Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 335 votes, 4.96 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #4381
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Is it just me or does the Lowe break something with every farkin' hit? The majority of times I'm shot in the thing something breaks.

The round I just finished I just had a major screw up... I found myself too far forward and was observing a large group with lots of bushes between us when a light flew by and lit me up on radar.

The shells started coming in.

First hit: we lost a track
Second hit: the driver is dead
third hit: the radio man is dead
fourth hit: we lost a track (the other one)
fifth hit: the engine is hit
sixth hit: we're done for

not a single bounce.
Not a single "normal damage" without "taking something with it".

What a POS tank. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes I know I need to play it more like a TD - but it is a heavy tank after all. When I bought it I didn't know it was made of only the finest Bavarian crystal
Probably gotta play it as a long range sniper like most french tanks. They are also my first targets in my arty since I usually do 400-500 damage on a Lowe versus 200 on most everything else heavy.

I play my TD like a scout , but that's because I'm a tier 6 and get stuck in tier 10 battles frequently; at that point I just want to get it over with.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #4382
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,484
I don't know if you ever platoond with GenPatton and me, but he plays the Lowe really well. With his style, he is never ahead of the group, and not even with any main push in any direction.

Frustrating, at times, to not have one of your tier 8's with you in a tier 8 battle, but he's got the wins to prove it works.

I love shooting Lowe's in the side of the turret if they make the mistake to be up into the battle far enought that they have to turn their turret, or that I'm beside them in some way.

---

The only place I know to shoot a front-facing IS-7 is the lower glacis. Keep a bump in the terrain between you and whatever tank(s) you're fighting (while also not being up far enough that enemies are shooting your sides) and your IS-7 will last a long time.

I'm still disappointed that you didn't go for a BatChat, but to each their own. I think you'll do well in one when you get one.

To answer a question you asked that I didn't see - now with this many tier 10's in the game, I see some that are probably better for solo-player use in random battles. Different people will argue for different tanks, and to that end I see why you steered away from the BatChat for now. But for the speed with which things happen in the BatChat, the medium tank skills I saw you use suggest to me that you'd be a force to be reckoned with in a BatChat.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:12 AM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #4383
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,093
I tried to like the IS-8...but it truly is awful. The IS-3 could deflect some shots from the front, since it didn't always face tier 10 guns. The IS-8 always faces tier 10 guns, and it cannot repel that kind of firepower. I sold it long before I could afford the IS-7. Skip it if you can.

The IS-4 is a slightly better tank than the IS-7. Despite that, the IS-7 is a lot more fun to drive in pub matches. I own both. I wish they weren't so expensive to operate.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #4384
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
To answer a question you asked that I didn't see - now with this many tier 10's in the game, I see some that are probably better for solo-player use in random battles. Different people will argue for different tanks, and to that end I see why you steered away from the BatChat for now. But for the speed with which things happen in the BatChat, the medium tank skills I saw you use suggest to me that you'd be a force to be reckoned with in a BatChat.
After the IS7 I'll pursue something fast in Tier X; maybe a batchat.. maybe whatever the "new hot thing is" after 8.3 shakes things up?

As I mentioned.. when playing pub matches I find being in a tank that I can "lead the charge" with to have an impact on the overall chance of success. A big gun and lots of front armor (like my IS3 is in Tier 8 with the Tier 9 BL gun) works really well for me when I have nobody to count on.

When I play with someone who is really good like yourself, I prefer to jump in something fast and versatile like my Pershing so I can work in a nimble support roll.

The IS7 will be my "on my own pub battle Tier X".

After that.. it is time to start looking more at clan wars
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #4385
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I'll say it again - the IS-8 is the only tank in the current game that seems to mimic what the Chinese tanks will be bringing (that are so herladed). It is a medium tank with a larger tank's gun. Play it that way and it does really well. Hull-down and angled, I've killed multiple larger tanks that tried to get the final kill shot on me as the IS-8's armor bounced their rounds. Use it for its speed to get around engaged enemies.

It really isn't a bad tank, but it's a world away from a big dumb and heavy 'heavy' tank that people expect tier-9 heavies to be. It should be marked as a medium tank IMHO.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #4386
Geek
oot & aboot

...all that said.. I just had a rockin' round in my Pershing.
Maybe I should unlock the Patton instead
Old 01-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #4387
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
After the IS7 I'll pursue something fast in Tier X; maybe a batchat.. maybe whatever the "new hot thing is" after 8.3 shakes things up?

As I mentioned.. when playing pub matches I find being in a tank that I can "lead the charge" with to have an impact on the overall chance of success. A big gun and lots of front armor (like my IS3 is in Tier 8 with the Tier 9 BL gun) works really well for me when I have nobody to count on.

When I play with someone who is really good like yourself, I prefer to jump in something fast and versatile like my Pershing so I can work in a nimble support roll.

The IS7 will be my "on my own pub battle Tier X".

After that.. it is time to start looking more at clan wars
You and I agree on this - it takes what amounts to unspoken leadership in many public random battles to get a push goign that will work. I still call it leadership even if we aren't barking orders over team chat... after this many battles I've seen enough pub flanks hold back until I move up enough and push.

You and I also believe in taking as much territory initally as possible. Both of us have seen it in paintball matches, and it seems to work here with tanks, too.

So, yeah, the IS-7 seems like a good one. I'd really like to platoon with you and it when in my 110E5 for pub matches.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #4388
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
Last battle for a while in the LEE... who would have thought a wedding cake could get a steel wall?

Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #4389
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
Last battle for a while in the LEE... who would have thought a wedding cake could get a steel wall?
A wedding cake

To hell with those awards - the miracle is in that a Lee survived (and was allowed to survive by your teammates)
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #4390
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
A wedding cake

To hell with those awards - the miracle is in that a Lee survived (and was allowed to survive by your teammates)
yes well... it survived the battle and went to the scrap yard anyways... bring on the American Heavies with their barrel depression!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #4391
Geek
oot & aboot

Dave.. just because you said you have been riding to work all week and made me really jealous.. I played motohooky this afternoon and went for a rip on the 950. I needed the break from world of tanks cabin fever! It was 56 deg (13c) today but we will be back down to 19 deg (-7c) as a high on Saturday so I had to do it.

Every corner within a 10 mile radius of my place now has a stripe drawn through it.
I feel better

Old 01-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #4392
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Dave.. just because you said you have been riding to work all week and made me really jealous.. I played motohooky this afternoon and went for a rip on the 950. I needed the break from world of tanks cabin fever! It was 56 deg (13c) today but we will be back down to 19 deg (-7c) as a high on Saturday so I had to do it.

Every corner within a 10 mile radius of my place now has a stripe drawn through it.
I feel better
I already told you to not post that bike... do it again and I may have to fly over and steal borrow it (permanently) from you.

I'm riding to work again, but gone are the epic days of 40 miles each way through all the types of weather Florida can throw at me. You know my job now, so it hit me today that I'm SoTGATT (Some of The Gear, All The Time) in nicer shoes (or my cowboy boots), slacks, and a mesh jacket (in January no less - hottest winter we've ever had in the 10 years I've been here), helmet and gloves.

It's just busy and taxing riding in that it's all about not getting taken out by traffic, and it's only like 3.5 mile to work (my back is thanking me after 400 miles a week, every week, all on bikes). With the very thin slacks I'm wearing and shoes... I can't get too crazy because if I go down like that it's gonna be painful.

This is such tamed riding that, dare I say it, with dress slacks and shoes it deserves a scooter... not the DR650.

But then apparently the DR650 looks cool to the uninitiated here at work...

If you can remember that game"Frogger" ... that would be an apt analogy for what I'm doing here.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #4393
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

So, on Furgal's advice I put the 57mm 413 on my KV-1 to give it a try... goodness! 1.98 second reload, and the shells are pretty cheap.

first time out results.

plus, with the accuracy you can destroy their modules and take their crew out on que.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #4394
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,996
So I guess I should have logged into WOT and played last night huh, pickings existed to be had.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #4395
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
its amazing how much better i play with 15 fps vs. 6fps
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: