User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 542 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #4036
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,908
Then again, sometimes it's the little tanks that score big.

Victory!
Battle: Dragon Ridge Tuesday, December 25, 2012 11:19:04 PM
Vehicle: T-127
Experience received: 4,074 (x2 for the first victory each day)
Credits received: 23,406
Battle Achievements: Pascucci's Medal, Top Gun
Old 12-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #4037
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,703
Thoughts on the "gift" tank?

I have only played it a few times but so far I am not impressed....time will tell, it has been a long time since I have played a tank with a 50% crew....that could explain a great deal.

Had my first run in with a pack of t69 (I think) that american auto loading tank....OMG insane, two of them blew my tiger II to hell in seconds....I decided I will need to start working to one....got to the stewart so far....a little way to go...I think they will slow down that tank....unless it has paper armor....I don't know I could not land a shot.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #4038
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Thoughts on the "gift" tank?

I have only played it a few times but so far I am not impressed....time will tell, it has been a long time since I have played a tank with a 50% crew....that could explain a great deal.
Considering it's a premium tank, there is no reason to be running a 50% crew in it. But don't go training up a 75% crew specifically for it - you may already have a crew that will fit into it without retraining.

Other thoughts:

* There seemingly isn't a faster firing gun in the game (that I know of). At close range, even a premium Churchill's gun would be considered 'slow' compared to how fast it fires. It is almost requiring a retraining of my pointer finger to fire the mouse button that fast when I need CQ fire. Granted, it's a magazine/cylinder turret like french tanks, but at tier 2 the speed of the shots that can be fired is neat. The reload of the cylinder takes about as long as one of the normal 'powerful' gun reloads at tier 2

* Unless you free-XP'd past them, this gift coincides nicely with the introduction of the new American line after the old M7. The new line starts off dropping from the medium-chassis of the M7 down to light-chassis tanks. Having already bought the first new tank in that line, the light T21, I found it cool that part of the T21's crew could cross-train in my new light premium (the Commander, Driver and Loader ... not, sadly, the gunner, but whatever...) to both help get their skills up to 100% and, later, to boost their perks. Granted, playing the T21 isn't really expensive anyway, so it isn't about making tons of silver... but it's still kind of neat.

* It's even more neat to have an excuse to slum it down at tier 2's. A few friends and I get pretty stressed and downtrodden after losses that should have been wins by the hands of our higher-tier random-drooler mouth-breathing teammates, and have found some fun in the game by playing the tier 2 tanks. (I had an excellent game in which I did a staggering amount of damage in my brand-new French tier 7 heavy last night - I mean like ungodly... earning the Confederate award, and nicely setting up my team for a win that they all ended up too brain-dead to accomplish. Another loss in its second battle convinced me that, again, it's time to take a break from WoT... )

* Likewise, the stress that comes with considering entering a battle with a T21 and playing it well (and I mean well: like taking down a tier 8 or 9 solo with your light tier 6 - remember what I wrote earlier about being at the top of your game for medium-tank play?) just isn't there with a tier 2 tank. So, again, the crew gets training, and I get to play and earn, even if I'm not feeling up to playing my best. Granted, many probably already keep a tier 1 or tier 2 to play this way, but I didn't... until they went and just gave me one.

I have mine fitted with a vent, camo net and binocs. I may change out the binocs eventually since shooting anything other than tier 2's and 1's at distances isn't effective with the new tank - it just doesn't pen at extreme distances.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 08:30 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #4039
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
, I found it cool that part of the T21's crew could cross-train in my new light premium (the Commander, Driver and Loader ... not, sadly, the gunner, but whatever...) to both help get their skills up to 100% and, later, to boost their perks.

I have mine fitted with a vent, camo net and binocs. I may change out the binocs eventually since shooting anything other than tier 2's and 1's at distances isn't effective with the new tank - it just doesn't pen at extreme distances.
Crew training is a function of XP. Training them in a Tier 2 where a win is 300xp might take a while

You definitely don't need a loader in the thing.. it loads as fast as I can hit the button. Perhaps a vertical stab might be fun.. I just find it hard to put a 600,000 piece of equipment in a Tier 2

Lets run 'em today for fun Dave. I'll look for you online later.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #4040
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,746
apparently airport free wifi is not good enough to play tanks. so much for my entertainment for the next hour

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #4041
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
apparently airport free wifi is not good enough to play tanks. so much for my entertainment for the next hour
Since you have it installed you could probably download & watch replays.. find some new map strategies?
http://mwreplays.com/
unlike streaming a video (which also sucks at the airport) - these allow you download a 2 meg'ish file and then replay in the game.
(forgive me if you already new this.. just throwing it out there for those who maybe don't )

I just watched one with a batchat that had 9 kills

p.s. apparently 30mb/s isn't good enough either. I sure hope this horrible ping that started last week is just due to all the kiddies being on Christmas break and that my sub-100 ping will return when they go back to school
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #4042
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

I just started down the american light road after I got it....up to the M5 now. It has a 50% crew as that is what it came with.

After having that run-in with that t69 or whatever the hell it was I decided to start working that way.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #4043
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Sorry Ed, I'm just about out the door to head to work.

Like I think you told me about your buddy, it takes a lot of time and weird hours.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #4044
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Since you have it installed you could probably download & watch replays.. find some new map strategies?
http://mwreplays.com/
unlike streaming a video (which also sucks at the airport) - these allow you download a 2 meg'ish file and then replay in the game.
(forgive me if you already new this.. just throwing it out there for those who maybe don't )

I just watched one with a batchat that had 9 kills

p.s. apparently 30mb/s isn't good enough either. I sure hope this horrible ping that started last week is just due to all the kiddies being on Christmas break and that my sub-100 ping will return when they go back to school

My ping was horrid until christmas eve....then it dropped to below 100 again. The game was un playable, if I was lucky it was in the 300's and more often than not it would just flat line at 999.

We will see how it is after I get off work tonight.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #4045
vwboomer
Buffoon

thanks Geek I was not aware. I will look into it in the future.
Cant hurt to see what people are doing

Old 12-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #4046
Geek
oot & aboot

I'm *finally* starting to get the hang of how to brawl a Tier 8 heavy with a big gun (I never realized that my Tier 8 medium and all of my gold Tier 8's can't run "over tier" stuff. The Tier 9 BL-9 122mm gun I'm running on the Tier 8 IS3 is *awesome*. I usually see 425'ish damage every shot).

I had to put a 600,000 ammo rack in the IS3 but now it is much better and I've been able to own several Super Pershing's one on one.

After a truly frustrating day of having my team fall apart around me round after round (becca) I decided to do just one more round before bed in the IS3 - and was double rewarded.

Not only did I take first for the round.... I unlocked my first ever set of perks!

48K in a non-gold tank? Woot!

So....

I just unlocked
SIXTH SENSE
DEADEYE
CLUTCH BREAKING
REPAIRS

for the crew....

What should I do as their second perk?

Knowing their second perk takes over 400,000xp - I would imagine I should chose something that does NOT have to wait until 100% to become active (like I did on the first perks).

Suggestions?

cheers,
Ed

Geek screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 07:35 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #4047
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I

So....

I just unlocked
SIXTH SENSE
DEADEYE
CLUTCH BREAKING
REPAIRS

for the crew....

What should I do as their second perk?

Knowing their second perk takes over 400,000xp - I would imagine I should chose something that does NOT have to wait until 100% to become active (like I did on the first perks).

Suggestions?

cheers,
Ed
If it's a long-term tank, don't feel bad about going for Brothers in Arms for all crew as a second perk. I know you like to work short-term with the game, though, and since the IS-3 is a city brawler... repairs for the other 3 crew, and possibly safe stowage for the loader.

Repairs is a nice perk to have on heavies and td's, but it only really gets noticeable when all crew are at or near 100%. With repair on all crew the time it takes to repair a broken track is much shorter, thus eventually saving your tank from further damage again and again. (T95's with all crew at 100% repairs and a toolbox are many a tanker's nightmare. )

Seeing as how I basically go through a repair kit per heavy battle when I get tracked while sticking out and getting close to getting shot again, it would be something I'd consider to be a meaner tanker out in the streets.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 PM   #4048
Geek
oot & aboot

I like the tank - it'll be long term in the sense that it's going to lead to the IS-8 and then the Tier 10 IS-7.
I've no problem paying gold to transfer the crew 100% to the new tanks so the crew is a keeper?

So what if I put repairs on all of them?
Can a crew have 2x repairs skills?

If later I want to change their skills - what's the penalty?

Geek screwed with this post 12-26-2012 at 08:11 PM
Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #4049
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,499
Mentor or Recon for commander
Conyrolled impact or off-road driving for driver
Snap shot for gunner
Repair or Situation awareness for radioman or loader
Wait until skill reset special cones around to get Bros. in arms for all crews at once
Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #4050
vwboomer
Buffoon

6 for 6 loser teams with my KV4. in all but the last I came out ok with XP and better than broke even on the silver.

4-15, 6-15 battles piss me right off.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: