User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 433 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 AM   #4141
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,279
Last night I was in the IS-3 with my BL9 (tier 9 gun).

An E-100 (Tier X heavy) was engaged and I flanked him broadside.

I put 5 gold rounds into the side of him (then ran out of gold and kept shooting normal rounds)... shooting the magic spots on the clown skins... and never penetrated. I wasn't far away either... close enough i could zoom in and shoot the tank exactly where I wanted (maybe 20 yards away?). He didn't even bother to turn his barrel toward me until he'd dealt with the Tier 9 he was fighting. Then he turned his barrel my way and sent me to the garage with one shot.

-35K income that round.

I can't wait to be the big dog on the field
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #4142
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
i average 25 hits a game
what other tank does that??
From a bygone era...

Old 12-31-2012, 07:54 AM   #4143
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

I put 5 gold rounds into the side of him (then ran out of gold and kept shooting normal rounds)... shooting the magic spots on the clown skins... and never penetrated. I wasn't far away either... close enough i could zoom in and shoot the tank exactly where I wanted (maybe 20 yards away?). He didn't even bother to turn his barrel toward me until he'd dealt with the Tier 9 he was fighting. Then he turned his barrel my way and sent me to the garage with one shot.

-35K income that round.

I can't wait to be the big dog on the field
I'm convinced that through artificial unbalancing via the matchmaker, wot is designed not to allow much deviation from 50% win/loss.

you might find the rare specimen who manages to go below 40 or above 60. but it seems to be a 50/50 shot overall.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #4144
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,981
Quote:

-35K income that round.
LOL. Sorry to read that.

That's a little odd, but I've even had slightly not-perfectly-shot rounds bounce off of the rear center of E-100's and Maus.

Both are tanks I have a very few places I try to hit. I remember from clan training where we all brought in every tier ten, and talked about pen areas, that the E-100 was one where it had vast spaces that either didn't pen or do anything. I seem to recall from the guy running the training that the area at the top of the tracks was a poor place to hit, but can't rememebr now. Some guys (who are better players than I) can rememebr all this stuff, but I sure can't.

Is the E-100 one that has a 'light bar' (it doesn't really have lights, but it has a raised section across the top of the turret like a police light bar)? I think I remember that being easy to pen.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 10:18 AM Reason: put the word "from" in there
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #4145
Geek
oot & aboot

This is pretty much the view I had of it.

I'm guessing I was hitting it too high above the tracks. Lesson learned.. next time I meet an E100 I'll shoot low

... of course any kind of angle and the thing gets tough to penn. fast!
Old 12-31-2012, 08:36 AM   #4146
janeuner
Get Some

There was an ancient discussion about this back in closed beta, now long gone from their public forums.

After some team size experimentation, they chose 15 because it diluted any one player's capabilities from overwhelmingly affecting the outcome of the match. Because :math: and such.

In a related note, platoons were implemented after the fact. At that time, someone came up with an analysis that a team that includes three players with a 52% solo win rate have a ~65% chance of winning the match. I understand XVM implemented the algorithm using overall win rate, which is why you often see a platoon-less 5% team sketch out a win.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #4147
janeuner
Get Some

E-100 at medium range, shoot the top half of the wheels.
E-100 at long range, shoot turret.
Otherwise, maneuver.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:44 AM   #4148
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismount View Post
I'm convinced that through artificial unbalancing via the matchmaker, wot is designed not to allow much deviation from 50% win/loss.

you might find the rare specimen who manages to go below 40 or above 60. but it seems to be a 50/50 shot overall.
You obviously haven't seen my loss rate in the T25 I was at 25% a couple days ago.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:17 AM   #4149
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
There was an ancient discussion about this back in closed beta, now long gone from their public forums.

After some team size experimentation, they chose 15 because it diluted any one player's capabilities from overwhelmingly affecting the outcome of the match. Because :math: and such.

In a related note, platoons were implemented after the fact. At that time, someone came up with an analysis that a team that includes three players with a 52% solo win rate have a ~65% chance of winning the match. I understand XVM implemented the algorithm using overall win rate, which is why you often see a platoon-less 5% team sketch out a win.
Good to know, Jan. Thanks for that.

I'm not sure I didn't somehow realize it all, but that was good of ya to post it.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:21 AM   #4150
Geek
oot & aboot

Woot! My Pershing's crew just unlocked their first perks.

Half way through the round the Sixth Sense came online.. confused me for a second as I'd never seen it in that tank

I'm grinding a bit with TS open if anyone wants to platoon
Old 12-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #4151
Geek
oot & aboot

After having a bad run of luck with the Pershing the last several days (either by making stupid mistakes myself... or (usually) getting stuck with a team that commits mass-suicide) I finally had a good round where I made the difference between us winning and losing. I think 3000 damage might be the most I've done with this particular tank in a round.

We were down by 3 on the beach map... I managed to get up in the middle behind the short wall by the ampitheater ruins and by keeping moving I had as many as 6 tanks focused on me at once - shooting the zero column, tieing up the two in the standard center camp spot for the south team - and then shooting the heavies working through town near the beach... keeping their attention tied up so my team could get their act back together and even killing a few of them. All of the kills were hard earned.

With all the slugging I've been doing in the IS-3 I forgot how fun a medium can be when you use it properly.. but it is a lot more work

Not bad for a non-premium tank!

I'm currently at 3 more wins than loses overall (1800 battles) - which the game considers 49% win rate (apparently they suck at the math )

The match maker really hurt over the holiday break.. I was 90+ wins up at one point last week... man I lost a lot of rounds
Old 12-31-2012, 11:21 AM   #4152
Geek
oot & aboot

Whining out loud:

I think the tracking system (XVM & such) should track where you finish each round in relation to the rest of your team - vs. the "team win vs loss" thing.

In the last 100 rounds where my team has lost.. I would estimate I'm in the top 3 on the team 95% of the time.

Woohoo! I'm one of the best losers!
Old 12-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #4153
janeuner
Get Some

Quote:
I'm currently at 3 more wins than loses overall (1800 battles) - which the game considers 49% win rate (apparently they suck at the math )
WR = Win# / ( Win# + Loss# + Draw# )

IIRC, ~2% of all matches end in a draw.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:59 PM   #4154
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Whining out loud:

I think the tracking system (XVM & such) should track where you finish each round in relation to the rest of your team - vs. the "team win vs loss" thing.

In the last 100 rounds where my team has lost.. I would estimate I'm in the top 3 on the team 95% of the time.

Woohoo! I'm one of the best losers!
I think it does - the Efficiency rating should, to some degree, show how effective each player is.

I have 1400 on my main account, and 1700 on my secondary, and would like both to be higher - but most certainly (by the higher-tiers) someone with less than 1000 effeciency is not someone you want on your team despite any win ratio they may have.

If what I've seen is correct, 44% WR is the borderline for mental defficiencies, 43% win ratio and below is sure retardation.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #4155
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,792
[IMG][/IMG]

classic amx game
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: