User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 399 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 06:17 AM   #3046
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,007
So a t59 driver didn't bother moving as I hit him with round after round of HE from the AMX13/75. Couldn't damage him, no matter where i hit him.

I thought it'd be a fun tank, but the tilt towards having to buy stuff in order to actually hit things sucks. Yes, the company has to make money, but I'm less interested in playing now.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #3047
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
So a t59 driver didn't bother moving as I hit him with round after round of HE from the AMX13/75. Couldn't damage him, no matter where i hit him.

I thought it'd be a fun tank, but the tilt towards having to buy stuff in order to actually hit things sucks. Yes, the company has to make money, but I'm less interested in playing now.
I hear you....if too many people feel the same way it could be the beginning of the end.

I have really hit I am sick of this stage with this now. All I will usually play now is the low tier tanks.....if the "gold" ammo does what I think it will do I think it may finish it for me....I am on the edge now.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #3048
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:

Back when I had my 12t and it was a tier 5 I could take down T34 heavies. On my other account I have a 13 75 and find it more than capable against tier 9's.

The problem seems to be that people who play medium tanks still, by and large, don't understand them. The point is rarely, if ever, to use the extra speed to get farther across the map, then start a head-on shooting game with another tank there. The play style is meant to be to use a medium tank's speed to get to the side of, or behind, an opponent - period.

If you mean to suggest that the 13 75 can't penetrate a 59 from the side or rear with an AP round, well... I won't believe it.

But you may very well have been flanking it and, instead, the problem was the round you chose.

I've carried HE in the 12t and 13 75, and have found that small-caliber HE rounds pretty reliably do no damage no matter the tank shooting them. It's just too small of an explosion.

I've played both enough that I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the battles HE could just not be brought and that tanker would be better off for having the extra AP rounds.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #3049
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I've played both enough that I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the battles HE could just not be brought and that tanker would be better off for having the extra AP rounds.
Amen. HE is for use against infantry. I have seen little use for it in tanks. I'm not counting the howitzers mind you, but the HE as replacements for AP rounds.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #3050
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Amen. HE is for use against infantry. I have seen little use for it in tanks. I'm not counting the howitzers mind you, but the HE as replacements for AP rounds.
The one area I will use it, for example, is a face-to-face at 100 yards shoot out with, say, my T34 heavy vs. another T34 heavy (or T32, T29, maybe a IS-3, KV-4, etc.) where we are both hull down and it's obvious we're both just bouncing AP rounds off of each others frontal turret armor. Then the HE comes into its own as killing a crew member with each shot, or taking out their gun or periscope, really helps in the end (if you're just not going to penetrate that enemy with AP rounds in the foreseeable future's 3 minutes).

But, again, the HE rounds in my T34's 120mm gun, or the very, very rare occasion I have an HE loaded in my IS-3, seem to be the only time HE really does much since it's sending out a much larger high-explosive round to explode against tanks.

Gotta remember here for the new guys... most HE rounds never penetrate - the damage you're seeing and the damage to crew is, as in real life, due to an explosion on the outside hull of a tank causing spalling on the inside. Shooting firecrackers to explode against the armor of a Type 59's turret may get the attention of the 59's crew, but it won't hurt them.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 AM   #3051
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
personally I think the idea of gold rounds for everyone is stupid. Shouldn't need them, but now you will.
Voice your opinion on the WoT forum if it turns out to suck. They are doing it as a test and haven't decided if they will keep it that way in 8.2.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #3052
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Voice your opinion on the WoT forum if it turns out to suck. They are doing it as a test and haven't decided if they will keep it that way in 8.2.

Nah. It will be a good thing if I quit playing this game. I have plenty of other things I should be doing...
Old 10-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #3053
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,190
Given the cost, I'm perfectly OK with gold rounds.

There is a certain satisfaction to
a) identifying gold trails from rounds being fired at you, and
b) winning anyhow
Old 10-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #3054
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
I keep two or three gold rounds on 3 of my tanks. I don't use them much at all because they rarely help. they are on them because some times when I'm shot for shot with someone the little extra they give will kill them before they kill me. but most of the time they bounce and i cuss.

oh me BZ and Stand ran into two ass holes last night. hanskloss33 and Kaszanka. flat out rude, yes we got into it. they cussed us and we shot them. i think they reported us for who knows what and we reported them for insults. After looking them up and the leader of there clan we decided it wasn't worth saying anything to him about it. they looked like elitist jerks. oh we didn't kill them, Just a few nice warning shots.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #3055
Czechsix
Slower than you....

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The one area I will use it, for example, is a face-to-face at 100 yards shoot out with, say, my T34 heavy vs. another T34 heavy (or T32, T29, maybe a IS-3, KV-4, etc.) where we are both hull down and it's obvious we're both just bouncing AP rounds off of each others frontal turret armor. Then the HE comes into its own as killing a crew member with each shot, or taking out their gun or periscope, really helps in the end (if you're just not going to penetrate that enemy with AP rounds in the foreseeable future's 3 minutes).

But, again, the HE rounds in my T34's 120mm gun, or the very, very rare occasion I have an HE loaded in my IS-3, seem to be the only time HE really does much since it's sending out a much larger high-explosive round to explode against tanks.

Gotta remember here for the new guys... most HE rounds never penetrate - the damage you're seeing and the damage to crew is, as in real life, due to an explosion on the outside hull of a tank causing spalling on the inside. Shooting firecrackers to explode against the armor of a Type 59's turret may get the attention of the 59's crew, but it won't hurt them.
One other thing I stock a few HE rounds for is turning cover into concealment, or nothing at all. Every so often I find it a valuable thing to start destroying a village, or houses that might be used to cover an advance.
Neduro to Dakar 2012
TEAM F5 2012 WHAT A GREAT RIDE!
Czechsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #3056
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,037
Last night I used an HE round from my jpzV to take out a badly damaged Panther II. He was hiding behind a wreck and had disappeared so I was hoping for splash damage. It worked.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM   #3057
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
The special is posted:

50% credit discount on the following vehicles:
  • M3 Stuart
  • M3 Lee
  • PzKpfw III
  • M7 Priest
  • M4 Sherman
  • PzKpfw IV
Credit income bonus: +100%
  • M4 Sherman
Credit income bonus: +70%
  • M3 Stuart
  • M3 Lee
  • PzKpfw III
Credit income bonus: +50%
  • M7 Priest
  • PzKpfw IV
Crew Experience Bonus: 2x
Old 10-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #3058
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,793
Looks like the priest is gonna get a workout this weekend.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #3059
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
I think I'm going to take this opportunity to sell my M41 and move the crew back to a Priest.....
Old 10-26-2012, 12:54 PM   #3060
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
WoT won the Golden Joystick award and will be having this special in Nov.

Congratulations Tankers!

You’ve managed to put World of Tanks on top of the stack for this year’s Golden Joystick Awards in the Best MMO category! World of Tanks has been on the rise since its release and has eclipsed the 40 million mark for total registered users earlier this month.

The level of competition in our category was sky-high this year, but our incredible community came out in full force to support us.

As we have promised starting from November 2 6.00 UTC till November 5 5.30 UTC the following awaits you:

Bonus code, which will give you 3 days of Premium Account and additional premium consumables! (will be provided on November 2)
High Tier vehicles discount (they will cost the same credits as their 'predecessors' in the Tech Tree). This will include:
Tier IX Medium Tanks
Tier IX Tank Destroyers
Tier IX Heavy Tanks
Tier VII Self-Propelled Gun Artillery

The following tier VIII Premium Vehicles will receive a 15% discount:
T34
Lowe
IS-6
T26E4 Super Pershing
8.8 cm Pak 43 JagdTiger

x5 XP for 1st victory
50% Discounts on equipment
50% Discounts on garage slots
50% Discounts on crew (re)training

Again, thank you to everyone who took the time to vote World of Tanks the best MMO for the 2012 Golden Joystick Awards, enjoy!
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: