User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #2656
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,382
I used the train station in the NW corner of Himmelsdorf to great effect just a moment ago, caught several tanks on the tracks by surprise, and it offered excellent cover from their auto-aim shots.

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #2657
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
I used the train station in the NW corner of Himmelsdorf to great effect just a moment ago, caught several tanks on the tracks by surprise, and it offered excellent cover from their auto-aim shots.
from directly south of the station at the edge of the map, I found I was able to put arty inside the station. probly surprised a couple blokes in there 'hiding'
Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 AM   #2658
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Is that not a great little hidie hole?
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #2659
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,035
I do the same, I tuck up right against the wall behind the debris pile and take a poke at anything that meanders into my sights. great hull down location. While everyones trying to battle for the hill (which is exactly opposite of the goal BTW), I head over there. I need to find a decent sniping spot from the south though.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #2660
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Taking the hill is necessary in an encounter battle, though, or at least defending it for long enough to cap.....if you don't, you leave your entire flank exposed.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 AM   #2661
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
While everyones trying to battle for the hill (which is exactly opposite of the goal BTW), .
Funny, a clan mate and I had this conversation a day ago. In the end we just had to agree that we look at things totally differently.

As opposed to regular battles, it soon became apparent to me that the Encounter battles now, more than before, meant the opposite direction was even more important. I can't tell you the exact number of battles I've seen lost by inexperienced teams (based on their ratings) who rushed for that flag area vs. teams who routed their rear flanks and then came up to finish off the players who were worried about getting to the flag area first.

Likewise on the Encounter map for Malinovka, likewise on at least one other Encounter battle map.

All it really takes is about two or three moderately good tanks to stay completely out of sight, perhaps a block east of that flag area, to roll in and stop the cap if they see the cap-level getting too high... and that conservation of tanks means the 12 or 13 other teammates can make a concentrated effort to wipe out the hill, then come around behind the people who rushed the flag.

I like to think of it as a typical American ploy: "Ooh, Look Here! Look Here! I'm this 'thing' you want!" where-as the true victory normally lies away from that goal.

I'd say the one thing I'm slowly learning from playing with pros ( -G- , or Guerrilla, clan is our sister clan) is to keep the firepower concentrated. These Encounter maps would sort of be an example of this. In a three public battles in which I was playing with a -G- guy or two as a tier nine yesterday I ended up getting the higher scores than all of the tier tens we were playing with just by sticking with, and protecting the sides of, the bigger guns in the game.

This was one of them, and now that I look at it I see that a tier 9 on both teams, my M103 and that T-54, beat out the tier 10's for top scores.

Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #2662
vwboomer
Buffoon

nevermind

vwboomer screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 06:29 AM
vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM   #2663
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
It can also work out the other way around....if you have a few that will defend that flank at the choak points then the rest can take the cap.....I have seen two tanks hold off 6-7...then after they figure out there is only a few of you they rush...those defenders usually die, but they endup making the team win.

The new assault mission on the map with the damaged bridge...I think Westfield...I am not a real fan of...perhaps because I have played it so much lately....I think I would like to see an encounter mission on that map with the base at the bottom of that damaged bridge.

I think I am going to buy back a tier 1-2 tank so I can do the other missions....I really like the Pz II, but might go for a low tier TD.

I did buy Matilda last time they had it on sale and am very happy....that thing is down right fun....that and for some reason I really like the new Pz IV....not sure why but it is now my second most played tank....I did play the darth vader turret quite a bit.

I also think they did a major nerf on the Pz III....I just can't do anything with it....I have almost 400 battles in that one tank...or perhaps it is more...don't know, but I liked it before....I know they took armor away, but I think they did something to the gun as well....
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 AM   #2664
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I've played that new assault on Westfield (or damaged bridge map) a lot lately, too.

I'm getting to like it... maybe. I like seeing the different strategies employed by the defenders on it. At low tiers the whole team can just sit behind the flag, up in the trees along the two edges, and snipe anything coming up. At high tiers the 'defenders' seemingly have to make a serious effort to attack or they will fall where they camp.

As opposed to the other Assault maps, I don't yet have one favorite way to attack to get to the flag, either... but then the game really isn't about capturing that flag as much as is is about killing all the defenders usually. I think I've only won one game from it by capping the flag - because the one remaining defender ran and was too far away to catch.

In KV-1S-sized Company Battles where we run them from our clan (usually with about 4 or 6 non-clan teammates to make a whole team), we pretty much just don't defend when placed on Defense for Assault maps. We attack.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 06:56 AM
Old 10-02-2012, 07:27 AM   #2665
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,035
I only had the assault on westfield once. I was defense in a tier 10 match with my M26. I was the 3rd to last to die

I've found the most effective play for Himmelsdorf encounter, and this has worked 5 out of 5 times. 3-5 guys rush the cap, 2 heavies stay and defend one side of the hill near the base, while a couple others block the opposite side of the hill. Similar to what FPGT72 says.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:45 AM   #2666
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I only had the assault on westfield once. I was defense in a tier 10 match with my M26. I was the 3rd to last to die

I've found the most effective play for Himmelsdorf encounter, and this has worked 5 out of 5 times. 3-5 guys rush the cap, 2 heavies stay and defend one side of the hill near the base, while a couple others block the opposite side of the hill. Similar to what FPGT72 says.

problem with strategy with a bunch of yokels in the net, is it doesn't work cuz people just do what they want anyway most of the time :roll

I have found that often times if I hold about a minute or two, then take the hill lower road I can wipe out their arty in the corner who is only focusing on shooting over the hill, and run up the back of the enemy hill squad.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #2667
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
i like the lower road on that map as well. I've snuck around behind their team as they headed to the cap. Works well as long as you don't meet a few of there people doing the same thing.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #2668
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I'll tell ya, I just had a big disappointment, but I learned more about Efficiency ratings.

I was playing with a -G- guy who, despite having good stats, wasn't doing too well. He wasn't terrible by any means, but we were running tier 9's and trying to do our best to correct losses we had incurred earlier. He was mentioning that he was watching his Efficiency rating (1680?) go down and down.

So we enter a Siegfried Line "encounter" battle where the platoon I am in (three of us, all tier 9's, two --R-- guys and one -G- guy) are the only top tier tanks on our side. I tell my guys where in the city I'm going just to give them a heads up as to where we could concentrate fire (E/F 6/7 - the heart of the main encounter since both teams come up to there).

I have a really tough battle - I'm not really even looking at the map anywhere else than right there because the majority of their team was right there. But I'm getting shot in the rear sometimes, and having to flip around and around, working my ass off in those four squares.

Eventually, after laying a lot of damage and taking just about the same... I die. By now it's a sure win since there are only four tanks left on the enemy's side, and we have about 9. I flip through the team to see what they're up to, and where do I find the guy worried about his Efficiency rating? On the center cap... nearly full health, solely capping with half of the cap already counted up.

Instead of looking to help either platoon mate, or at least find an enemy tank (they were all being held right beside him by a few of us), he was just capping to raise his efficiency rating. I said something to the effect of "_______, I know you want cap points to raise your efficiency rating, but I could have really used help there."

His reply was that well, he was protecting cap, and no enemy tanks showed up so he just kept sitting there, and don't worry - we have this anyways... you guys took care of all the enemy. Laughing, he exclaimed that it was just one battle he slacked off from, and that he deserved it since he wasn't penning anything the last few games (using the same gun and tank, the M103, as I was using).

I lost my tank, surely lost some type of rankings for being destroyed, and since I don't have premium I lost 9000 credits and probably used a repair kit. But since Efficiency calculations hold cap and defense points above damage, and above kills, he just sat there.

Ok, sure, if that had been a random public guy I would have understood, but a top-rated sister-clan platoon mate?

I thanked them for the win, exhausted from all the fighting I've done this evening... and from that fight... and politely told them that I was done playing.

Man, I don't know what is wrong with me, but if I ever have a friend or teammate in need, I'm not waiting for them to beg for help... I'm usually so ensconced in trying to right things, anyway, that no one has to ask for help very often. Random pubs playing the way they do is disheartening enough, but when your own teammate and platoon mate is one grid square away from you the entire time, and not shooting anything... I don't want to be a part of his gaming world ever again.

---

FFS... now someone just emptied a pistol magazine a few houses away... at 8:42 PM (dark out)... now what?

Oh, he's shooting again... 0845, and a car just took off from the area of gunfire. Please tell me this is some other culture's holiday?

Two and a half magazines later... now it sounds like someone just lit off fireworks, too. All I can figure is that it is a birthday, or Guinea's Independence day celebrations. LOL, now that it is just fireworks I went out back to just check, and it's raining and all wet... someone is determined to have a good time despite it being a rainy night.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 05:54 PM
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #2669
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,506
both sides read the same chat now? no more team only chat??
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #2670
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
both sides read the same chat now? no more team only chat??
No, you just have to hit ENter to start it, then choose with ... I think it's the tab key ... to choose TEAM or ALL (and maybe PLATOON)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: