' while moving forward on the attack.

The only "Hand of God" that I've ever played was/is the Soviet S-51, and when I call it that, it is that when it hits. When it doesn't it also has a big effect on the game as Opfor who are cognizant about how the game works know that that S-51 that just missed will now take nearly a minute to reload, so all the better to make moves. Other same-tier arty can fire faster, but aren't as much to worry about.

I made a blind educated-guess cross-the-map shot on what was a last-seen moving Tiger II last night who was at 93% health... took him out. Sure, I'm sure he got mad, but it was my shot to waste, and my choice to take that shot over directly supporting my guys (at one shot a minute) and aiming for targets that could be seen on the map, of which I completely missed three earlier.

Arty isn't overpowered except against the hard-headed. Even with six large arty per side, those battles completely rely on the ability of each sides' tanks. The team of tanks who use the arty to their advantage will usually win over the team of tanks who cry "OMG LOOK AT ALL THE ARTY - THIS SUCKS!" and proceed to fail miserably at understanding what they need to do from the very beginning.

Pro-tip: they aren't spoken of much, and aren't used much anymore, but my theory is that you have to know your own play-style and each of your tanks. And I mean really know it, and admit it to yourself. If you study your play-style and come to admit to yourself that you're either hard-headed, dumb, super-aggressive, or just too unaware of arty-safe positions while driving slower, heavily armored tanks... a Spall Liner is not the waste of a modification most would make it out to be. Trust me on this as I'm admitting to being, at different times on different maps, all of those descriptors. On about three of my 17 tanks I have a spall liner, and boy does it help.

Keep in mind that most arty fires HE rounds, and that tank players are still taught to try to use High Explosive rounds against higher-tier tanks if they feel they won't penetrate with the gun they have (did I mention I took out damaged but mobile a tier nine M103 last night with four AP shots from my tier five PzK IV? That was awesome... but it takes knowing how to maneuver and where to hit. The comments from both sides were gratifying when that "PzK IV killed M103" message popped up.)

Anyway... In doing count-down teams I once ended up opposite of two of my clan mates, one of which was the captain of the clan who was also very, very skilled at a few of the tanks in his repertoire. Of those, he happened to be in his arty for this match, and immediately aiming for me - even though I was one under top tier for the battle - when I popped up on the map (so sorta a waste of shots unless you're either very worried about that player's ability or if you're just shooting him for sport / hierarchy to take out your clan-mate). He did his best to take me out with direct hits, but the only thing really damaged were my tracks in all of it. Other modules and all my crew stayed safe even though I did lose HP with each hit. He asked over TeamSpeak how I was doing after all of it, but I was both busy completing my push against his team, and dismissive, as it really didn't hurt my tanks' ability to kill at all - the cumulative effect only being that I lost HP. He was dumb-founded, but I didn't even hint to using that "waste" of a mod Spall Liner that would inevitably bring a long TeamSpeak clan discussion and me arguing a point that I really didn't want to argue as I really don't care if others don't use them... and in fact prefer that they don't use them, lol (I still use HE when shooting my one tier-8 against enemy tier-8's in certain situations... imagine my dismay if they would start using spall liners, lol).

If you're good with your tanks - really good - you won't ever complain about arty in the game because you won't need to (and I say that from listening and teaming with players who are really, really good, not from my own personal experience ... those 58% to 60% win-ratio tier-9/tier-10 guys aren't complaining about arty like the less-talented do on the WoT forums). Otherwise, it's up to you to decide if a spall liner is worth it for your tank's speed and your play-style.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 05:30 AM
Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #1838
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
Cool2

I enjoy playing (lower tier) arty, have decent results in my SU-26 in both of my account, with multiple TopGuns. It's my ususal decent credit & EXP maker and help me maintain my win/loss ratio.

The premuim French tier 4 arty is a great credit farmer for me, 10k profit are common even with loss in battle. So far, I'm slowly progressing from tier 5 to 6 French arty; looking forward to the turning turret of Bat Chat 155 arty.

Just finished researching the Hummel, still don't have enough credit to buy it with all the proper modules.. waiting for one of those weekend specials to come up before spending the hard earned credits. This game takes dicipline
Old 07-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #1839
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,722
I had several kills last night in the Stug where I couldn't see teh enemy guy, but I shot along his tracer to the point of origin. After playing mediums where you have to move a lot, the TD is completely different.

I'm liking the PzIV with the long gun too. A little more armor would be nice I think. It should only get better wieh the crew gets to 100% too. I had a fun 5kill game last night defending Karelia (sp?) the SU 26 on our team got one more kill than me. He was well sited, and did a good job blunting thrusts and the final killing blow on tanks that were hiding from direct fire. I don't mind arty taking the final kill, because other than chest thumping, that number doesn't mean much.

The long 75 and the top gun on the Stug3 are different aren't they? Everything WoT is blocked at work.

I checked the stats on my Priest (my son showed me where all the awards and crap was) I have a 47% win ratio on that, Master gunner 1st class, Invader, top gun, sniper, and kamikaze Iv'e gotten typed at in mean fashion for kills on that, but the 105 on that doesn't deal a huge blow. I usually have to hit things 3-4 times. And if I can hit you 3-4 times in a row, you are doing something wrong!

Now, the M12 OTOH, that can do some serious damage.......if I hit anything. usually that's classified more as an area denial weapon

That's it! Cluster munitions with mines! I better send a request in! The 105 had it in 1961
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:15 AM   #1840
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I see where you are coming from, but my point is that arty should kill a lot less, be more of a support (as it is) role, and not the game changer that it is. I know this is a russian game and in this time frame arty was the name of the game for the soviets...they loved the stuff, and was a game changer (some think) for them against the germans, and I am sure this is why it is so strong in the game. But this game should be between tanks. I hope they don't have AA in world of warplanes, it would be the same thing.

I play the game for the tank to tank battles, I like the stalking, snipe, hunting...crazy fast speedy tanks making an insane run just to spot for arty that will one shot you (my churchill was one shotted by a 41 last night...and I was 100%). If it tracks me fine, damages my gun fine, does a number on the crews on open top td's fine, or hurts crews in full armored tanks fine. But actually making kills is something that should happen once in a great while in indirect fire modes...it should damage like HE from the tanks....a little here and a little there, direct hits should be like rolling yahtzee...now direct fire is another ball of wax.

Don't take it out of the game, but have it be (in indirect mode) a little more true to history.

It is my one pet peeve in this game, I can live with all the rest of the historical inaccuracy in the name of game play.

I think I can play this game ok, I have my days when I just play to drive the tanks around and don't really care ( blame that on Dr's and meds) but when I am on I think I can play....this is why I don't platoon much with you guys...I am just not in the right frame of mind to play the game right....and I admit this could be part of why I hate arty so much....sometimes I do play very stupid....but I will stick to my guns (for now) and think that arty should be more of a support function and the battle should be won or lost by the tanks....and games where 3 units have more then half the kills and those units are arty, the arty is changing the game not the tanks.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 AM   #1841
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I see where you are coming from, and agree with you - but there is a limiting tactical factor in the game, it's just that most arty players don't use it... and that is that to really benefit your team for the amount of damage you do as arty, taking those kill-shots should be very limited when you can, and should, be applying your gun to tanks with health so high that you can take the biggest chunk out of them.

Just last week I was close enough to see one of our arty land a shot on a tank that had 41 hit-points left... this, when the battle was certainly in no way decided, with plenty of targets with more health on the map to be injured, and the longer re-load time of arty... my arty wastes his shot on a tank I could have taken out by ramming it.

But that aside, how would you propose a limiting factor to keep arty as support vs. getting the kill amounts?

I can think of a number of things to try, one of which would be closer to reality by actually making their aim circle bigger, or even the same, with no real hope of hitting center-of-aim, but allowing all arty to fire much faster.

This, then, would be like rain hitting an area for true area denial art effects while not giving arty any real hope of actually aiming for one specific tank. And all at arty's monetary loss for the numbers of rounds they have to buy back at the end of each game. So, sure, they could really focus on a specific route and two or three of them could just rain rounds down like hail, but those players would also be sure to end up losing credits even at the end of a win with all the ammo shot.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #1842
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,955
I'll never sell my PzIV or Stug. With 100% crews and top gear, they're quite fun. Long range snipers.

I also have the Hummel researched, but like the Grille so much I don't know if I want to upgrade. Waiting for a sale to pick up a gun drive thing for faster aim time.

Artillery is fun to play, but it isn't point/click/kill. Unless you're hitting a TD...

You still have to position yourself to cover parts of the map, move to get shells around obstacles, hide from scouts, etc... Quite a few times I've been focused on nailing a heavy across the map and don't see the scout sitting behind me. Its all about position and getting support from your team.

There was a post around here, showing how to aim artillery. I found it very helpful, showing the geometry on why to aim where.

I've only done it a few times, but I love hitting a T50 on the run.

I came across one of the high tier French artillery last night when playing the KV3. Thing took two point blank hits from a 122mm gun to knock out.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #1843
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I

I'm liking the PzIV with the long gun too. A little more armor would be nice I think. It should only get better wieh the crew gets to 100% too. I had a fun 5kill game last night defending Karelia (sp?) the SU 26 on our team got one more kill than me. He was well sited, and did a good job blunting thrusts and the final killing blow on tanks that were hiding from direct fire. I don't mind arty taking the final kill, because other than chest thumping, that number doesn't mean much.
This is along the lines of what I am talking about...a su26 got 6 kills, one arty, a IV got 5 and that is a good long range support tank, and it can go toe to toe with like tier tanks.

I guess I just think that for a TANK game arty (that is not a tank) getting that many kills is not right....but the game is what the game is, and the folks that make it want arty to have a very powerfull role in the game...is what it is...nothing I can do about it...but this is not a tank game...it is an arty game and the tanks support the arty, keep them away, defend them, scout for them....don't think so, it would be nice to see a game with one side arty and the other without....9 times out of 10 the arty would win hands down. eh I don't care.

Again it could all be my frame of mind...I was in a real bad mood last night, came close to pulling the trigger on a team mate that cut in front of me and took a kill...I did not, but the thought crossed my mind. Fuckin' Dr's and all their crap.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #1844
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
But that aside, how would you propose a limiting factor to keep arty as support vs. getting the kill amounts?

I can think of a number of things to try, one of which would be closer to reality by actually making their aim circle bigger, or even the same, with no real hope of hitting center-of-aim, but allowing all arty to fire much faster.

This, then, would be like rain hitting an area for true area denial art effects while not giving arty any real hope of actually aiming for one specific tank. And all at arty's monetary loss for the numbers of rounds they have to buy back at the end of each game. So, sure, they could really focus on a specific route and two or three of them could just rain rounds down like hail, but those players would also be sure to end up losing credits even at the end of a win with all the ammo shot.
This is how it should be, and you can change the way arty is in the game all together, give them more ammo have them cost less to re supply, and to repair.

But to deny a specific area to the enemy is one thing, and would put the team really into the game....arty would stop activity in X area you advance in Y, or you can walk the arty in front of an advancing force...or have a main attack go to X and a light with arty support walking in front of the advancing units in Y, doing damage and making the advance that much better...this is also where my smoke idea comes in.

It is fun to talk about but I know it will never happen.....I am still happy with the game, when I am not I will quit, pretty simple....just a game.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #1845
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
But to deny a specific area to the enemy is one thing, and would put the team really into the game....arty would stop activity in X area you advance in Y, or you can walk the arty in front of an advancing force...or have a main attack go to X and a light with arty support walking in front of the advancing units in Y, doing damage and making the advance that much better...this is also where my smoke idea comes in.
I like that idea, but you can't really deny an area with one tube. To do what you are saying, (and I do agree that arty is too target specific, but I have fun playing it!) you would need a platoon of arty itself.

The Battle of Kursk, often cited as the greatest tank battle inthe history of the world showed the Russians with over 20,000 artillery pieces and only 3600tanks.

Count your lucky stars that arty isn't given the multiple shells on target perk
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: