Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 387 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #5386
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
I did not say that you don't know how to play arty.

Any good arty player can swing the tide in a game. So can any good tank or td player. And while they're completely different play styles, weaknesses, strengths, etc., all good players tanks/tds/arty are equally likely to end up in an "I played my ass off and got 6 kills, but my team just collapsed around me" situation.

Regardless of anyone's like or dislike for arty, the game is most fun with a balanced and diversified set of vehicles. In general, no one platform of vehicle is "overpowered" compared to the others, they just fill different roles. The problems don't stem from one platform of vehicle being "overpowered". The "problem" is that games that are overloaded with one type of vehicle (be it heavies, mediums, tds, or arty) are boring. Balanced arrays of different vehicles make the game much more challenging and interesting because you have to apply your knowledge of all the vehicle platforms rather than just one.

When I hear someone say that they hate arty (or they hate lights, or they hate {fill in the blank}), that translates instantly as "I'm a newb who doesn't know how to play that style of tank and consequentially, I don't have the knowledge to effectively counter that style of tank." I think the same thing about people who yell out "Yay, no arty!", unless they're in an open top td. For the record, I hate light tanks!

When I hear someone complain that there are too many arty in a match or that there are too many of {whatever} platform in the match, I think "Well damn, that had to be a boring match. That sucks."

I feel that arty nerfs are bs, but that having a diverse set of vehicle platforms makes the game much more fun, so caps on the number of arty are a good idea.
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 AM   #5387
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Never said you did, but in general chat it always comes up if you knew how to play arty you would know how to avoid them.

And I do play less and less, I played off and on for the three days I was home with the flu, but this week perhaps a dozen or so games all played......if more people do the same the game will die or they will change it...no biggie to me.

I tend to wonder if those that run the game are listening to the "customers" with the last arty nerf, that was an easy thing to change in the code and perhaps a bone to those that "hate arty". Changing the spotting or how accurate the arty is would be a bit of a chore.

But in reading on the forums about the last arty change....now that was funny. People think those that gripe about arty are cry babies....listen to those that play arty and anything that may take the HUGE advantage away from them...boy then the bitchfest really starts.

But bottom line is I just play the game a bit before bed, Parts for the VW are coming in, and high power is right around the corner......

I would think if they see a massive dropoff in players and lots of bitching this weekend things will change....this could be a test, the people that made up this game...they are not stupid.

Quote:
I did not say that you don't know how to play arty.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #5388
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I would be awful for this. I'd grab the two best dudes I could find and troll the shit out of the enemy teams. Politely

Sheriff (All) > I'll be in C4, behind the rock. Sorry arty!
I told them I liked seeing a Sheriff carry a dumb team to a win, and the Sheriff not dying. They liked that, too, but were politely critical (to we in TS) of when they saw random pub teams not covering routes and otherwise trying to lose winnable games.

---

The other "news" or "rumor" I heard was that to counter XVM, War Gaming may introduce Fog-Of-War like as in clan battles. Someone piped up that this would greatly aid TD's in doing their thing since the OPFOR wouldn't initially know if there were any TD's on the opposing side.

I don't mind it. I do use XVM to judge my play style based on my own team as much as I use it to judge movements and aggressiveness of the opposing team's players. It would be nice if XVM updates as each tank is found, but this isn't the worst thing that could happen.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #5389
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Never said you did, but in general chat it always comes up if you knew how to play arty you would know how to avoid them.

And I do play less and less, I played off and on for the three days I was home with the flu, but this week perhaps a dozen or so games all played......if more people do the same the game will die or they will change it...no biggie to me.

I tend to wonder if those that run the game are listening to the "customers" with the last arty nerf, that was an easy thing to change in the code and perhaps a bone to those that "hate arty". Changing the spotting or how accurate the arty is would be a bit of a chore.

But in reading on the forums about the last arty change....now that was funny. People think those that gripe about arty are cry babies....listen to those that play arty and anything that may take the HUGE advantage away from them...boy then the bitchfest really starts.

I would think if they see a massive dropoff in players and lots of bitching this weekend things will change....this could be a test, the people that made up this game...they are not stupid.
Well, if you think reading forum rants/gripes and playing less will help you with you game play.... who am I to tell you otherwise?
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #5390
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Well, if you think reading forum rants/gripes and playing less will help you with you game play.... who am I to tell you otherwise?

No I think that reading the forum gives you a general insight to some of the players attitude to different units playing the game.

Do you think that those that wright the game make these changes just because.....or do you think the read what many different people say on a given topic then think.....hmm quite a few people don't like this....it might be good if we changed it.....no could not be.

Fucking stupid

This "game" is big business, and like any business they want it to grow....if enough people say it is not fun anymore because of this or that, I bet they change it.....and this is where nerf's and buffs come from.......

no that could not be it they do it for the fuck of it.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #5391
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Ed and I had a pretty fun battle a little while ago. I showed a T30 that he wasn't the biggest tank on the battlefield.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 AM   #5392
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Well, if you think being a smartass to others on the forum will help you with anything... who am I to tell you otherwise? But seriously, you don't need to be disrespectful to our clan mates and forum members. It doesn't help anything out.

frecks screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 12:38 PM
Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #5393
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,234
I think they make changes just because. Look at it this way, if you ignore what the players want and the balancing of it, then you can make whatever arbitrary changes... The game is not there for the fun of it, nor to make you spend money, hell they don't want your money they would rather go broke than have any fans...

now can we stop quibbling about stuff that we have no control over in this thread or forum? go blow something up!

Big Bird 928 screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 11:54 AM
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #5394
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,214
Holy crap.........

Old 02-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #5395
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

For those looking to replace the life remaining with damage dealt on your after battle reports, there are some links and info here.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.p...k-for-083/#top

Skid I think you were the one who sent me the link originally, but I can't find it now, if you have a better location for it post it up.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #5396
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

To paraphrase from a post on this thread: "Removing arty sounds about as absurd as if the rocks in rock-paper-scissors start to demand that they remove paper for ruining the game ;)"
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #5397
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird 928 View Post
For those looking to replace the life remaining with damage dealt on your after battle reports, there are some links and info here.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.p...k-for-083/#top

Skid I think you were the one who sent me the link originally, but I can't find it now, if you have a better location for it post it up.
I got it from frecks.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #5398
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Wow, that buck is getting passed!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #5399
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
No I think that reading the forum gives you a general insight to some of the players attitude to different units playing the game.

Do you think that those that wright the game make these changes just because.....or do you think the read what many different people say on a given topic then think.....hmm quite a few people don't like this....it might be good if we changed it.....no could not be.

Fucking stupid

This "game" is big business, and like any business they want it to grow....if enough people say it is not fun anymore because of this or that, I bet they change it.....and this is where nerf's and buffs come from.......

no that could not be it they do it for the fuck of it.
I don't think about who writes the program in the game nor what the game forum's general consent is; the game of warfare is the same through centries.
Unless you know your enemy as well as you know yourself. you are likely to be defeated.
If you have never played arty to claim fair amount of experience; your complaint about arty in the game is simply ignorance, lack of knowledge of your enemy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frecks View Post
Well, if you think being a smartass to others on the forum will help you with anything... who am I to tell you otherwise?

Yes, I am fully aware of the hypocritical nature of this post.
What gave you the idea that I am here for help?

You want to win in battles, come platoon with me.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #5400
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
I play with and like arty - but I will say it is often frustrating. Lots of hits, with very low damage.

Lots of near misses. Occasionally you get the one shot kill, but seldom.

And lots of maps you will sit for 10 minutes with people visible, but no shots because they're so hard up on rocks.

But I have a solution that would make arty both more interesting, more useful, and more mentally stimulating for all parties.

1st - Real arty has ranges of miles, give all arty full map range in all maps, with all guns.

2nd - Change visibility. Currently if your teammates see em, and are in radio range you see them. Change this so that you see them only if targeted or if you would see them in a regular tank. The overhead targeting mode would be similar but your teammates would HAVE to use "T" in order to get the advantage of arty. I could accept just calling attention to the map zone that the tank is in.

3rd - trajectory aiming. Currently when you are arty mode you hover over the enemy until the circle falls on the target and wait for the zone to decrease, if the line of fire turns red, there is an obstacle, wait for the player to move or choose another target. - Instead there should be the ability to "load" shells of different gunpowder charge, a high velocity, medium, and low velocity. Such that a high velocity shell can be launched at a higher angle, and land at the target. Make the player choose (1-2-3) their load (more options if there are different types of shells). This will make the tank reload (for however long it takes).

4th - with the ability to shoot a high trajectory shot or low trajectory shot, make the user angle the gun manually. The gun will point to the target, but make them dial up/down the angle when in this aiming mode to choose where the shell will land.

5th - with high trajectory shots with the high velocity round, increase time to target for the shell. Currently no shell is that long flight time. I want the high trajectory shells to take a long time to land, but be able to drop onto tanks.

6th - with long flight of shot - include that incoming shell noise so tanks can flee when they hear it.

How this will improve the gameplay. Arty can still have powerful guns that penetrate. The shells will take awhile to land, changing shell types for shots will increase the amount of gun loading occuring to switch targets. Arty players will have to learn how to play with manual gun elevation. Arty will be more useful, but will require teammates. Arty won't steal kills if you don't call for shots. Arty will be able to hide more fully while still being useful for the team. A number of maps you cannot go in interesting spots because the rock will block all but very long range shots. Instead you load lower velocity shells and shoot high trajectory. And finally the arty experience will be more like it should be, shot is called in, arty takes shot - boom - high accuracy on target.

Lights will be hard to hit while in motion, that heavy or TD hiding behind a rock in the corner and never moving... eventually will get nailed.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: