Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 399 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #2551
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
jumping into a lake is not advised
I was able to make it to a little island on one of the maps, then come up from another side....they never saw me coming.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #2552
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I was able to make it to a little island on one of the maps, then come up from another side....they never saw me coming.
Which map was that?

I've seen people start to use the island on Prokhorovkaat at A 9 for assaults:

The training rooms were pretty busy for those of us who didn't test the beta but needed to learn the ins and outs of the physics and advantageous places for different maps. Then you have the guys just learning it by going straight into battle, then falling into the water, or off a cliff, and hurting their own team by taking themselves out... wow are there some tards out in the public battles. Training rooms refresh about every 15 minutes (they have a timer)... is it that difficult to wait to get in one (if you don't want to create one yourself)?

Anyway, for incline that look close to scalable, but aren't, a conga-line of tanks, nuts to butts, can push one or two tanks up to an area that any single tank, alone, can't climb to. Kinda neat, but we're hard pressed to see an advantage to tying up three or four tanks at the beginning of a game to do the maneuver, while at the same time allowing the opposing force to take that much more territory.

With enough time tanks can get up to the castle ruins, or towers, at F 6 on Mountain Pass but, again, is it really worth it?

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 10:01 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #2553
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
rammed a marder with the pz111 at full speed
thought i was going to jump him
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #2554
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Which map was that?
This one:

It was on an assault mission....the little part of the lake up by the II....there is a small island there and you can go to that island to keep from killing your crew, then you can sneek up the hill to the little group of trees and have a good shot on the church where that side usually has a battle.....they never saw me coming.

Hope I explained it well.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #2555
newcastleadam
Artful Tagger

Oddometer: 3,455
Quote:
This one:

It was on an assault mission....the little part of the lake up by the II....there is a small island there and you can go to that island to keep from killing your crew, then you can sneek up the hill to the little group of trees and have a good shot on the church where that side usually has a battle.....they never saw me coming.

Sometimes arty will set up around that lake, provides a good church shot.
KLR Doohickey Wrench available!
The North Florida Tag-O-Rama wants YOU!
newcastleadam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #2556
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,369
am I the only one that thinks the IS 3 is worthless? MY T34 is a better tank
Old 09-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #2557
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
This one:

Yep - I understand and see how the trees on the line going up to the church would hide you. Neat.

There is now an Encounter fight on that map as well.

It was a surprise, and a tough fight, but the random team I was on won it... barely. While it's not my favorite thing to do, counter-arty without having scouts (ours died far earlier than I could have taken a shot) is a skill that is becoming a must-learn for any arty player now... especially with tier ten tanks on the ground and larger arties in the bush.

Don't forget to put in XVM 3.0.1 http://code.google.com/p/wot-xvm/downloads/list , and that farther zoom-out camera mod is a help in cities, and seems to work OK for me in 8.0 despite it being the older version. I can't find it on normal downloads, so I put it up on Google documents... hopefully you guys can download it from there:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzok...l3WGZvUzA/edit - it goes in the WoT folder under res_mods / 0.8.0 / gui / flash folder. I had to create the gui and flash folders for 0.8.0 to put it in there.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 11:18 AM
Old 09-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #2558
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Don't forget to put in XVM 3.0.1 http://code.google.com/p/wot-xvm/downloads/list , and that farther zoom-out camera mod is a help in cities, and seems to work OK for me in 8.0 despite it being the older version. I can't find it on normal downloads, so I put it up on Google documents... hopefully you guys can download it from there:https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bzok...l3WGZvUzA/edit - it goes in the WoT folder under res_mods / 0.8.0 / gui / flash folder. I had to create the gui and flash folders for 0.8.0 to put it in there.
Thanks. I usually try copying my previous mods folder to the new version first, but it's hit and miss. The Zoom is one of my favorites so at least I should be good to go there If I don't still have the vast version saved separately.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #2559
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I was reading that some Zoom mod wasn't working well with 8.0, and that file seemed different than the one I had... that's why I uploaded the version I had.

There again, I can't quite see how any file named something other than a specific name would work, or be utilized, to zoom out with a game. Maybe they are all the same file, or named the same... but they didn't seem named alike.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #2560
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
am I the only one that thinks the IS 3 is worthless? MY T34 is a better tank
Well, I am not sure I've ever gone up against a really good T34 player in my IS-3, but I still consider the IS-3 to be the king of tier 8's ... as do successful Company Battle teams.

Perhaps we're all looking at it wrong though?

For 242 battles I have a 54.9% win ratio in my IS-3, and a 1780 efficiency rating (used to be 1800 a short time ago).

For my T34 I have 51.6% wins for 315 battles, and a 1691 Efficiency Rating.

My average XP is a mere 3 points higher in the IS-3, with the damage being less than 100 points more per game than the T34.

But then the T34's stats were wiped clean and restarted when it became a Tier 8 premium tank. This means that, from the get-go, it had all of its equipment. Moreover, since it became a premium so late in the game, I had had plenty of time to screw up and/or learn tactics, and the need to work up to the better gun and turret on the IS-3... so those less than stellar games are in my IS-3 stats.

I'd have to say the IS-3 is the better tank - unless there was some nerf for 8.0 that I don't know about.

-------

I'd almost claim that the IS-3 and the T34 have equal guns, though I ended up with some surprising big hits with the IS-3 in a game last evening, so I'm not sure.

The T34 is fine for camping and hull-down emplacements, but the IS-3 both has the angled armor and the mobility (i.e. speed) to get things done.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 09-27-2012 at 12:43 PM
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #2561
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,007
I hate what they did to the PzIV. No more sniping across the map.

The little ELC jumps well on dunes. Was circling a KV5, pecking him to death in the open while his turret just turned. Then some asshat came by and stole my kill.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #2562
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

WoT Logger - A stats program that has a DOS window running in the background, like XVM, to show you your stats with individual tanks.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.p...9-wot-logger2/

Perhaps it was of more use before 8.0 where we didn't have detailed after-battle info if we left a battle early, but it still has some use in Efficiency per tank data and maybe some other stuff I'm not focusing on.

For the life of me I can't get a screenshot or Print Screen of mine, but here is the example given by the developer:

Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #2563
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
I use this one. WOT Statistics
Does pretty much the same thing.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #2564
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,190
IMHO, T-32 and IS-3 are very similar vehicles. The KV-4 is decent. The two German tanks are squishy and comically slow. The French T8 heavy is just unfortunate.

If I was going to pick a T8 to cruise around in, it would probably be the IS-3 on account of the BL-9 390hp/225pen alpha.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #2565
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
I hate what they did to the PzIV. No more sniping across the map.

The little ELC jumps well on dunes. Was circling a KV5, pecking him to death in the open while his turret just turned. Then some asshat came by and stole my kill.
I jumped the sherman....by mistake on a dune and busted a track.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: