Do you do anything but play WoT???
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #2477
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Did you check the battle stats? Over 14K battles!

Someone has too much time on their hands.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #2478
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post

He registered his account on 02.09.2011, so... 21,487 battles. I could be very wrong, but that seems like 590 days of playing, so on average 36.418644067796610169491525423729 battles a day.

Wow, you're right... that's one hard-playing retired (?!) gentleman.

Edit: with an average of playing that specific scout tank 24.9 times a day.
Somebody check my math

----------

I looked at his player stats yesterday and while I didn't see his join date, I did see that he focused on one tank like no other... and I find that very respectable. I think it's just incredible what he accomplished with 20K games and that crew where-as I have something near 10k games with SpearFisher ... but am instead focusing on quite a few tanks.

I've often thought this game would be more productive playing with such a focus, and initially tried to do that with my Corbon account... I was going to limit it to the winning-est Russian (which are usually already winning-er) tanks and just work up that line. Somewhere I branched off to try new things, again, and ... ugh, I'm in the same mess I was in with the other account.

The only thing I've done recently that in any way is trying to work up a crew like that ... not that I was looking at it that way ... was that I both found the T29 on sale, and found my T32-but-ex-T29 crew languishing in the Barracks since I sold the T32 as soon as I could. Well, in came an old favorite - I bought back the T29, retrained the crew for it, but now with far more perks, and started having fun in tier 7's again with that tank's rightful crew. The only other tier 7 I have that I am considering keeping is the T25 AT, but then I haven't really played all lines' mediums. The JagPanther, Tiger, Tiger P, T25/2, Panther and whatever other tier 7 I have can go when I'm done researching them.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 10:10 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #2479
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Wow, you're right... that's one hard-playing retired (?!) gentleman.
or a kid ....
Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #2480
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
or a kid ....
I really REALLY can't see a kid being THAT focused...
Barike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:23 AM   #2481
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barike View Post
I really REALLY can't see a kid being THAT focused...
and no modern kid... well... none on the American server I'd think, would have the strong focus on German tanks that he does. Seems more of an older history buff (they are about the only ones who cherish the German line in WoT instead of being critical of how poorly the upper-tier German tanks perform).

From what I'm seeing, he's also his clan's leader? Oh, with two members, total... so all that playing is probably public battles with public problematic-players. He'd be winning even more if he were to be using his scouting skills for guys that could use them.

Quote:
One of Tazilon's replies to a question
Quote:
weesh, on Sep 18 2012 - 07:16, asked:
Suppose I am a light tank, I race out to a good vantage, hide behind a bush, and wait for the enemy to appear, and my heavies to arrive. As far as I know, I haven't made a mistake yet.

Then some enemy tanks start appearing. At what point do I run away, and do I take a shot at the leader first?
It seems clear that if I can run without being seen, I should do that at the last possible minute before they notice me, but if running will cause me to be seen, it seems that taking a shot first is advisable.

Then, I suppose I should retreat by moving directly backwards? Even though it might be slower than the advancing tanks?
Lots of unanswered questions here:

How far away is the closest tank? How many tanks are firing on the tanks you see? What kind of scout are you in? Where are you on the map? These questions, and others, must be known in order to give you a decent answer.

As a general rule, you don't want to fire when you are Ninja Scouting HOWEVER - there are many times where it is perfectly safe to do so. Without knowing more, one can't adequately answer that part of the question.

As far as running away, if you don't fire and are COMPLETELY concealed by the bush, they can get to 50m and not see you. Once they get to 49m, you are proxy spotted. So, when do you run? How fast can you accelerate? How close is some kind of cover? How much of a gambler are you? Unless you have the firepower behind you to kill the approaching tanks before they get 49m away, you probably want to get away before they get too close, but there isn't enough info to give you a cut and dried answer.

When I wait til they get close, I shoot just a millisecond before I start to move. If possible I usually aim to hit their gun and hopefully, knock it out. Otherwise I try to track them and hope their spinning sideways throws off their first shot.

On maps such as Malinovka Assault Offense, I frequently end up 70-80m away from an enemy and sit there as quiet as a mouse waiting on my team to kill the tank or tanks I see. On other maps, I bail way before an enemy closes to within 150m because I know I must leave or risk not getting away.

Everything a Scout does is highly Situational. Learn the limits and capabilities of your tank and how to play accordingly. It is important to learn the rules such as "Don't fire when Passive Scouting." and "Stay Alive - You can't help your team if you're dead". But, to truly excel, it is just as important to learn when to break the rules.
He knows his stuff. Why he's not in a big clan now, or anymore, is a question.

And this post is excellent for a run-down of the top-tier scout tanks' pros and cons: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....3#entry2678963

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-21-2012 at 10:35 AM
Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #2482
Ebein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
You had better break some rules and let us know whats up.

Nevermind....just checked my email and saw this:

Congratulations, you are now a World of Warplanes test pilot!
This means that you can participate in Closed Beta Testing
3 of us now, how many does it take to start the clan?
http://wotlabs.net/sig_cust/00FF00/0.../signature.png
Ebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #2483
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,123
I just don't get the clan wars thing. I think it could be fun if you could use all tier tanks, but as it is not fun to me at all.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #2484
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
Did you check the battle stats? Over 14K battles!

Someone has too much time on their hands.
According to his WoT forum profile:

I am a retired USAF weather forecaster. I spent about 1/4 of my time in the AF in a special ops unit called a Special Operations Weather Team (SOWT). At the time, my unit infiltrated in 2 man teams behind enemy lines and sent point specific, mission specific forecasts and observations from data denied areas critical to joint operations. Born in PA; living now in Mesquite, Texas. I like to play disc golf, ride my bike (bicycle) and play WoT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebein View Post
My cat0020 account has been on WoWp since June.. more of a bomber player myself.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #2485
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

I'm... Jealous!!!! I want on WoWP!!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #2486
Rafiki
Some Dude

Oddometer: 1,737
Ive been on and off of wowp for a couple months now.....

"Monkey killing Monkey over pieces of ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club, And beat their brother down."
Rafiki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2487
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Well, just played my first high-stakes clan battle ever... I mean, I've played other people's accounts for clan battles as a fill-in, but this was my own tank with a new clan that my group (Brothers in Steel - we merged with a bigger, even better, clan) was eager to impress.

Jesus, I sure hope they're all like this:

In over 10k battles (I think I have) this may be the only, or one of only two or three, battles in which my team didn't lose anyone. For me, that's really rare... 15:1 or 15:2 is the most common way a blow-out goes. Edit: I was tired and not sure why I was looking at that like a blow-out. We capped. Damn, I'm not sure what I was thinking... still impressive that we didn't lose any, but wow did I mess up on where I went with that...

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-22-2012 at 01:05 PM
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #2488
OConnor OP
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebein View Post

+1
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #2489
Barike
Spindly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post

+1