oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,642
Tier V - what tank do I want?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:13 AM   #2867
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,752
if you had asked me this 2 months ago i would have said the PZVI but after they cut it's balls off I dont have a clue.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #2868
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Answering that question requires knowledge of your playstyle....do you like to run and gun or snipe? Do you favor speed or heavy armor? Scouting or brawling? What tier are you at now on what lines?
Old 10-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #2869
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,563
Quote:
StugIII with the sniper rifle.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #2870
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
kv-1
churchill
amx elc
T-50-2
BDR-blah blah blah sniper tank
matilda
pz4
M10
T14
T1HT
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #2871
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Answering that question requires knowledge of your playstyle....do you like to run and gun or snipe? Do you favor speed or heavy armor? Scouting or brawling? What tier are you at now on what lines?

American tanks, until the higher tiers, have weak guns and tall easy to penetrate hulls. The E8 is at least reasonably quick, but it's gun sucks. It's also tall and easy to spot.

Soviet heavy tanks are heavy, slow, big guns, slow, can take damage well, and are slow.

French...

German used to be good. I don't bother anymore. Only really play the Stug from the german line.

Go with the Soviet medium line. Can't go wrong with those.
T-34 or KV-1. KV-1 leads to some fun tanks. Roll into town, find other tanks by letting them shoot you, blow shit up...
Old 10-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #2872
Geek
oot & aboot

M4 Sherman - I like its balance of speed, penetration and radio distance.. any reason not to go down that path?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #2873
Geek
oot & aboot

Different question - these guy with the long range artillery... that lob the shells.

How do they sight what they are shooting at?
Old 10-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #2874
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,098
Left shift in a tank switches to the sniper sight. Left shift while running arty puts you in an overhead view that you can use to target whatever tanks your team can see.....and if you know what you're doing, ones you can't see as well.

Quote:
M4 Sherman - I like its balance of speed, penetration and radio distance.. any reason not to go down that path?
No, because it opens up both the US heavy and medium lines....however, be warned, the Lee grind is tough to survive to get to the Sherman.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #2875
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
I'm going to say the KV-1 now. Like the others, it used to be the PzIV, but that's over. I currently have a French heavy tier 5, the BDR ... and it's terrible even fully upgraded.

Now there is the French 'medium' line which would be tanks like the AMX 12T, but with that line you better be ready for fighting much, much larger tanks in higher tiers. It's really not a bad challenge for a new player who is up for it, and the line ends in the amazing BatChat tier 10. You just better be ready for more than the normal drugged-out or drunk new player would be ready for. most just want as much steel to deflect shots as possible, and as big of a gun as they can get.

So... the Soviet line is still strong throughout for a regular tier 5. Think about the French small/medium line for a real challenge if you're up for it.

---

just read your follow-up post... there is nothing wrong with the M4 Sherman and that line. You may enjoy it.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #2876
OConnor OP
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,233
Doh! I had just sent an email to confirm payment and noticed I had an email in my "junk" folder. BAM! 5000 gold baby!
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #2877
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
do the french lights for fun, but not as a first line. repair costs quickly exceed what you make per battle & it's harder to consistently make credits quickly with them. (without premium) by the time you go 10 grand in the hole if you get hosed early and a great game (scout half the enemy team, lots of damage and you getting lots of damage & top gun) only getting you 20k you can make credits faster with heavies. rest of the time you're making 10-17k and repair/ammo costs are 9-11k if you die. which is a lot considering the role of passive scout & when you see someone you can finish off ya better go for it! :\

i think the BDR is great if you stand back and snipe with it. the 90mm cannon is great. nobody ever pays it any attention. armor is enough for tiers under. kv-1 and above you need to watch being derped. you can't play it like a KV-1 and expect to bounce everyone as you walk up to them and derp them.

which says a lot of the kv-1. it gets pretty good match making & more or less can crap on everything its tier and under!
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #2878
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
do the french lights for fun, but not as a first line. repair costs quickly exceed what you make per battle & it's harder to consistently make credits quickly with them. (without premium) by the time you go 10 grand in the hole if you get hosed early and a great game (scout half the enemy team, lots of damage and you getting lots of damage & top gun) only getting you 20k you can make credits faster with heavies. rest of the time you're making 10-17k and repair/ammo costs are 9-11k if you die. which is a lot considering the role of passive scout & when you see someone you can finish off ya better go for it! :\

i think the BDR is great if you stand back and snipe with it. the 90mm cannon is great. nobody ever pays it any attention. armor is enough for tiers under. kv-1 and above you need to watch being derped. you can't play it like a KV-1 and expect to bounce everyone as you walk up to them and derp them.

which says a lot of the kv-1. it gets pretty good match making & more or less can crap on everything its tier and under!
ADmittedly, my BDR crew isn't 100%, they are more like 82%... so I have to get closer for that gun to aim well. Maybe it really does come around with a 100% crew, but even tier 3's pen the front of it it seems. I will rejoice when I sell it... but maybe I should keep it for a 100% crew first
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #2879
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,514
When I ran my vanilla M4, and whenever I'm in the Churchill, I refer to the BDR as my Nemesis.

Also, I think KV-1's got buffed in 8.0, I can usually plink away at them, but not this weekend from the Churchill - every single shot bounced. Probably threw 100 rounds at them over the days, before realizing that it just wasn't my bad aim.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #2880
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,567
Personally, I like the M7 med with the 6 pounder for a tier 5. Many don't though.
Without knowing your play style, I'd also recommend the KV1. It's fun and has the bonus of 3 branches to other lines.

Anyway...
I picked up a KV-13 over the weekend and I think I'm going to like it. I needed a new tier 7 med snce I got rid of my T20 a while back. I still have a 75% crew and not much for upgrades, but I had a lot of fun in it, and it did better than I expected for a near stock tank. I'm really going to like it when it's fully upgraded.
NOMADS
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: