Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 385 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #2671
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
we pretty much just don't defend when placed on Defense for Assault maps. We attack.
I get amused / disheartened by people who say "It defense, DUH" in such games.

Defense <> making yourself a sitting duck...
Old 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #2672
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,782
ditched the pz4
heading towards a maus
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:11 PM   #2673
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
ditched the pz4
heading towards a maus
ran into a Maus yesterday coming around a corner with my IS3. It didnt end well.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #2674
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I get amused / disheartened by people who say "It defense, DUH" in such games.

Defense <> making yourself a sitting duck...
I'm with you and Dave....the best defense is a good offense....
Old 10-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #2675
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Sometimes....just depends on so much.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:28 AM   #2676
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
ditched the pz4
heading towards a maus

You will like the VK3601H, it can snipe but when you have good help it loves to get in there face. Also after 8.0 I have noticed the Tiger and Tiger II are playing much better. I'm actually making more credits with the Tiger then anything else right now. And the credit loseing Tiger II only does so on a loss now and not even always then. They must have changed the way you make credits those two tanks never made coins like this before.

oh and the Tiger II can now take a few hits, we had a encounter battle last night where our side got over run I was lower tier with the Tiger II the game ended with me backing almost all the way from our starting point where we tryed to hold the other team from flanking us hard. it some what worked I ended up being the last one over there but only one of theirs survived as well. A T95 and something else where holding 3 heavys off at the flag so i move closer to them. take out on of the heavys the other tank over with the T95 dies and it's down to me and the T95 so i parked behind him and shot over him. then the IS something that survived our side came overthe hill, I rotated and backed up close to the T95 to cover my rear soft spots, we lasted a few untill there own t95 shot me over ours. it was fun.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #2677
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Not always. Everyone has their idea of sound tactics. Some are sound, some are not. Some are just lucky.

We won Himmlesdorf last night despite not a single person going on the hill, we pretty much all rushed the cap and defended.

We lost at Westfield attack because the other team sat and sniped us away (no arty in that game)

We lost defense at (the one with the castle and river and 3 bridge crossings) because all the heavies went after the castle and all of their team came up from the valley. There was one yahoo yelling at the team that we HAD to attack from the north to the castle, the lemmings followed, we lost. I made a shit load of money because I scouted almost all the enemy team with my M26as they came right at my lonesome defense

I do notice that there a lot of people who forget it's just a game.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #2678
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
New Clan member nholmes90
He works with Frecks/Furgal and I.
He doesn't play very often, and is in need of some training room time. But an all around good guy.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #2679
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,148
The best offense includes a mix of defense. Don't attack if your only advantage is initiative.

Hate to think of all the times my team got themselves knocked out when I was mid-way through a flanking maneuver. The map is there for a reason!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #2680
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
You will like the VK3601H, it can snipe but when you have good help it loves to get in there face. Also after 8.0 I have noticed the Tiger and Tiger II are playing much better. I'm actually making more credits with the Tiger then anything else right now.
already have a tiger going the vk3001p route
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:25 AM   #2681
papalobster
With Gusto!

There was a fella in a T34 last night that was yelling at the rest of the team because the M12 arty wasn't rushing the cap. M12's don't rush anywhere!

"I hate arty that just sits back and shoots stuff, they should be up front shooting!"
Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #2682
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
There was a fella in a T34 last night that was yelling at the rest of the team because the M12 arty wasn't rushing the cap. M12's don't rush anywhere!

"I hate arty that just sits back and shoots stuff, they should be up front shooting!"
There are rare games where it becomes readily apparent that a rear arty has the chance to rush up a totally open route to cap. I've done it many times with my German arty, but I'd guess the M12 is a lot slower, and it's a tough situation to always see with arty as we're normally focused on areas and targets, and it takes some luck and skill to be able to keep track of the whole map's progress.

-------------------------

Separate thought:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that WG redefined the XP system better. Now I know it was supposed to always work this way, but even WG themselves admitted that the system for scoring more XP for damage on higher-tier tanks hadn't worked since the original Beta.

These days, with the scoring, I can find my lowest-tier-in-the-game T 25/2 (tier seven in a tier 7 through 9 match) as a high scorer for my team, and that's awesome. Likewise for my lumbering B1 heavy with its little gun. The amount of damage on an enemy that we spotted is just as cool, and something a few of us always wondered if it truly worked as it should. It really means that any and all tanks should feel valued (if you can't do the damage, then spot and scout to the best of your ability).

I'm finding that I'm in the top half of scorers 90% of the time (easy to do), and in the top three (when I'm in a top-tier tank) a very fair amount (not so easy to do despite having the big gun). My prediction is that, while it won't be across the board, this will be the impetus to a good many players to play a little more carefully (using cover to last longer) while shooting a little more (to get the XP for damage). While I'm sure it is embarrassing to a few players, overall this should bring better teams by the time newcomers to the game get to tier 5 since they'll have direct feedback as to their worth (that may be a bit harsh) / input / skill. How do you guys feel about it, or... has the new ranking system affected anyone you know to change their play style?
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #2683
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,374
I'll rush the cap with my artys.

If I'm in my Lorraine 155 50/51 or Bat Chat 155; they have enough mobility to get on the cap and out maneuver enemy heavies. Some of the heavies with slow turret movement could be killed when I have my 4-shot mag loaded, but if I don't finish them off in 4-shots, 60+ sec reload surely means the end for the Bat Chat 155.

With my SU-26, I move towards mid-map from the start of battle anyway.
If I see opportunity to get on cap to take cover among dead vehicles and the map is flat enough that I can get to cap with its sluggish pace, I'll cap as an arty.
But most of the time I'm too busy shooting and reading the minimap.. until I run out of ammo, I go thru 26 shells pretty quickly in the SU-26.

With the Lorraine39 L AM and 105 leFH18B2, play more conservatively, but still get in TD mode quite a bit.
Small profile of the Lorraine39 really makes it hard to hit while on the move.
The 105 le have decent armor that I can actually take a couple of hits and returrn 1 or 2 shots before dying.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #2684
papalobster
With Gusto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
There are rare games where it becomes readily apparent that a rear arty has the chance to rush up a totally open route to cap. I've done it many times with my German arty, but I'd guess the M12 is a lot slower, and it's a tough situation to always see with arty as we're normally focused on areas and targets, and it takes some luck and skill to be able to keep track of the whole map's progress.
I've done it too, mostly in the M7 Priest, but no effin way during an attack at Westfield, up that hill, defended by 4 TD's. That's just stupid!

I too try to get mid map on the SU26. It has crap for range, so you need to be close to the action.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:57 AM   #2685
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 756
tactics only work if the majority of your team are on board. seldom works in public battles with all the kiddiots around.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: