User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 532 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #5296
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,146
I was hoping to replace my PC (and letthe children use the current one) with my tax return this year. A cursory glance shows I hafta pay in
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #5297
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
Anyone have any advice for how to deal with biting off more than you can chew?.
More battles.

I think familiarity with the maps is a big part of it.

For example if you are going through the forest in Murkanova..

you get to know that you have to ASSUME there are multiple tanks at the water's edge on the knoll in the south... so when you see one that you can beat.. don't rush out assuming he is alone.

...and then there is familiarity with the tanks themselves... who you should engage and who you shouldn't based on your knowledge of your tank and their tank.

Some tips:

-Think about where it is on the map - is it a known strategic spot where multiple will be defending?

-Before moving in, take a moment and look who it is. If he's in a platoon assume his platoon mates are with him.

-If you have XVM - what's his percentage? If he's stronger than me but a 42% player with 2k battles I'm more likely to engage than if he's weaker than me and a 68% player with 22K battles.

-make the minimap bigger so you can keep track easier and watch the minimap and the other team's head count. If you see 3 tanks on the map and there are 14 alive - do you really think he is alone?

-Glance at the minimap constantly making mental notes of the apparent enemy flow. For example if your scout ran early and you saw a huge swarm on the other side of the map (or going up the hill) and you know you are light on your side you can play appropriately.

p.s. as someone else said; slow tanks help. If I have a round where I screw myself by going somewhere I shouldn't have waaaaay to early (unless it was a calculated risk I did on purpose to try and sway the battle); next round I'll make myself play something slow so I can get my timing back under control. And I'll put away the redbull

Hope this helps
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #5298
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,171
WoT related, and back to what some of us were talking about before...

Now if I keep my same hard drive and video card, but put in a new MB, chip and ram... will the XP operating system work enough, even if only in a basic mode, that the system should start up and allow me to connect to the internet to download the appropriate drivers?

This could be easier than I thought it might be... but then it could be a nightmare.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #5299
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,076
A slower tank will help, for some reason it didn't occur to me to use when when I'm having a bad run.

And janeuner's advice too. Last night I sort of stumbled on this by accident. I was slowly retreating back up the valley on Lakeside with arti behind me in cover, we took out a few of the enemy before I poked my nose out to far and got hit. By that time we were the only two left alive.

Geek, I copied your advice to my file, now to remember to read it occasionally

Thanks

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #5300
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,557
Grumble - my T95 and a GWPanther were the last two on my team up against a T34 at 6%, an E100, and two arty.

My Panther spotted the T34 - and my 95 BOUNCED a round! and then missed the next 3 shots!

Funny thing is, an E100 flanked on the other side, and I was able to take him out w/one shot....

Game ended in a draw...

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #5301
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
WoT related, and back to what some of us were talking about before...

Now if I keep my same hard drive and video card, but put in a new MB, chip and ram... will the XP operating system work enough, even if only in a basic mode, that the system should start up and allow me to connect to the internet to download the appropriate drivers?

This could be easier than I thought it might be... but then it could be a nightmare.
No.
You will blue screen.

The motherboard has many associated drivers that go along with it and make windows work. Items that are specific to the chipset/integrated peripherals/etc. New motherboard = Fresh install is a good rule of thumb. Backup all of your data as step 1 (duh )!

There are "rippers" that can generic the OS so that it is transportable; but experience has shown they are a huge PITA and that the registry never seems to end up where it needs to be. If you want to pursue this path maybe google "making XP portable" to start learning how it works. The basic process starts with stripping the OS back to its bare essentials removing all of the drivers that you can to get windows into a "generic mode" that should work with any board - and then putting the new required chipset/etc drivers into it during the bootup on the new motherboard. Again, backup before you start and be ready for lots of headaches (be sure you have a second computer sitting there online so you can go and grab that EIDE driver you forgot about, etc)

p.s. you'll probably find you need to end up calling microsoft to re-validate your windows because your XP's authentication process won't have the same serial number of the board/chip so it'll trigger the anti-piracy mechanism.

p.s.s. Good time to upgrade to Windows 7! (avoid windows 8 (and vista ) ).

Geek screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 09:13 AM
Old 02-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #5302
Geek
oot & aboot

Dave: I took a second and found you a basic step-by-step.

Keep in mind there WILL be variables that this does not cover - so be ready to do more than this says... some of which will require some figuring-out on your part:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/move-wind...reen-of-death/

As someone that has does this more times than I care to remember (including doing it with Acronis, etc) - my strong recommendation is take this opportunity to fresh install; preferably including upgrade to Windows 7.

Remember: Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014 - so a year from now your computer could be in big trouble (i.e. potential for 0 day exploits out the wazoo with no solution)

Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 AM   #5303
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by timk519 View Post
My Panther spotted the T34 - and my 95 BOUNCED a round! and then missed the next 3 shots!
I bounced 3 shots in a row from the BL-10 off a 3601 in one match last night.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM   #5304
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
you really got to wonder sometimes... that's one lucky 34!
Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM   #5305
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,171
Thanks Ed!

Yeah, I'll just save up more and go for buying Win 7 as well.

An attempt like that would be to buy a new hard drive, maybe solid state, and to hook up the WinXP hard drive to the system after everything is working to try to copy the personal files / pictures over while doing a fresh install of all main programs and games.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:46 AM   #5306
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
dell has a 660 inspiron desktop for $310 shipped

Processor: Intel Core 2nd Generation i3-2130 Processor(3MB Cache, 3.40GHz)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell Outlet Inspiron 660 Minitower
1TB Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, 7200rpm, SATA
6 GB DDR3 Memory (1X2G/1X4G), 1333MHz
16X DVD +/- RW Drive
Intel HD Integrated Graphics

from what I've read players are seeing fps 30-60 on this system
( i was seeing under 10 fps on the laptop)
That's a little better than my base PC which is Dell Studio ???.
It was totally playable at lower settings, and would likely be fine with the settings I run at now which is most of the stuff turned off but with high draw distance. I'd agree with the 30-60 fps reported.

I did eventually spend $100ish on a video card and I'd say it was worth it. Not required, but nice to have.

I replaced the power supply also.
Dell doesn't give you much more power than the system needs as shipped and they don't always have an extra power cord for the card if it needs one. Another $60 or so.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #5307
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
than the system needs as shipped and they don't always have an extra power cord for the card if it needs one. Another $60 or so.

....to the point these days where some of their entry level stuff (like the low model Vostros) comes with EVERY power lead in use. Not a single extra lead available (let alone a 6 or 8 pin to power a card)
Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #5308
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,146
I have Vista
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #5309
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
You posting this makes me wonder if there aren't some secret "relationships" between various guns and tanks.
I've bounced a BUNCH of BL10 shots off of various VKs in various matches.

The culmination was on Erlemberg in B2. There was a VK and a T34 sitting side by side facing me. I shoot the VK in the turret - nothing... I shoot the T34 (in the turret) and take 700 out and he dies. I turn back and shoot the VK in the lower belly head on.. nothing and then he turns to run away and I shoot him broadside and nothing.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #5310
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
I have Vista
So do I. It works fine. It just isn't one of their better versions.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: