Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 214 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #4021
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Of course, my first round out, I got my ass handed to me. I suspect it'll take a little practice to get a good % in it.

Congrats on getting one of the funnest tier 10's in the game! I'm sure you'll do fine with it after some practice. And that Churchill score was awesome.

---

In my buddy's defense (that first T21 player in the video), his different play style works out well enough. SMithy, you may want to take a look at this BatChat replay of his from I think this morning... It certainly isn't how I'd play it, but it both worked, and who knows how well my style would have helped the team anyway? This should be a free download after like a 15 second wait time - if it isn't, someone tell me so I will stop using this sharing site:
http://www.2shared.com/file/lg8mE-iN/20121225_0807_france-Bat_Chati.html

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-25-2012 at 11:45 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:45 PM   #4022
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,490
Cool replay.

This is how my thinking for this game has evolved. There are three kinds of shots one can take: The sure shot, which you know will hit your target, the Hopeful shot, which has some doubt attached but you can afford the round and luck will often enough work out, and the Foolish shot, which you know will miss but you pull the trigger anyway, because that's just what you do in the fog of war and excitement of the moment.

For tanks with large capacities and rapid reloads, discriminating between these is less important. The Churchill reigns in this department, being tough enough that exposing one's self through shooting isn't a big deal, and eventually you'll land enough hits to press through. It's a jackhammer.

For "normal" tanks, like the E8 or IS series, one usually advances to contact, finds a comfortable position (hull down behind cover is best), and proceeds to fire sure shots, with a few hopeful's thrown in there. Again, attrition and luck play a role, but if you do your job placing your gun in a hard to see and hard to hit location, the rest follows.

For a highly mobile tank, lights and mediums, the key to success lies in knowing the difference between a foolish, a hopeful, and a sure shot. Sure's are rare because you're usually on the move, held back, or under some kind of pressure, but knowing the difference between a hopeful shot and a foolish shot gets blurry in the heat of battle. Wasted rounds on foolish attempts screw you when it's reload time and you're trying to run instead of being offensive, and getting wound up about that can lose you the game, quickly, and at great cost.

And in this afternoon's play of the 25t, I can see that working out the difference between a foolish and hopeful shot, is going to be key. Can't just lob one over and hope it hits - chance and armor do enough to deflect a well-placed one, I need to be reasonably sure it will hit before squeezing one off and keeping the pressure on my enemy. Foolishly wasted rounds at this level mean death.

Proprietor of The Tidewater Forge
Hot iron is my passion. Fire is my mistress. Let's dance.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #4023
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Quote:
Can't just lob one over and hope it hits - chance and armor do enough to deflect a well-placed one, I need to be reasonably sure it will hit before squeezing one off and keeping the pressure on my enemy. Foolishly wasted rounds at this level mean death.
Very well said, I started to realize, somewhere after tier 5 is where that distinction is made, depending on your gun that may be at tier 5, and for artilliary it is right at the inception of the line.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #4024
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Very well said, I started to realize, somewhere after tier 5 is where that distinction is made, depending on your gun that may be at tier 5, and for artilliary it is right at the inception of the line.
On my main account it was probably at tier 5 for me as well, but I was still a spaz in close-up battling, and didn't trust firing-on-the-move for a long time after, either.
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #4025
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

yeah, firing on the move for me means mostly misses...
Old 12-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #4026
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,572
I'm not sure what it is about the Churchill III but I find that thing to be *really* good at shooting on the move. You zoom in and the sight is bouncing around significantly less that any other tank I own.

I'd imagine it is similar to what having a "smooth ride" perk at 100% feels like?

I'm going to be grinding the IS3 tonight for a bit if anyone feels like slinging some lead. I have the big barrel and the big turret on it now... and the crew is at 96% of their first perk so I'm trying to get them to 100.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #4027
Geek
oot & aboot

I erased the ADV sticker on BigBird's KV1

Old 12-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #4028
OConnor OP
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,198
Quote:
This is how my thinking for this game has evolved. There are three kinds of shots one can take: The sure shot, which you know will hit your target, the Hopeful shot, which has some doubt attached but you can afford the round and luck will often enough work out, and the Foolish shot, which you know will miss but you pull the trigger anyway, because that's just what you do in the fog of war and excitement of the moment.
This is huge with the T30 and the 155 gun. First few games you think you're Zeus with a handful of lightning bolts but quickly realize it will bounce when it shouldn't and lose accuracy at the most inopportune moments, then you have the reload time when everyone makes their move on you.
2000 Suzuki SV650 race bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #4029
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Nice round!

It amazes me how often the Churchill III ends up with 1000+ and top of the heap.
When you look at its stats - the "wimpy" gun and the slow speeds.. you'd think it would be useless.

The other Day Getsome & I were running two together with Cat shooting an SU26 to back us up and we were completely dominating round after round.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:38 PM   #4030
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

It also amazes me how the Matilda Black Prince does as well as it does being very slow and only a medium, however that medium is half the size of a heavy, has just as many hit points, and reloads very quickly... I hate goin up against them with a tier 4, which is why I now own one.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #4031
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,239
finally had a super (for me)round in my T28 Proto

The T28Proto and I were bumper to bumper, I put two into his soft spot while he was firing willy nilly

. Took out the last 4 tanks 1 on 1, the 26E4 while in their cap to win the game. It's disconcerting to know ya only have a second once you see a tank to make a shot.
Finished the round with only an SU8 on my team while waiting in enemy cap.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #4032
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,842
I'm back to playing my three light tanks for a while. It's so much fun to go flying across the country side, instead of plodding.
I got my Luchs into a sideways skid through a desert courtyard while running for my life. I was too concerned with who was on my tail to really appreciate it at the time

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:00 PM   #4033
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

I am looking at trying to go a light route somewhere, I am thinking american rather than french though as I have issues waiving the white flag to surrender.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #4034
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
I am looking at trying to go a light route somewhere, I am thinking american rather than french though as I have issues waiving the white flag to surrender.
Don't dis the french tanks... they're the only ones that have 8 gears for reverse
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #4035
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Don't dis the french tanks... they're the only ones that have 8 gears for reverse

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: