Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 429 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 07:10 AM   #3286
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Yes, there is a minor penalty for "dropping" perks, but it's really pretty small in the scheme of things considering you can have an important crew member right at 100% when starting to grind a new tank, and considering that he picks up training his perks right away upon using the new tank since he is at 100%.
Keep in mind that the perks xp is one big pool...if you decide to reset perks when you have the first one to 100% and the second one up to 50%, and you only spend silver on the reset, you're going to take a 10% hit on the entire perk points pool, not just the points applied to the second perk. They only valid time to use the skill points reset to get a crewman to 100% on a new tank is early in the first perk. Above that, the points hit gets too big.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #3287
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
They only valid time to use the skill points reset to get a crewman to 100% on a new tank is early in the first perk. Above that, the points hit gets too big.
I'll disagree with that, but then that's just the way I play, and I value gunner crew members being at 100% that much (where I don't want to pay real money for Gold to do it).

I understand where you're coming from, but I've done it with crewmen being deep into their second perks and didn't regret it. Maybe it's worse for three or four but... meh. When it comes right down to it, no third or fourth perk will mean diddly to me compared to being effective from the get-go with a 100% gunner in an arty. I'll think about it, but probably feel the same way about any major tier tank's gunner as well. If I save up the silver, the next tank that will apply for will be the 110E5 while using the M103 crew with their two perks. At tier ten, in clan wars (maybe especially so), the perks on a heavy aren't crap in comparison to how quickly one can use their tank's features.

---

Speaking of which, apparently we've finally made enough landings and held land with my clan. We're now in the position of earning Gold if we both can hold on to it, and vote that we want to hold on to it (as opposed to just keep fighting and making other clans' lives miserable while we try to disrupt their hold on their claims).

I'm all for earning Gold for a while, but it will probably be a short while - there are some very, very good clans out there we have to fight. Some clans' players pay for their premium accounts every month with the gold they earn from land held though. That's crazy that some teams can do that, and save Gold on the side to eventually buy other premium tanks, but that's the way the game works.

A lot of it is politics with friendly clans. Sometimes we fight, and win, land just to hand it over to another clan in a 'technical' defeat (where they place a chip to attack us, and we show up with... nobody). When I say 'sometimes' ... I mean it seems like pretty damned often. Once in a while we're told that a certain upcoming clan battle only really needs one tank to enter (to take the technical win), so others seem to do the same for us. Kinda funny winning a clan war battle with, say, a VK2801 alone, or whatever other tank the guy going into it wants a 'win' for (makes for a crappy daily double XP earning, but... it's a win nonetheless).

I'm just a cog in a wheel, and I think most of my clan battles have been for other clans' gains, lol (I don't pay attention to the maps and progress, so while I'm sure I had a part in getting to where we are, I have no clue what parts they were). Thankfully we have enough guys, and good ones at that (far better than I), that they've won the most recent battles to gain the land that we have.

The last clan battle I was part of was against SMB clan about a week ago. I thought the "?" tank on the opposing team was interesting, so I took a screenshot of the beginning of the battle. In clan wars you don't see the enemy's tanks and players on the right side of the screen until they've been spotted. Somehow this guy's name showed up but his tank did not. My best guess was that he was arty and his hit was seen as "Brooklyn_Express" has damaged your tank ______ for one of my team members, but I can't recall what he ended up being in. Rest assured that they had a full team, but we just hadn't spotted them all by this point. I'm guessing that by this point they had spotted even fewer of ours.

I circled the areas we hold (own - but just for now). Notice the colors of our clan tag ( ) are the same as the Siege guys above us, and the Guerrillas guys below us - this is due to us being sister clans. Also, notice just how much land some clans have. That's a ton of Gold some clans earn for their members each day, but then those members earned it by playing well, consistently (and that's the hard part for me when I get tired, or have too much coffee in me, or drink alcohol which is why I stopped drinking while playing ... but then I have a friend who isn't currently in any clan who blow me out of the water even when he's drinking... I think it has to do with intelligence, and I don't have much of that).

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 08:22 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #3288
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Remember tho arty is hard to play....is not a finger of god....or "laser".

I am not sure why but I seem to be killing more arty now that I have hit tier 8. And in a Pershing without the top gun as well. Don't know how, but in every match I live in I end up with killing or at least hurting real bad every arty unit on the enemy team. Tracked and just pound them in the side about every time.....wonder why that does not work on the lower tier arty...I hit them in the same place.

Poor arty....in one of the few games I played last night I left the circle to hunt down the last arty unit....in that slow ass pershing again.

Yup still hate it and think arty is the worst thing in this game.
One thing that helps is that most, if not all, of the high tier arty have much higher reload times if you catch them after a shot you have quite a bit of time to kill them.
I don't recall thinking the Pershing was slow, but I think I upgraded the engine right away. In fact, I have to be careful not to get too far ahead of support.

On an unrelated note, I discovered a near perfect partner for my Super Pershing[SP]. the T95. The SP isn't much faster so its easy to stay with the T95. Once the T95 picks it's spot I park to cover it's sides or back and use it for cover. If someone comes to kill the 95, the SP has the armor to take a decent beating and generally keep the attacker(s) busy while the 95 rotates and reloads for the kill shot. If I track them they are dead. A smart attacker will go for me first, but for some reason they always seem to go for the 95.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #3289
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
As an aside, what some of us do, sometimes, is before transferring... "DROP" the perks for a crew member. What this gives you is a "pool" of experience points from which to draw for that crew member.
I would never do this when I have a premium tank of the same nation and class. I know Smurf already shared the basic idea, but I want to provide a different perspective.

My T34 is currently operated by a T110E5 crew. I do not own a T110E5. I manually trained them for the T110E5 at 90% and then used the T34 to get them back to 100% base skill. Now, when I finally buy the T110E5, I have a fully trained crew from match #1.

Edit: I've been waiting/hoping for a Churchill sale for the same reason. I have an IS-8 + near-perkless crew that I hate driving, and I'll be damned if I am training a crew in an IS-7 with that horrible repair cost.

janeuner screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 08:11 AM
janeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:02 AM   #3290
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
One thing that helps is that most, if not all, of the high tier arty have much higher reload times if you catch them after a shot you have quite a bit of time to kill them.
I don't recall thinking the Pershing was slow, but I think I upgraded the engine right away. In fact, I have to be careful not to get too far ahead of support.

On an unrelated note, I discovered a near perfect partner for my Super Pershing[SP]. the T95. The SP isn't much faster so its easy to stay with the T95. Once the T95 picks it's spot I park to cover it's sides or back and use it for cover. If someone comes to kill the 95, the SP has the armor to take a decent beating and generally keep the attacker(s) busy while the 95 rotates and reloads for the kill shot. If I track them they are dead. A smart attacker will go for me first, but for some reason they always seem to go for the 95.
Yea...the engine is the base one....I came from the t20 and am just too cheap to spend the free exp to upgrade the thing....I like to keep 30k in free exp.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #3291
janeuner
Get Some

Save the free xp for the Patton!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:17 AM   #3292
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Yea...the engine is the base one....I came from the t20 and am just too cheap to spend the free exp to upgrade the thing....I like to keep 30k in free exp.
Luckily it's an effective tank stock or near stock. Just slow. I've pissed and moaned about running the Patton stock enough times that I shouldn't have to tell you(but I will anywat anyway :) ) to save up enough free exp for tracks and a better gun on the Patton when you get it.

I don't love the Pershing, but I do well with it (56% win rate).

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
My T34 is currently operated by a T110E5 crew. I do not own a T110E5. I manually trained them for the T110E5 at 90% and then used the T34 to get them back to 100% base skill. Now, when I finally buy the T110E5, I have a fully trained crew from match #1.
I'm doing the same thing with my Super Pershing crew for the M48A1.
I pulled my E8 crew and ran them up to the 3rd skill in the Super Pershing. Then I retrained them with silver for the M48A1. Now I'm working on getting them back to 100%.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #3293
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I would never do this when I have a premium tank of the same nation and class. I know Smurf already shared the basic idea, but I want to provide a different perspective.

Edit: I've been waiting/hoping for a Churchill sale for the same reason. I have an IS-8 + near-perkless crew that I hate driving, and I'll be damned if I am training a crew in an IS-7 with that horrible repair cost.
I've never thought about it like that - in fact, I've never realized, until just now, that we could train crews for tanks we don't own, lol.

Good stuff, thanks for the tips. I'll throw the M103 crew over to 110E5, then run them up in the T34 since I have to grind it anyway.

I still wouldn't hesitate to trade perks for skills with some crew on tanks that I don't have premiums for, but hell, I own a T34... why don't I use the damned thing?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #3294
janeuner
Get Some

Quote:
In fact, I've never realized, until just now, that we could train crews for tanks we don't own, lol.
You can train a crew for any tank you have unlocked in the tech tree.

Don't feel bad. It took more than a year of playing before I realized that a tank crew trained for a premium tank was a enormous waste of my time! Then I realized if I am storing the crew in the premium tank, why the hell aren't I using it!

That realization also turned the M4A2E4 and the Matilda into primary tanks. Go figure ~~~

janeuner screwed with this post 11-16-2012 at 09:29 AM
janeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #3295
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

I can't for 8.2 so that my Type 59 crew can be used productively on more than one tank.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #3296
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,471
ELC AMX is perhaps the most fun tank in the game, not very useful but fucking fun.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #3297
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
ELC AMX is perhaps the most fun tank in the game, not very useful but fucking fun.
Yeah, when used poorly they roam around and die early as a scout.

It has the barrel from the 13 90 as it's top gun... and that can pen tier tens. Used well, they are very capable at taking on tier 8's.

The small AMX line, with their top guns, should very rarely, if ever, be considered a scout tank for any tier battle. I just got done killing 3 damaged tanks in my 12t, two of them tier 7's. Likewise, I've seen ELC's own tier 6's.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #3298
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,462
used the laptop out to watch endurocross tonight. played a little tanks while it was hooked up. the 50" screen and booming sound was nice, but turns out didn't help my game play any

vwboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #3299
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Hehehehe....I killed a KV-4 in two shots this morning from my SU-100.

First shot lit him on fire. Second shot lit him up again.....
Old 11-18-2012, 06:37 AM   #3300
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,741
Quote:
Yeah, when used poorly they roam around and die early as a scout.

It has the barrel from the 13 90 as it's top gun... and that can pen tier tens. Used well, they are very capable at taking on tier 8's.

The small AMX line, with their top guns, should very rarely, if ever, be considered a scout tank for any tier battle. I just got done killing 3 damaged tanks in my 12t, two of them tier 7's. Likewise, I've seen ELC's own tier 6's.
I invoked this theory last night in a Malinovka Encounter battle, and got publicly flayed for "oh look, another ELC driver who thinks he's a sniper! Go scout for us, dumbass!!"

3 kills and a ton of silver proved your point, though, and it changes the way I'm going to use the thing. I was addicted to the speed, and thought it made me a better scout, but that's never quite worked out the way I wanted it to. Need to swap the coated optics for binocs, I think, so I get better range tucked under a shrub than "running vision".
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: