User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 348 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #4396
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,834
Its amazing how much better I play platooned with andrew and jarod ... after having my team fall apart around me all day solo... we just won several in a row.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #4397
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,167
Boy, lots of WoTtards on tonight, and I kept getting stuck with them........

Oh well, guess it was my turn in the barrel.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #4398
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,532
So we were talking about clan wars a little on the last page.

He's a somewhat typical layout of choices (primarily posted here just to give you guys an idea of tanks used*) in a screenshot I made after my group was told to push up a specific line... I was first there, so I made the initial crest over a hill - right to the entirety of their main force. Of course I didn't see anything but one IS-7, then my computer lagged from all the hits I took, and in the next second I was insta-dead. It says I received 5 hits, but if that's the case then I was ammo-racked. Anyway, we won my first clan battle in my 110E5:

Luckily I did get a few penetration shots on their now-dead E-100's before becoming my team's first destroyed tank. But then sometimes someone has to take one for the team - I was the first to spot a good many tanks back where I died.

* Keep in mind that it's the battle commander who typically chooses which tanks to bring, and we spend a bit before each battle while questions like "Ok, does any BatChat (currently chosen to fight) have a T-62?" are asked to have enough of each tank wanted when some guys have multiple choices, and some guys only have, say, a BatChat. What you see on my team are the exact tanks the commander wanted for the battle, and he had the clan's worth of people online to choose from. You may recall I wrote on the last page or so that, in my experience, one M-48 Patton is used just as an observation and well-camo'ed tank... you can see that choice on our team. Useful to know if you go for an M-48 as your only tier 10 and then don't get chosen because some clans only need one M-48, and they'll pick the one with the most player and crew skills. ... so if you want chosen for clan battles, own tanks more typically called for.

Most other clans do it the same way, but some very much lesser clans bring whatever tier 10's they have available.

The next step, with about 7 minutes to go before battle, is to go over a battle plan through a website or just by vocalization.

Lastly, it involves the commander clicking on the map for the team to see (during the count-down) and saying "E5's go here, then do this" and another click and "E-100's go here." This helps solidify the instructions if anyone misunderstood the initial plans.

Then, by some miracle, you get one of these (sometimes):

Geek, you may be happy to know that for their team the player with the highest score was driving an IS-7.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:43 PM Reason: loads of shit
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #4399
Geek
oot & aboot

I see a bunch of IS7's but no IS4's ?

...but I'm guessing there are probably lots of combinations.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 PM   #4400
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I see a bunch of IS7's but no IS4's ?

...but I'm guessing there are probably lots of combinations.

Like I wrote earlier, the is-4's are really great tanks that a lot of commanders look over because they tend to like extremes. If you're going to have speed, so be it, but if you're going to have armor... why not have E-100's or Maus play a defensive role (instead of an IS-4) since they have more hit points?

I can't say I agree with it, but the IS-4 is falling out of favor these days... not because of the IS-4, but because it's easier to accept either something even slower or something with speed to react to enemy movements.

I'm gonna have to recommend not buying an IS-4 for clan wars as of late... but then we all know I wrote that most clans avoid using the IS-7 for clan battles way back when... and now that's changed. Or so it seems... it could be that IS-7's are still used because they were one of the first tier 10's, and that many people still have them. E5's are recent, so maybe with some players who don't play much it's tougher to find enough of them to make groups out of?

Tanks for clan battles are fad-like to some degree. Current theory that doesn't pan out much is to be a super-awesome mobile team all with the newer medium tier 10's... but then certain enemy positioning with, or just the presence of, heavy tanks with loads more hitpoints to act as bullet-sponges tend to make super-duper-medium clan teams lose more than those clans expect them to.

I'm a proponent of more heavy tanks than mediums on a team. Maybe not all Maus or E-100's, but there is no replacement for displacement.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 08:58 PM
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #4401
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Something else to consider that you good fellows may not be aware of.

The Russian server has tank 'locking' where you can't use a tank you've already used for clan wars in some amount of time (that may be one day or three days... I can't remember). (this means for clan wars - you can still use them in pub matches)

There are clans and consortiums already planning ahead for the coming of the same on the American server.

That said, part of being accepted into a new clan, beyond your stats and how often you play, is how many tier 10 tanks, or 'end game' tanks (that would include end-game arty), a player currently owns.

Just be aware of that.

With this, there may be a whole new way of looking at many tier 10's, and many more will get accepted into clan battles. Once that happens, it may cause a noticeable swing in tank preferences for clan battles if, for example, we start seeing some clans being really successful with end-game tanks we don't typically see (like the 263, or the 110E3, or ?).

Just thought y'all should know, or might want to know.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 05:07 AM
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #4402
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,214
I never really got the entire clan wars thing, and that is most likely why I have so many mid tier tanks and did not just grind right up to tier 10 on some specific line.

As I understand it you play a series of battles, I think it would be intresting to have that series be broken up into tier groups, first battle tier 1-3 with x# of tanks on each team in each teir, then on and on.

As the format sits I really have little intrest in clan wars. I still play my tier 2-6 tanks more than my tier 8 stuff.....not because I lose money or whatever....silver is not the problem, they just do not seem as much fun to me. I am still going to grind my way up, I want a T54, and t62 as well as a few others, but I still have way more fun in my PzII or that new T2 over my pershing or tiger ii.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #4403
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I never really got the entire clan wars thing, and that is most likely why I have so many mid tier tanks and did not just grind right up to tier 10 on some specific line.

As I understand it you play a series of battles, I think it would be intresting to have that series be broken up into tier groups, first battle tier 1-3 with x# of tanks on each team in each teir, then on and on.

As the format sits I really have little intrest in clan wars. I still play my tier 2-6 tanks more than my tier 8 stuff.....not because I lose money or whatever....silver is not the problem, they just do not seem as much fun to me. I am still going to grind my way up, I want a T54, and t62 as well as a few others, but I still have way more fun in my PzII or that new T2 over my pershing or tiger ii.
I can't argue against different tiers for clan wars, but in the series of battles that are fought over one piece of land we fight different clans (sometimes... only if enough clans contest the same piece of land - but if only one clan contests the owners, then there is only one battle).

I'm not saying it is particularly interesting, but there is the comradery of a well-oiled team (in fact, the way good clans seem to organize it is to have the same 15 players, or as close to the same 15 as possible each night, play as a group - with an "A" team, a "B" team, is if a clan is lucky enough and active enough, a "C" team that can all play at the same time), and the gains of Gold that you don't have to pay for. There is prestige in winning, and I'd say there is even prestige in losing if your team played well enough against one of the better clans over the course of a week or three.

I'm not in it for anything but the Gold, and truth be told, I've left good gold-getting clans for reasons that were more important to me than the earning of gold. But once anyone plays this game enough... ANY variation and difference in challenges is a welcome respite. This is why, when the MM first started doing it and a lot of people were complaining, I was really liking the battles where we'd have ten top-tier arty per side and five tanks per side. As a tanker that gives me a whole new way to have to play and new things to do in order to win. vive la différence !

By the way... don't forget the Dakar race is on. I don't watch tv so I have no clue what is being broadcast, but I'm catching bits of it through YouTube.

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 06:53 AM
Old 01-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #4404
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,660
Musings on the M40/43. With my head being medicated due to picking up one of the more effective cold germs, I decided arty and TD's would be th enorm for a bit. ANyway, the 203mm hits hard.....when it hits. You get a choice between HE and HEAT rounds for standard rounds, thegold just splashes more. The HEAT rounds are around 400 silver cheaper. If I were to hit a tier 9-10 tank dead on with the HE I would get 500 -750 damage, but that happens very rarely. Maybe 1 out of 5 shots? BUT! If I hit em square with a HEAT round I will do 1000-1200 damage. I hit a 4502 that was charging the arty position in El Halluf, he was distracted by the medium that was protecting arty/base defense and as I saw him coming from the north/zero line I was rotated right to him. He stopped to shoot at the med, I fired, frontal pen for 1176 hit points. The medium got a shot into him to finish him off.

Shortly there after a Maus shot me from 500 or so meters away I'd like to know how that happens.

I watched a fella in an SU26 rack up 11 kills last night. Impressive to watch someone that knows how to play that thing.
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #4405
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post

Shortly there after a Maus shot me from 500 or so meters away I'd like to know how that happens.
You were lit by someone you didn't see?

I've had two very impressive kill shots recently at 520 meters and one approaching 550 to 600 from enemies being lit up that far away. What was impressive was that I was using the M4 Derp gun (and gold ammo, which is why they were kills).
Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM   #4406
Geek
oot & aboot

How can you tell how many meters are target is away?
Do each of the squares on the mini-map grid represent 100m or something?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #4407
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
You were lit by someone you didn't see?

I've had two very impressive kill shots recently at 520 meters and one approaching 550 to 600 from enemies being lit up that far away. What was impressive was that I was using the M4 Derp gun (and gold ammo, which is why they were kills).
That is how I like to play....way in the back. I have had 500+ meter shots and kills in my tier 3 TD's and tanks.

I don't like to get up and personal in this game....some maps, and IMHO too many maps force you to do this. I love the maps where you can make those long range shots. Many of my tanks have the optics mounted on them, then I move the binocs around....add that to recon and you can make some long range shots.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #4408
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,308
ok so this SU26 thing is frustrating. I like the turret idea. It's fairly mobile. But it just isn't doing damage 90% of the time
On tier 4/5 I'm getting typically 1-15hp damage on them, if it doesn't bounce. I'm using the 122mm gun so I thought it would be better
Old 01-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #4409
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
ok so this SU26 thing is frustrating. I like the turret idea. It's fairly mobile. But it just isn't doing damage 90% of the time
On tier 4/5 I'm getting typically 1-15hp damage on them, if it doesn't bounce. I'm using the 122mm gun so I thought it would be better
How's your crew?
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #4410
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post

use the other non-stock ammo.
And aim slight behind or at a back corner of the tank you're shooting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: