Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 348 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 AM   #4111
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
any general rules on throwing HEAT?

If I can't pen the front of something I usually switch over and do at least some damage, but it never seems to do anything like knock out a gun or turret.

Doing 150hp damage is better than bouncing but disabling something would be better.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #4112
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Edit: I had no idea that they had that kind of detail on the tanks. you can see the welds and the torch cuts on the plate steel.
I really think the amount of detail in the graphics of this game go unappreciated (because we're so busy shooting eachother )

Here.. the reflections in the water are shimmering. As you enter the water and actually make waves the reflections change accordingly

Here you can see mist in the air from the water evaporating through the sun beams as we are looking into the sun. WOW someone actually programmed that!

Here the tracks are throwing up foam in the appropriate places and it is proportional to your speed. Someone actually programmed in the physics of the water's reaction

...and even more amazingly is when you stop.. the foam stops sure.. but then the "white water" slowly air rates and the bubbles dissapate and it turns back to clear. Someone actually programmed in the airbubble mechanics in the water. It looks AMAZINGLY real

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #4113
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
i got in a match with a platoon of togs yesterday. 3 of them in ruinberg. Encounter battle.

They rolled through the streets 3 wide, with me in a church behind them flingling lead between the cracks.

Utterly devastated the other team. It was a wall of death and metal. Awesome.
Now that's an idea I hadn't considered.
Smithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #4114
Rafiki
Some Dude

Oddometer: 1,753
Just got this email...

Quote:
Treads for Threads
The tier 10 tank is the embodiment of strength, commitment, and accomplishment in World of Tanks®. It requires hours of gameplay, millions of credits, and tons of XP. Not to mention a lot of skill.
To reward the loyalty of our World of Tanks® players, everyone who has a tier 10 tank in their garage on January 10th 2013 at 23:59 PST, and has played at least five battles in any vehicle since December 20th 2012, will receive an exclusive World of Tanks® t-shirt as part of our Treads for Threads Campaign.
But that's not all. You, faithful members of the World of Tanks® community, will have a chance to vote on the t-shirt design you want to wear. Visit the voting page by clicking here to see the three choices and we’ll announce the winning design on January 11th 2013.
Be sure to check out the official Treads for Threads FAQ and Terms and Conditions for further details.
Roll out!

"Monkey killing Monkey over pieces of ground.
Silly monkeys give them thumbs.
They make a club, And beat their brother down."
Rafiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #4115
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
yeah. i'm going to try to grind the last 23k XP out in the E-75 tomorrow to get the E-100.

of corse i'll be broke once I do cause i only have 5.5mill saved up right now.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #4116
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
Just got this email...
That's incredible.

I voted for the first option, but see why people like the second. The third looks like too many cheesy WalMart t-shirt designs, lol.

I'm set with the one account... wish I had the time to grind the second. Gonna laugh if I find out they gave away more XXL shirts than any other size. I'm thinking I'm gonna get a medium and hope it fits. Most large shirts are actually XL.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:51 PM   #4117
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Anyone else having pen problems? I've got a new (to me) Jagdpanther, and shooting the 8.8 cm isn't damaging anything! Even the 7.5, which has a higher pen rating, but lower damage rating, wasn't doing squat.

I even bounced off a freakin Leopard!

What's really frustrating is the new tank started out pretty well - I was mixing it up with Tigers and stuff and doing ok, and now this! It's like someone replaced the shells with spaghetti!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #4118
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
Anyone else having pen problems? I've got a new (to me) Jagdpanther, and shooting the 8.8 cm isn't damaging anything! Even the 7.5, which has a higher pen rating, but lower damage rating, wasn't doing squat.

I even bounced off a freakin Leopard!

What's really frustrating is the new tank started out pretty well - I was mixing it up with Tigers and stuff and doing ok, and now this! It's like someone replaced the shells with spaghetti!
Use the 7.5 for that. The 8.8 bounces more than it should. Leopards and 2801's bounce stuff well, but no gun on the tier 7 jag is good enough that it won't require you to hit the right places on tanks.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:20 PM   #4119
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Use the 7.5 for that. The 8.8 bounces more than it should. Leopards and 2801's bounce stuff well, but no gun on the tier 7 jag is good enough that it won't require you to hit the right places on tanks.
I tried the 7.5, and it had the same problem, sadly,
Old 12-30-2012, 01:59 AM   #4120
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
You gotta ask yourself punk... do you feel lucky?
well? do ya punk?
go ahead.. make my day.

(what Callahan says before he fires his 85mm on the KV1 )

Probably better than "Hi Hunny Bunny" when they fire an IS-6...
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:54 AM   #4121
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
I tried the 7.5, and it had the same problem, sadly,
Are you running hit zone skins, and aiming appropriately?

I thought that JagdPanther was fine with the 7.5mm, and one of my most successful tanks (121 battles, 74% hit ratio). I probably started carrying a few Gold rounds in it, but those were mainly for high-tiers.

I see your hit-ratio is down around 62% with it, so my guess is either that you're taking very long-distance shots where the pen drops off (and missing some of those long-distance shots), or that you're still working on aiming. You own a few of them, so it's not like you don't know this, but the upgraded tracks, and clutch braking for the driver (have camo trained amongst the rest of the crew), will help spin your non-turreted TD's around faster. I can't remember if the Jagd is one where the tracks need upgraded to load on the bigger guns, but... it does anyway.

Even for distance shots, where the Jagd is good at accuracy, I found I still needed to try to hit a tank going perpendicular to me in the rear engine area, so that meant accounting for his movement and such to try to hit that area. Distance shooting to heavy tanks facing me, frontally, were usually not so great with pen IIRC.

Maybe something did happen to it though - I never rule out War Gaming nerfing German tanks - especially now as a Christmas gift to actual Germans.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #4122
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Just found this interesting, thought I'd share.

The following link is advertised as a 12 kill game in a T30 TD. I thought I'd watch it to see if I could learn any new tricks.

Instead, and I think some of you guys will feel the same, that by X-minutes (choose just about any number from 0 to 11) into it I had the feeling a couple of times that the video title may be a fake, or was just wondering how, this late in the game, could this player start to rack up the kills to add up to 12. I didn't really learn anything new, but what was reinforced was that perseverance pays off. From the get-go I knew his calm voice was much like some of the best Guerrillas players I have played with, and he maintained that calm, and that patience I've spoken to some of you about (that the absolute best players have in my experience of platooning with them) on TS. I mean, we're talking ultra-patience in not moving from an area for a good while, like this T30 driver eventually did.

He gets to be half-down on armor, his entire team leaves him, then his last platoon-mate gets killed, yet he just keeps on keeping on. If I ever recorded a video of Wiking (Guerrillas clan) playing his JagdTiger (69.6% win rate in the Jag, mostly due to his own skills - not luck, not teammates), it would appear much the same as he won against overwhelming odds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiMk2CVw5D0

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 06:53 AM
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #4123
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
I have noticed that i'm getting a slew of "penetration" announcements with no damage at all.

I shot an m3 lee in the rear with a hetzer, derp gun and he shells. Penetration. No damage.

This really seemed to start with 8.2
Old 12-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #4124
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I have noticed that i'm getting a slew of "penetration" announcements with no damage at all.

I shot an m3 lee in the rear with a hetzer, derp gun and he shells. Penetration. No damage.

This really seemed to start with 8.2
Are you sure they're not "we hit" announcements rather than penetration announcements?

At very least, with penetration and a HE round, multiple crew should be dead. You may not see that come up as damage though.

This is another area that's worth looking into with a friend or two in a training room, but ... I'm not buying a Lee tank ever again.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #4125
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm not buying a Lee tank ever again.

Some of us used free xp and skipped the lee all together
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: