Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 348 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #3376
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Are you shooting gold rounds? How are you going 20K down?

It's 1k each time you pull the trigger even with the small gun, around 20k to fix it if it blows up. i run 100 octane fuel on mine so that's 5k and i have a repair kit on it that's 3k. so it adds up fast. so if you get 10 shots off, die, and use a repair kit that's 38k spent.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #3377
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchblade315 View Post
It's 1k each time you pull the trigger even with the small gun, around 20k to fix it if it blows up. i run 100 octane fuel on mine so that's 5k and i have a repair kit on it that's 3k. so it adds up fast. so if you get 10 shots off, die, and use a repair kit that's 38k spent.
Exactimundo.

Only difference is, I have a first aid kit, repair kit, and gas. I need my gunner at full health.

Still haven't been in a situation where bulldozing has helped any.

The only thing in my experience that keeps any money at all, is hardly engaging the enemy, taking few hits and offering few shots... now what's the point of that?
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #3378
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Don't forget to go to the Store and buy your Gold rounds (for Silver) at half price.

This is especially pertinent for your tier 8 Premium tanks (penning higher tiers earns more XP, and it may earn more Silver too - I don't know), and any tanks you commonly use in company battles (so I bought gold rounds for the M18 and the KV-1S). And, of course, the tier tens you use in clan wars.

An example of the earning of premium tanks is that, with a premium account (the TURKEYDAY code), I went into battle with the KV-5, and fired 5 shots, total, that game - all were Gold rounds. I made 43,xxx silver for the game, and at half price those 5 rounds cost 10k. Worth it for the penetration against higher tiers.

My luck tonight was to have four absolutely awesome rounds in my AMX 13 75, but then to have the teams lose each game after I was sure we'd win. So my double was spent on a worthless game after four good tries.

Looks like the M18 on my second account is a tank that has to stay in the stable now... started joining company battles with it, and usually it's those, KV-1S's, and Grilles for company battles. I joined up with ENJOY's medium company and won more than I lost, but then we lost some to really embarrassing teams because we were given orders to do some dumb things on sure-wins. But then each clan or company battle caller has to be given the chance to learn things that shouldn't be done. He seemed like a good guy otherwise. The main problem maker was some clan mate of theirs who was a total screw up.

So, anyway, if you're looking for a good company battle, get in with a group that is mostly all clan mates, and be ready to copy/paste the supplied TS info so you can hear commands and talk. For any tank you have for a company battle, the crew should be at least all 100%, and the tank fully upgraded. Gold rounds are used a lot, and by and large the tanks to have are:

Mediums (in order of common use/appearance)
KV-1S (4 to 6)
Grille
M18 (seems like usually 2 of them)
T-50
- 3601 with the conical Konisch barrel (but only if you are willing to shoot nothing but gold rounds out of it, and a LOT of them)
- on occasion a good group will bring one single KV-2 to lay down even more damage.
- some guys like to use two SU-26's in addition to two Grilles

All other tier 6's pale too much in comparison to the KV-1S's though.

If you come across a medium company who has something other than those, be highly suspect that it is, or will be, a fail company.

Edit: this was one day later, an example of a relatively good mix vs. a kind of bad mix (not the baddest I've seen)

The next Company Battles up are Champion tank companies, and again they expect gold rounds, 100% crews, and
IS-3's
GW Panthers
sometimes S-51's
occasionally a T32 (since, hull down, they are pretty tough, can keep up with IS-3's, and shoot well).
T-50 / AMX 13 90
really occasionally a Tiger II, but Tiger II's can't hand with IS-3's, so they end up hurting the group sooner or later.

It really, really helps to have a good win ratio to get chosen by the better companies. If not, try to make friends with someone who runs them to try to get in with good players and to have a chance to win more. Keep in mind that organized, clan-war-oriented clans have clan meetings every night, so if some of them, or all of them, are done with clan wars, then they are often found doing company battles.

That's a problem if you're not with them. So I'm not sure, but my guess is that if you can only join a medium-quality company for a Company battle, that it would be better to do it as early in the day as possible to have a chance to play even worse teams. Once the around 60% win ratio teams organize and get to playing it's really, really tough to beat them with a patched-together team of misfits who may not all be on voice comms.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 05:49 AM Reason: added the SU-26
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #3379
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Exactimundo.

Only difference is, I have a first aid kit, repair kit, and gas. I need my gunner at full health.

Still haven't been in a situation where bulldozing has helped any.

The only thing in my experience that keeps any money at all, is hardly engaging the enemy, taking few hits and offering few shots... now what's the point of that?

Yep this is how I started out playing it. the bigger guns help with this. the 12.5 will make you less worried about meeting up with the bigger guys. I carry 8 gold rounds on my E-75 if I'm top tier I don't use them unless I meat the other sides heaves face to face, or a type 59. Also with it's 15+ second reload it cuts down on how much you spend but at the same time the damage it does rakes in more coins.

Regardless playing it back to back will lose coins. i did that one night last week and lost 200k before I stopped.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #3380
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,354
Higher tier Public battles are just money losers, I usually play a few rounds of premium tanks to generate enough income to balance out the expendature of running higher tier pub matches. Churchill usually make decent credit, even with losses.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #3381
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,299
Would you believe I didn't fire a single shot to get this?

The enemy drove in a column along a valley, and I ran up and down the column on other side of the hill, sticking my head over the hill on occasion in order spot the bad guys.

Some silly tanks tried to chase and shoot me - and only wound up depriving their team of their gun while my team introduced the bad guys to their collective buzz-saws.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #3382
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Platoons make it all worthwhile for me. Papalobster, timk and I platooned up tonight and cleaned house. 2 Tigers and a Tiger P and we dominated 3 matches in a row, among our other pursuits. Thanks for the play time tonight gentlemen.
I need to get in on some more platoon action. I'm stuck in all tier 3s... matchmaker sucks. The majority of my games here lately are all 5s except for me and another 3 on the other team.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:59 AM   #3383
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheedle View Post
I need to get in on some more platoon action. I'm stuck in all tier 3s... matchmaker sucks. The majority of my games here lately are all 5s except for me and another 3 on the other team.
Are you playing Arty? if so, that is a normal thing.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #3384
Sumo64c
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I love my M22...by far most of my WOT time unless the Mrs is with me and we're dual spg's. I've found another use for the best premium light...it makes a great tug when pushing heavies up to the front lines. If you do it right you take no damage so no penalties for the heavy you're helping. I time it right arty ready to go in position just as I break free and do the scouting gig. My usual victims are Churchills or kv1's. Getting a heavy in key areas on certain maps can certainly be a good thing no?
Sumo64c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #3385
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumo64c View Post
I love my M22...by far most of my WOT time unless the Mrs is with me and we're dual spg's. I've found another use for the best premium light...it makes a great tug when pushing heavies up to the front lines. If you do it right you take no damage so no penalties for the heavy you're helping. I time it right arty ready to go in position just as I break free and do the scouting gig. My usual victims are Churchills or kv1's. Getting a heavy in key areas on certain maps can certainly be a good thing no?

We've done this with the E-75 before I got the big motor. all you have to do is ease up to them instead of full on hitting them. Done it with the tiger 2 as well. it will surprise people when you are places there's no way you should be that fast.

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM   #3386
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,555
Here's my thinking...

Upgraded turrets have hidden stats. We saw it in-game and through the WoT forums when the M10 was introduced - the 'upgraded' turret seemingly has the same stats, but it does rotate slower ... so then why even get it?

Well, the reload rate for the gun speeds up, and people were swearing that even though the turret was heavier, most seem to believe the M10 accelerates faster (maybe not in top speed, but in from a dead stop) with the upgraded turret.

And... now I'm thinking that the Tiger II benefits likewise. Not in acceleration - but finally, after a very long time, I decided to research the second turret instead of saving the research points for the top gun, and with that came more deflected shots from the hull's front armor. Go figure. The tank seems somewhat better now even though people weren't hitting me in the turret then, and they aren't now, and even though my turret now turns slower with the upgraded turret.

Just like with the actual camouflage values for each tank are never shown to us by War Gaming, I think WG should come clean with all these 'secret' stats that would affect which tanks we use, and how we use them.

So... forgive me for all my prior bitching. Back in the day I knew that not fully upgraded tanks sucked, but ... seems I just expected too much from it and the Patton.

A run down of about the last 24 hours:

The worst tier ten team I've seen...

No, Maus, you're just a dumb ass and you immediately wandered into the middle, alone, at the start for all to see you and shoot you.

It was that early game this morning that changed everything on how I played my T34 today - after that game, and so many others just like it this holiday weekend, I just decided I would hold back for the rest of all games and not even try to win it. My goal was to only pen as many as possible while earning as much cash for the loss as possible. I don't mind using my tier 8 to help and aid my tier tens if they deserve to be in tier tens, but don't show up in a public battle with a crap efficiency and expect me to go ahead of you to spot, scout, or even to trust you to stick with you.

Yesterday, however, with a platoon of buddies...

(I copied/pasted that M24 up there from the previous screen shot since they all didn't fit on that scroll list.)

The Tiger II starts coming around (with gold rounds normally since I don't have the best gun)

And, lastly, a good paycheck:

In the hours I played the KV-5 I was able to do quite a few of those over-100,000 silver games... but most required me to use my stash of 18 Gold rounds.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 12:37 PM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #3387
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

i have to laugh.. told ya the second turret made the difference.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #3388
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
I'm sure it's been covered, but what is the add on that shows stats in game? not like i really wanna see my own, but....
Old 11-25-2012, 02:22 PM   #3389
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I'm sure it's been covered, but what is the add on that shows stats in game? not like i really wanna see my own, but....
I was just gonna ask the same thing. might come in handy.
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #3390
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
really honks me off I have to spend 16k xp for engines that dont do shit on a T150 so I can work towards the next tank. Open maps are insta-lose. Can't keep up with a team so I get picked off on my own

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: