User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 234 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #2641
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,744
I run my Tiger II one to three games a night depending on how long it takes to get the 2X XP. then it's down to the PZIV 3601 and the Tiger. sometimes mix in a TD or a shout in there.

I I have to say the Tiger II is a little better now. the gun actually does what it should now, but it's armor is still soft for it's size i think. But my hit ratio is the best on it over my other tanks.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #2642
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
With a tier 8 premium tank, even without a premium account, I can generally play my non-premium tier 8's and 9's without worry.

Due to that equipment sale (where I bought all the repair kits) I did end up in a tank company in my IS-4 where, after winning a hard-fought battle but losing my tank, I couldn't afford to fix it and put ammo in it.

But I think the game has changed, and where so many of us used to be very happy and content to stay with the tier 5's and just play those, the influx of ever-worse players at low tiers, and the neutering of the original KV-1 and PzIV, leave the tier 5 class feeling like they ought to just call it the Churchill class - and I don't own a Churchill.

Over the last two days a clan mate and I have been spending hours grinding tier 7 tanks and TD's, and I've come to realize that this tier 7 class offers so much variation and relatively good tanks that it is now the class I choose to play with a non-premium account.

Granted, not all tier 7's are keepers, but when fully researched I've not found any tier 7's that are garbage, either.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #2643
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
So many of us used to be very happy and content to stay with the tier 5's ... I've come to realize that this tier 7 class offers so much variation and relatively good tanks that it is now the class I choose to play with a non-premium account.
I agree, anything tier 5-7 good fun.

Any tier 6 is a match for a churchill - just aim at the turret. Same story for an elite tier 5. The mantlet is <100mm thick.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #2644
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
The processor is in-store pickup only, and there's no stores anywhere near me. I was going to have a local guy do the upgrades for me the install Windows 7 instead of vista. I can swap parts easy enough, but am quite a dumbass when it comes to making em work together or any software issues.

This morning I played a bit before my doctor appointment and it ran down to .25 fps and I ended up shooting as it lagged and shot a team mate and knocked him down to 1% health. He said no worries, but I still hate it.

I'm pretty much stuck sniping for now. I can't drive anywhere without my fps dropping to unplayable levels. I can't even play arty effectively now. And with my recent hospital stay, upgrades are out of budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
Microcenter special!

This... http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...MD_Motherboard

and this... http://www.microcenter.com/product/3...oxed_Processor

Add them both to the cart. The cost of the mobo drops to $10. Total pretax/shipping is $120. Pretty good deal imho.

For video, Radeon 7750 is the best card you can get that doesn't require a $60+ power supply. You could run medium details in WoT without ever dipping below 20 fps. If you have a good power supply, the Radeon 6850 is still the best bang-for-buck that I know of.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #2645
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
They did take the teeth out of arty - the last 'really good' game I had in my S-51 lost credits. Arty used to make money. Most of us have stopped playing the class, but I want to open that slot so I need to finish researching the S-51 before I sell it.

Always remember that if arty is such a menace to you, nearly every tank has a spall liner available. I don't run spall liners with nimble tanks and mediums, but by the time I get to a tier 9 heavy, or perhaps on something as slow as the KV-4, they are a strong consideration.

Me, I'm just fine with arty that way it is - even in that match I had with ten arty per side that included GW Type E's. The game may have other issues that would deter me from giving them money, but arty that is actually playing, and helping their team, isn't one of them.
I don't think the spall liners would be much help.....I like other people have said have stopped at Tier 7....I may or may not work my way up to the other tanks...there are some that I wanted to try, Patton, pershing, T-54, Tiger II, but that is about all. As I said before I enjoy the heck out of my tier 2 and 3 tanks....it is more fun for me to make money and skill up a tank crew (that seems to be taking longer now as well).

I have a little gold left and I save that for moving equipment around....once it is gone it is gone....unless they do something about the arty....and let me be clear on my view on this.....it is just too darn "finger of god" I kept track last night...partly just to do a little research....I stayed still....and in the 2 hrs I played the game I was first shot killed by arty in 12 out of 22 games. In all different tiers. Arty should not be that accurate even on a non moving target....we are talking about inderect fire here. I have had the cross hairs on a tank less then 50m away and missed....and inderect fire from arty can drop the shell down the hatch.....nope.

Make the splash damage more, make the damage to open top AFV's more...but droping a shell down the hatch should have the same chance as hitting the powerball.

I just play the game with a different mindset now.....and a great deal less.....I would have walked away if not for the new 8.0...I love the way they have the tanks move now.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #2646
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I have a little gold left and I save that for moving equipment around....once it is gone it is gone....unless they do something about the arty....and let me be clear on my view on this.....it is just too darn "finger of god" I kept track last night...partly just to do a little research....I stayed still....and in the 2 hrs I played the game I was first shot killed by arty in 12 out of 22 games. In all different tiers. Arty should not be that accurate even on a non moving target....we are talking about inderect fire here. I have had the cross hairs on a tank less then 50m away and missed....and inderect fire from arty can drop the shell down the hatch.....nope.
And for every time my arty has a big match and bunch of big hits, I have 2-3 matches with nothing but near and complete misses. I'm sorry, but arty is not the overpowered, hit and one shot kill on every shot beast you think it is, not even with a 100% crew. That S-51 video of mine that Ebein posted last week was an absolute rarity.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #2647
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
And for every time my arty has a big match and bunch of big hits, I have 2-3 matches with nothing but near and complete misses. I'm sorry, but arty is not the overpowered, hit and one shot kill on every shot beast you think it is, not even with a 100% crew. That S-51 video of mine that Ebein posted last week was an absolute rarity.
and that is why we see games with arty having 6+ kills.....yes yes I know they are like vultures picking up the scraps from others hard work.

But again I do not think it is over powered....just too darn accurate.

But I tell you what...they could leave them the way they are....just light them up each time they fire.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #2648
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,559
Quote:
and that is why we see games with arty having 6+ kills.....yes yes I know they are like vultures picking up the scraps from others hard work.

But I tell you what...they could leave them the way they are....just light them up each time they fire.
Maybe WoT is data mining the internet and knows you hate arty and is out to screw just you

I play arty and like it, and in lower tiers it is really accurate. I can't disagree there. Too accurate? Hard to say. I have had a few 6 kill games with my SU 26, but with my tier 4 and 6 even a 2 kill game is getting rare. I do way more splash damage with those 2 that anything else.

I have also hit tanks either direct or splash with the Priest 5-6 times in a row. If I can hit you 6 in a row with an arty tube YOU are doing something wrong

I think the Hummel is too accurate. Most games you see that guy in, they tend to rack up kills.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #2649
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:

My SU26 didn't penetrate a Grille the other day.
I've had 5-6 hits in a row on the same tank, only doing 20-30 points of damage.

But then I've knocked out two tanks with one shot from my Grille. Once. Only once.

Starting up the soviet TD line. I think I'll stick with TDs for now. I picked up a T50, played a few games, hated it and sold it.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #2650
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,277
Quote:
I have over 3000 battles in various SPGs (in 1 account, combined with other over 4500). On average, I have had more kills stolen from me among the tanks that I damaged. Which is clearly represented in my dozen Conferate awards vs only 4 Reaper awards.

Quote:
My SU-26 crew has over 265% training, dead eye, eagle eye, etc.. I'd expect it to be accurate.
Since v8.0 upgrade, my accuracy has dropped. Many shots taken did not land where I though they'd be as in v7.5
I often aim for the open turret tanks/SPGs for the 1-shot kills to knock out the whole crew, but since 8.0, shots have often land outside of the turret or no hits at all.

Quote:
I try to light up my target for allys to know which tank I'm aiming for, but with the quick reload/aim time of SU-26, I often switch target as I decide priority on the fly,

I'd say about 15% of my kills in SU-26 & Bat Chat 155 are in TD mode, having a turret really allow the usage of SPG as TD.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #2651
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,094
Quote:
....just too darn accurate.
That's just it....they're not that accurate. My best arty has a 41% hit rate with a 100% crew, and from what I've seen, that's about average. The rest of the SPG's I've played are in the mid to upper 30% bracket. My overall average hit rate is 60%, so I'm not a bad shot. Have I gotten 6-7 kills in a battle with arty? Absolutely, but I've also done with several tanks, and do it more often with the tanks. IMHO, you need to learn to pick shooting positions better to shield yourself from most of the arty shots.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #2652
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
My SU26 didn't penetrate a Grille the other day.
I've had 5-6 hits in a row on the same tank, only doing 20-30 points of damage.

But then I've knocked out two tanks with one shot from my Grille. Once. Only once.

Starting up the soviet TD line. I think I'll stick with TDs for now. I picked up a T50, played a few games, hated it and sold it.
And my tiger did not pen a M3 the other day...nothing to do with it....someone said it is a game of luck...and it is, sure there are programs that figure this or that....but in the end it is still a roll of the dice....and again this is why a shot went wide at 50m.

End all is that arty is going to be in the game the way it is till people get tired of it and all that will be left are games like posted pages ago...nothing but arty.....we will see, this game is only a few years old.

But truth be known, the wife is working late, I have taken a pain pill, and I am enjoying watching the wheels move as the tank moves over the different types of ground....I enjoy the new maps....and I am playing the hell out of the new IV....but in the end they have lost my money and that is what they want....if they want it back change the game back to a tank game.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #2653
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,791
i pick on premium tanks with the gw panther
love blowin up lowes
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #2654
Hayaku
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Running the BT-7 and 38(t).

Looking to up to the A20 and na and probably stick with those for awhile.

Koyangi on WoT.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #2655
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
That's just it....they're not that accurate. My best arty has a 41% hit rate with a 100% crew, and from what I've seen, that's about average. The rest of the SPG's I've played are in the mid to upper 30% bracket. My overall average hit rate is 60%, so I'm not a bad shot. Have I gotten 6-7 kills in a battle with arty? Absolutely, but I've also done with several tanks, and do it more often with the tanks. IMHO, you need to learn to pick shooting positions better to shield yourself from most of the arty shots.
That said, I hate to suggest it, but if I had 12 out of 22 deaths being caused by arty, I think I'd come to the conclusion that I really suck at being "arty aware" of where their typical shots can be placed, or really suck at moving and shooting.

One way or another, 12 out of 22 deaths, man, it ain't arty if arty typically hits 40% of the time.

Even for an experiment, if you were in a somewhat safe arty place they'd be hitting rocks half of the time I'd think.

Quote:
I don't think the spall liners would be much help.....I like other people have said have stopped at Tier 7.......

Spall liners - if you don't think it would help, then you must not be getting hit by the overly prevalent HE rounds 90% of arty fire. Again, I'm not sure what server has arty that can kill 12 out of 22 times, and fire AP a majority of those times, but... I'm sure glad I don't play on it!
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: