Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 399 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #3481
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
easy to slap em a bit with arty when they are in battle

I have twice now on start up of the game had my arty fire a shot without me even touching the mouse, unfortunately both times there was a tank right there showing me their backside.... Dough!!!!
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:18 PM   #3482
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,007
i dunno. Shooting someone on your own team = asshole.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #3483
OLDNX
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 612
first battle with the Churchill me thinkie me likie

. Photobucket

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck
OLDNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #3484
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Pretty easy to get Steel Wall with a Churchill when you're top tier because everybody goes for the chassis shots, not realizing that the turret is your weak point. I ran up against a Church last night in my sandbagging T40.....he didn't win.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #3485
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
If you dunno something, get to know before you pass judgement.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:40 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #3486
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,793
Quote:
. Shooting someone on your own team = asshole.
I tend to agree. Dick move. If someone doesn't move, maybe they got booted from the server. Happens to me often enough that I don't judge AFK's. I won't shoot them either. You do what you think is right. I'm still gonna disagree.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #3487
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,350
+1 - I have a recurring problem where my FPS < 10 and I have to end the game and then come back in order to get a playable game. Shooting an ally, inactive or not, is a waste of ammo.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #3488
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,073
someone has to be a purity big jerk for me to fire on them, if they are firing on a teammate is one of those things that classifies someone as a jerk, and i don't mean one shot I mean repeated firing at someone. Being rude in chat will get it sometimes if it's bad enough, and I always ward them a few times first that it's about to happen.

now those that fire as soon as the game starts piss me off then again as soon as they reload piss me off. I have heard of the shot as soon as the game loads due to some glitch alto I have never had it happen but the second shot is BS.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #3489
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
I have twice now on start up of the game had my arty fire a shot without me even touching the mouse, unfortunately both times there was a tank right there showing me their backside.... Dough!!!!
first thing i do is elevate my barrel when a game starts. i also tend to not take my finger off the mouse pad when an ally is in front of me.

i will play w the wireless mouse a bit more but i think thats way better
Old 12-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #3490
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,844
Quote:
In some circumstances I won't disagree ... but this asshole wanted to win, and the presence of a 'Medium' mark on the map where a Lee would be gave my teams false senses of security that that flank was covered, and I was more about winning than allowing a Lee to muck it up.

In others - it's a team-based game. The player chooses the tank and, thus, from a limited amount of play styles with which he or she can support the team's goals based on the placement (top tier, mid-tier, low-tier) the MM gives. Refusing to help means placing burden on teammates who, if it's apparent they can't win without the tank who isn't helping, should have every right to shoot a cowardly or non-functional teammate. After all, the agreed upon goal of a 'game' is to win. If someone is playing under some other pretense (like it's a past-time much like art, music, a day at the park, etc.), then it's not the team that is the problem... it's that specific player.

And that's just the problem with 'free to play' games in that most people have nothing invested in it, so quite a few don't value the 'game' aspect. That's why I liked Eve Online - everyone paid to be there, and everyone was desperate to 'win' the numerous and complex conundrums we'd find ourselves in. It was more of an adult form of game - much like gambling - and the losses were (far more) real and pertinent.

The desire to win is draining, though, and I've recently been taking somewhat of a break from WoT to play yet another free to play game, War Thunder - which is various circa-WWII aircraft (USA, Germany + Italy, USSR, Britain, Japan - and, yes, it seems it may be Russian devs there as well, so best my buddy and I can see - don't skip the Russian line) placed much like WoT. There are various ways to win depending on map style (kill all enemies, kill all AI ground troops and/or ships, capture all airfields), and you basically can use all planes that you own in a country if the battle lasts long enough and if you keep dying.

It's mouse-based or joystick-based playing, but it's the best mouse-based flying mod I've ever used... so no problems with killing people when using a mouse.

There probably is a win/loss ratio and such for that game as well, but I don't care about them, and just flying around and shooting stuff is pretty entertaining. To guys who are into flying, it really brings a desire to learn more about each aircraft (for example, who knew I'd enjoy flying a Catalina as a 'troll' plane, lol? - Or desire to go see (and want to own) a Buffalo F2A, a plane we entered WWII with?).

Ooh, yeah, and there is much less of a chance of getting TK'ed for being useless if that's your play style, lol. I mean, I think most of us have shot friendly planes on accident because chasing enemies just lines you up together to accidentally do so, but it's not like most players are meaning to do it. Then again, most players are Russian, so having English (usually American-based texts or pictures from American Aircraft) writing on your planes (my favorite: "BUT WE'RE NOT JOKING" in huge letters on the top of my wings) might get some angry/jealous/drunk Russians shooting at you, but that's rare enough.

Edit again - screenshots of it:

Obviously I ... 'enhanced' a bomber pin-up girl image to a certain part of her anatomy to enlarge it and place it where I, and the enemies I shoot down (they get a brief shot of the killing plane flying like you do when a tank kills you in WoT), can enjoy it. I have to think that even the ghosts of the courageous WWII American airmen would appreciate a modern take / placement on how to place the artwork that only a few of them were allowed to paint on their planes.

Lower left corner are ground forces left on each side - for some battles killing them all is the way to win. On this map I have even had a Luke SkyWalker moment when screaming through a tight canyon with enemies on my tail shooting me for the last ground forces kill in a 1 to 1 ground-forces-left battle. Exhilarating, sorta.

Upper right hand corner is the radar, top middle is the balance each side is winning or losing. The plane above is an A20 Havoc.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:58 AM
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #3491
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
In some circumstances I won't disagree ... but this asshole wanted to win, and the presence of a 'Medium' mark on the map where a Lee would be gave my teams false senses of security that that flank was covered, and I was more about winning than allowing a Lee to muck it up..
Are you saying you have killed a team mate because you didn't want to have your team have a false sense of security that you would hold that side of the map?

If so.. in a public game.. you are an asshole. No matter who the hell you think you are.. every player in a random game has just as much right to be there as your self.

Quote:
There probably is a win/loss ratio and such for that game as well, but I don't care about them, and just flying around and shooting stuff is pretty entertaining.
So you are allowed to just fly around in a game and enjoy yourself.. but if someone does the same on your team in WoT.. .you are going to kill them because they aren't allowed to just have fun themselves?

Geek screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:32 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:52 AM   #3492
Cat0020
El cheapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
So you are allowed to just fly around in a game and enjoy yourself.. but if someone does the same on your team in WoT.. .you are going to kill them because they aren't allowed to just have fun themselves?
You can enjoy yourself all you want in a training room.

If you participate in a battle, you better be prepared to do battle; win or lose, at least take part in the battle.

Another act of idiocy is the suicide scouting, those that rush across the map within 20 second of battle start and get themselves killed before enemy team has dispersed, it's like rushing into concentrated enemy fire.
See them more frequent these days with the faster, more mobile British tanks.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #3493
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Are you saying you have killed a team mate because you didn't want to have your team have a false sense of security that you would hold that side of the map?

If so.. in a public game.. you are an asshole. No matter who the hell you think you are
I was actually admitting that I was being an asshole - Yes. Thank you, but I think that was evident enough. (you seem to misunderstand why, and how it was used, but no matter)

Yes, in WoT I focus on the wins enough that i can become an asshole to some. I won't bark orders, but I admit to shooting a tank out of frustration with them for incurring a loss out of an otherwise winnable game (like a tank that leaves the cap for no reason, slowing ours and allowing the other team to win by out-capping us).

Again, to all who read this and didn't, somehow, get it from the last post - I am a competitive asshole in WoT. (I don't platoon with people who don't show some decent skills, but I will do training rooms with them to help them where-ever and how-ever I can... and by 'decent' I mean that I consider myself one of the lower forms of life in the clan I am in now... so it isn't asking much - I've played with quite a few great players, and I am by no means one of them, nor will I ever be unless I start taking Ritalin or something)

The flying game, yeah, we all expect teammate to do what they can, but it's so varied and there are so many ways to help that no one really focuses on teammates. Sure, at the end when some teammate is at the other end of the map doing nothing it may be obvious, but by that time there is no getting at him. Most times, though, since it is a beta game, we don't have many clueless fuck ups playing the game right now (and I am here-by admitting I was such a fuck up for my first +2500 battles in WoT, but then - I wasn't a higher tier tank player yet, either*). I think, too, that since even the weakest plane can help win it if he can sneak and capture an airfield, fewer players feel useless. I have actually 'won' the game for us twice in much, much lesser planes while the few remaining advanced planes on my side fought it out and kept the enemy SpitFires distracted.

Quote:
So you are allowed to just fly around in a game and enjoy yourself..
Um... perhaps you misunderstand my definition of a 'game' if you think that's what I'm doing. Games are only entered if meant to be won. Anything else is a past-time or practice. I guess single-player games aren't really games to me, and thus are much, much better past-times than hitting that 'Battle' button in WoT where you should have the consideration to actually want to win (that does not mean stay alive - it means Win). Want a past-time? Play Solitaire, or some singe-player against an AI 'game.' Saying 'fuck you all' to 14 real people, even if you don't know them, is the true 'asshole' move. (which can be either not helping, or refusing to understand and train one's skills before jumping into a higher-tier tank... like those guys who race up to tier 8 , 9, or 10 tanks with under 2000 battles, then wonder why they are the target of frustration in a team-based game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Another act of idiocy is the suicide scouting, those that rush across the map within 20 second of battle start and get themselves killed before enemy team has dispersed, it's like rushing into concentrated enemy fire.
See them more frequent these days with the faster, more mobile British tanks.
And that's exactly what I was doing in my Pzk III early on - That 'Scout' badge confused me as it would give an award for scouting 9 or more players... so if the game was giving me a medal - man, I must be doing something right, right?! LOL. My stats on my original account have ever-since been a slow recovery from a 48% or 49% win ratio.

There is, I think, a recent thread in the WoT forums suggesting WoT should throw out all awards that don't directly support team-based play and team-based winning. I, too, think this would be a great idea to encourage newer or smaller-tank drivers, and even larger tankers, to be engaged in the game in a better way.

Ah! Here that thread is: http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....age-team-play/

Operation: WIN! Medals that actually encourage team play

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 09:21 AM
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #3494
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Let me add this interesting way to change WoT, or that the War Thunder seems to offer (for now):

The 'earnings' in XP and silver/cash/Lions/whatever-it-is in War Thunder is based more on player input than winning.

With that said, the 'problem' I now see with WoT, that which makes me and others 'assholes' and that I didn't see before, is that Winning a round earns far more XP, and the drive for Daily Doubles places extra emphasis on an already flawed - if being friendly to 7 year olds and people who refuse to learn to play before getting into bigger tanks is a goal - system.

Maybe I'm seeing the error in my ways that was developed from what I didn't see as an improper scoring system? WoT is what it is, and sure - Double XP for the first win sounds good on the face of it... but now I'm not so sure.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #3495
Cat0020
El cheapo

Playing as an arty, I often reduce enemy capture points on ally base (reset cap) to allow ally tanks to capture enemy base in time for the win of battle, but I don't receive the most EXP for the win.

Cat0020 screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 07:42 PM
Cat0020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: