Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 433 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #1846
Ebein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I am open to someone to try to convince me that is it not the "finger of god"....how many times to you see games with 3 or so arty units and they have 6-7 kills....or in other words about half of the enemy force...this is out of ballance.
I see far fewer Arty's with 6-7 kills than I do tanks and td's. I have several 7-8 kill matches in Heavies, best Arty match Ive played is 4 kills, and two of those where in TD mode.

Is it equally out of balance when I get 6-7 kills in my JagPanzer IV, or Wolverine or SU-85? without ever being seen or fired upon because of smart placement and patience?

Should they remove the T1 Heavy, KV-1 and Panzer IV because Ive gotten 8 kills in those tanks?
http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/00FF00/0.../signature.png
Ebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #1847
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
XP is gained through each tank, and saved in two ways. One, most of it is saved for immediate use for either that tank, or for the next-tier up tanks that can be researched from that tank. The other is 'free' XP that accumulates with all tanks, albeit it much more slowly, and can be used on any tank's research tree.

In the end, though, you need not only XP to research new modules or tanks, but the silver-money to buy those parts or tanks.
Quote:
A little more:

Each game you play you will get silver money...this money is used to repair your tank, buy the stock HE (high explosive) and AP (armor piercing) ammo...most tanks have gold ammo, but don't worry about that yet....on most of the tier 1 tanks the ammo is free for a few of the guns you can mount.

EXP you get when you do good in battle...the better you do the more you get. You don't have to get kills, but you do have to get hits that do damage...each one of those gets you exp. The exp is what you use to upgrade your existing tank or to buy a new tank.

Usually the higher tier tank you have the more exp and silver you make....but the upgrades cost more, and the repairs cost more....this is why you hear people talk about money making tanks....they use these to keep other tanks running.

The gold ammo costs real money and hits much harder....I have never used it. In my limited experence I have found that the gold tanks (premium) always make money, and are very cheap to repair.

Premium accounts get you more of everything, more exp and more silver during each battle....they had a free day months ago and I noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of xp and silver you get.

Hope this helps.
Yeah, I finally figureed it out last night.

Exp. buys research.

Silver buys ammo, repairs, upgrades and tanks.

Thanks guys!

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #1848
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,230
Arty breaks up camps. If you don't wanna get shelled, attack in force.

Some of the most worthless matches I have played were matches with zero arty players. Invariably, they are draws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I've got a number of arty's and their lack of accuracy is quite frustrating.
Wait till you get to a higher teir. My S-51 match last night was 5 shots, 0 hits, 4 killed.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:39 AM   #1849
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
The Battle of Kursk, often cited as the greatest tank battle inthe history of the world showed the Russians with over 20,000 artillery pieces and only 3600tanks.
Holy Hell! I didn't know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
Arty breaks up camps. If you don't wanna get shelled, attack in force.

Some of the most worthless matches I have played were matches with zero arty players. Invariably, they are draws.
Very interesting theory. I haven't looked for it, but it may be why arty are so persistent in the War Gaming version of a tank game. After all, without arty wouldn't one tactic be to have all 15, or two groups of 7 and 8, slowly move across a map as a tightly clustered ball? Put the heaviest frontal armor in front, or even the second-heaviest, and move forward with all guns. Variations of that would be non-realistic on open battlefields, but with the game mechanics of not damaging teammates with bumps and grinds under 20 km/hour... it wouldn't have the pitfalls of a real-life cluster that would eventually get bombed or artied.

Quote:
Wait till you get to a higher teir. My S-51 match last night was 5 shots, 0 hits, 4 killed.
Mere mortals and guys who play any arty other than the Soviet S-51 really don't fully understand the splash damage the S-51, and it's bigger brothers, dishes out. It's incredible compared to, say, my same tier GW Panther.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #1850
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebein View Post
I see far fewer Arty's with 6-7 kills than I do tanks and td's. I have several 7-8 kill matches in Heavies, best Arty match Ive played is 4 kills, and two of those where in TD mode.

Is it equally out of balance when I get 6-7 kills in my JagPanzer IV, or Wolverine or SU-85? without ever being seen or fired upon because of smart placement and patience?

Should they remove the T1 Heavy, KV-1 and Panzer IV because Ive gotten 8 kills in those tanks?
I am 180 from that, I see a far higher percentage of kills going to the 3 or so arty units then the 10 or so tank units.

When you get those kills in your IV or whatever, you are playing the game as I see it is suppose to be played...again that is (I) see it.

It is a tank vs. tank game.....and in the few matches I have played with no arty people do not ball up any more then they do naturally...we all know the lemming line....you will always have that, but you will always have a few that will split off from the pack to hit in the side or rear of two groups in a nose to nose slug fest...and this is usually how I play. I will use the tank in one of two ways....sit and wait, or try to hit them in the side or butt...this is how I got the 3 arty units I talked about before...two big balls of tanks going nose to nose and I sneek down the middle and pop the one TD on guard duty and then the 3 arty units....so they still ball up.

As to should they remove this or that, no but there are some changes that need to be made...and I think they are making them some better (38NA) some worse (Pz III) as well as other little changes here and there. I think that in the end it will all ballance out.

I am not coming into this debate blind I have played arty...abit not much, and I found it VERY easy...yes it is fun for a while, but it was just so nothing to me, I like the close (even a snipe at 600m) is close for me that the tanks offer. And I would be happy if is was just not so darn accurate....give them more ammo but take away their laser guided shells. Indirect fire from one arty unit was never like this, sure it happened but not like in the game....but then it is a game, not a sim.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1851
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I like that idea, but you can't really deny an area with one tube. To do what you are saying, (and I do agree that arty is too target specific, but I have fun playing it!) you would need a platoon of arty itself.

The Battle of Kursk, often cited as the greatest tank battle inthe history of the world showed the Russians with over 20,000 artillery pieces and only 3600tanks.

Count your lucky stars that arty isn't given the multiple shells on target perk
The soviets loved arty, all forms from rocket mounted trucks to full on heavy guns, but they really never did the SP thing in mass...they needed the chassis for tanks. Towed arty was the name of the game for the soviets for a very long time.

I like the tank battles during the israeli-arab wars, sure there was air power, but some of those tank engagements are pertty intresting. And I for one am suprised we don't have a super sherman in this game....it would sure fit.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #1852
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,113
Quote:
The soviets loved arty, all forms from rocket mounted trucks to full on heavy guns, but they really never did the SP thing in mass...they needed the chassis for tanks. Towed arty was the name of the game for the soviets for a very long time.

I like the tank battles during the israeli-arab wars, sure there was air power, but some of those tank engagements are pertty intresting. And I for one am suprised we don't have a super sherman in this game....it would sure fit.
And that's the point. Its a game, not totally based on reality.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1853
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
I like the tank battles during the israeli-arab wars, sure there was air power, but some of those tank engagements are pertty intresting. ....
Where would one go to read up on why you find those specific battles so interesting? Sounds like good reading to me.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1854
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I don't recall you dominating anything last night. And I had 2-3 rounds on each of you, before someone else came in and claimed the kills.

I don't recall being in my 85 in that match.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #1855
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
And that's the point. Its a game, not totally based on reality.
Yup...at all. Just personally I think it would be more fun without.

I go back to my AA comment for WoW....it would be the same.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #1856
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,914
Quote:
Where would one go to read up on why you find those specific battles so interesting? Sounds like good reading to me.
Lots of info here and here
I'm more of a WW2 buff, but the Isreali vs. Arab tank battles were also interesting to follow. Playing Steel Panthers in it's various guises opened up Isreali tactics and equipment to me.

I'd love to have an Isreali line of tanks. But I think the political ramifications would never allow that to happen.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #1857
janeuner
Get Some

Quote:
After all, without arty wouldn't one tactic be to have all 15, or two groups of 7 and 8, slowly move across a map as a tightly clustered ball? Put the heaviest frontal armor in front, or even the second-heaviest, and move forward with all guns.
Well, I play randoms almost exclusively. I didn't even play a high-tier platoon until joining FYYFF, and I know fuck all about real world tank maneuvers (if they even apply). But here is what I've seen in that limited scope.

I see the clustered ball mentality all the time, they always seem to stop in some defensive position. The aggressive ones get killed early. The defensive ones use their hulls to entrench. World War One in 15 minutes.

However, when arty is on the map, at least one will eventually redeploy to shell the tank clusters, forcing them into action. The reaction varies, but it always moves the match forward.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #1858
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Admittedly, even tier 8's adn 9's learn fast, albeit the hard way, when one of my S-51 shots land between them and the both lose 300 to +500 hit-points. I relish those moments.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 07-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #1859
janeuner
Get Some

Quote:
Badass of the Week: Zvika Greengold

The guy is a walking textbook on the topic of slaughtering armor. I'm sure that page is embellished a bit, but the other accounts (including those from the Arab side) are downright entertaining to read.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1860
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Badass of the Week: Zvika Greengold

The guy is a walking textbook on the topic of slaughtering armor. I'm sure that page is embellished a bit, but the other accounts (including those from the Arab side) are downright entertaining to read.
Jesus C... thanks for that. I'm saving the long Wiki articles for later, but that was incredible.

Is it only me, or were you guys thinking "Jesus, I've had a few WoT battles just like that" where it was you supporting each flank and running back and forth to cover and kill all you could? Except, of course, his was real.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: