User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 385 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #4306
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,707
Thanks for the 'moot' point-out. I was typing was too fast here, lol.

Anyway, the guy I platooned with two mornings ago stated that it is common to have seven to eight minute wait times in cue with his top-tier arty now. I then told him that that was all fine for when he was alone, but to make MM work even harder for one of those, plus my and the other guy's tier 10's, to get matched wasn't cool.

Anyway, yeah, something is going on if he's waiting for that long as a solo player to get his arty into a random battle.

My concern was that the maps just don't seem to get much bigger (like, as in huge), so ... just what is the point of super-arty? Sure, they have great damage, but as a deterence the GWP is much quicker to react, load, and deliver. For the average Random battle where simple hits cause people to cower, as opposed to clan wars where they'd just keep rollng, the GWP does fine.

I'm not arguing to not go get a big one eventually (double negative, but I'm keeping it), but it may not be fun due to a number of factors.
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #4307
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
Currently, there are way too many folk with T7/T8 arty. This is happening way to often. Even with upcoming nerfs that is unlikely to change.
I think that one of the nerf's is just how many arty are in each game....those playing may sit in the load screen for a little bit.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #4308
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,721
I had a couple battles in the last couple months where we had 6 arty each side. With the M40/43 I usually get 2-4 each side. I'd be willing to wait at the loading screen a bit if they'd cap it to 2 per side.

Even withthe SU26 I've had 4-6 per side, but most of those were the tier 2 stuff. They died quickly and horribly
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #4309
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I'd be willing to wait at the loading screen a bit if they'd cap it to 2 per side.
Where can I register for this game you describe?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #4310
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,666
Look at what Wargaming.net is funding now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20925300
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #4311
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Look at what Wargaming.net is funding now...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20925300

This has been a pretty big story...with all the work just to get into berma....and yes I will still call it berma....the PM of england even went over to work on this.

As I understand it they are going to start digging this month....personally I think it will come out looking like that tulsa plymouth.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #4312
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,013
My Dad restored WW2 aircraft for a living and I grew up around them.

Basically if they find any pieces of the aircraft whatsoever, the project is a success. That gives them the right to say they "own that aircraft (or its serial number)" and then they can have it "restored" (i.e. a brand new aircraft built using that aircraft's credentials - so it is a real aircraft restored instead of a replica - even though not a single piece of the original aircraft was used).

Here's a P51B and an A36 that he was restoring when he passed away 2 years ago:

FWIW

p.s. I want part ownership in those planes - do you know how much money I've given Wargaming.net?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #4313
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Well ths is why The Super Persing plays better with a 7. Looks like the TOG should play a tier low also.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #4314
Geek
oot & aboot

Interesting that my Super Pershing and FCM50t are in that list of special matchmaking - but my T34 and my Lowe are not. I guess that explains why I run into a bunch more Tier X's with the T34!

I don't quite understand that Chart though. For example it says the Super Pershing and has the Tier 8 and Tier 9 boxes colored in.

I usually see Tier 6 through 8 tanks in battle with mine?
Same with my Tog - I usually see Tier 6 and below but the 6/7 boxes are colored in.
My Churchill III almost ALWAYS has me as top Tier (Tier 5) but that chart showes Tier 5 & 6
Old 01-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #4315
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Interesting that my Super Pershing and FCM50t are in that list of special matchmaking - but my T34 and my Lowe are not. I guess that explains why I run into a bunch more Tier X's with the T34!

I don't quite understand that Chart though. For example it says the Super Pershing and has the Tier 8 and Tier 9 boxes colored in.

Same with my Tog - I usually see Tier 6 and below but the 6/7 boxes are colored in.
My Churchill III almost ALWAYS has me as top Tier (Tier 5) but that chart showes Tier 5 & 6
The colored boxes are the "battle tiers" for that tank. "Battle tiers" are different than "vehicle tiers". If a tank can play in battle tiers 8 and 9, that means that it could face any other tank that can also play in those battle tiers.

So your Super Pershing will never face a tier 10, because tier 10s can never play in a battle tier 8 or 9. A tier 4 arty or light could end up in the same battle as your Super Pershing though, because they can play up to battle tier 8.
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #4316
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post

The chart is battle tiers, not tank tiers, it goes to 12.
I assume that's to provide more flexability in the overlap.

if you look at the top chart at what other ties run battle tier 8/9 you will see what other tiers you will be matched with.
Normal tier 8 tanks run battle tier 8/9/10 and can be matched with tier 4+ lights, 4+ arty, and 6-10 TD, Med, Hvy.

By knocking that 10 block off of the Super Pershing, it will never be matched with 10s unless you are platooned with tank tier 8+.
So when I was grinding for cash, I should have asked to platoon with 7, not 8. It would have put me near the top of every match and my platoon mates very close to the top.

Smithy and I verified this is the case.

Also, the Super Pershing can't run against tier 5 but a 7 can. I'm pretty sure the Super Pershing would keep the tier 5s out which would make for less of a spread in general. Need to verify this one.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #4317
janeuner
Get Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Also, the Super Pershing can't run against tier 5 but a 7 can. I'm pretty sure the Super Pershing would keep the tier 5s out which would make for less of a spread in general. Need to verify this one.
This is correct. No tank will be will be matched into a battle tier below it's range, but any tank can be pulled to a higher battle tier by a platoon.

The other half of the equation is matchmaking weight. There was an old trick, where you could put a pair of 152mm KV-1 tanks in a platoon with a IS-7. The 152mm was still surprisingly effective, and your team got an extra ~180 MM points, which would force the MM to give your team four extra T10 tanks. The MM is more sophisticated now (e.g. The total weight of the top tier vehicles on opposing teams cannot differ by more than 25%) but there are still some tricks that you can play....
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #4318
janeuner
Get Some

Free T2 Light Tank. Requires a Facebook account.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #4319
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
Free T2 Light Tank. Requires a Facebook account.
Thanks for the link. I was expecting it to be some sort of a scam or something, but it actually worked. I see some fun trolling in a T2 Light platoon in my future.
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #4320
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post
Thanks for the link. I was expecting it to be some sort of a scam or something, but it actually worked. I see some fun trolling in a T2 Light platoon in my future.
Why do you think it required facebook?
Nothing is free.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: