Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 542 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #5476
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
I was never a huge fan of the su-100, I love my 85 and have it in my keep pile...do you guys have tanks you will never sell...I have a few.
I guess I'm the strange character that prefers the SU-100. Both are excellent.

I used to have keepers. I got lucky with my absolute favorite tanks being replaceable with premium equivalents:
T-34, replaced by the premium A-32 when WoT launched.
M4A3E8, now the M4A2E4.
SU-100, to be replaced by the SU-122-44 soon after the next gold sale.

I have also purchased the KV-1S three times since launch, only to be sold when I needed credits or the garage slot for one reason or another. It will be back in the garage when the next sale comes along.

Will soon repurchase the Brit Matilda as well. That thing is excellent. I tried the Matilda BP - it just isn't the same.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #5477
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,413
the Matilda BP is a good tank, just placed one tier to high I believe, but I know what you are saying about the regular Matilda... I think that it is very under-estimated by others, and as such gets ignored quite a bit by the heavies in a tier V battle. I had one battle that I lived through with it that it took 37 hits and still had about half life left.
Big Bird 928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #5478
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
I guess I'm the strange character that prefers the SU-100. Both are excellent.
I preferred the Su-85 before it lost the 107mm. Now, I would go back and run the Su-100 in a heartbeat. The only reason that I'm considering starting the new crew on the 85 is that I think Tier 5 is a little more forgiving for a brand new crew.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #5479
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
Quote:
I was never a huge fan of the su-100, I love my 85 and have it in my keep pile...do you guys have tanks you will never sell...I have a few.
If I had to choose 5 from my garage that I like playing the most it would currently be:

IS-3
T34 (just because it makes so much $$$).
Hellcat
ISU-152
SU-122-44

...I like playing the IS-7 but I find Tier X stressful still.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #5480
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,342
A little example on spotting mechanics. Not a particularly good battle, but I was effective so I share.

Notice 0.28km traveled. I made cover for myself by felling trees. I then parked. I took pot-shots when I was confident I wasn't being observed.

I was the spotter for the IS-3, a Tiger P, and KV-1S kills. When they were in my field of view, I didn't fire a shot. I held fire because they were about 350m distant, and the loss of the bush cover would have revealed my position.

I was also revealed by the enemy Chaffee at one point. All I had to do was roll backwards and wait. The Chaffee soon revealed itself while switching positions; after he was killed, I was able to retake my position without interference.

And the replay:

I almost got killed by a retarded teammate, I made one big mistake, and one small mistake.

The retarded teammate was the Churchill VII. He rolled up behind me, using me for cover while engaging the enemy IS-3. I was not revealed by his action, but I was taking glancing shots because of shell trajectory. This cost almost half of my HP.

The big mistake: I let the Chaffee shoot me twice. I thought he was spotting a teammate that was passing behind me when the first hit occurrred, so I didn't move. The second hit set me to action, and that delay should have killed me. It would have cost me nothing to back away from the bush.

The small mistake: I scolded the Churchill VII, then moved. I should have moved first, then cussed at him.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #5481
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,632
Quote:
Yea I have had the 152 unlocked for quite some time now....just waiting on the sale...now I will buy.

Tiger
Tiger II
Sherman
SU-85
Pz IV
Panther
Matilda (british one).....I just love that tank....gun will penn darn near everything.

So far I am liking the Ferdi, but still too new on it.
I'll never sell my ELC AMX; it's just too fun to zoom around in.
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #5482
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
janeuner, thanks for the links and for describing your hide methods.

Here's another gun question. Should I be more concerned with the damage numbers or penetration numbers?
Some of the guns available on the German mediums have wildly different damage vs. pen. numbers.
I've been going for the most penentration I can get, I wonder if I'm thinking backwards and should go for the bigger damage number.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #5483
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post

Here's another gun question. Should I be more concerned with the damage numbers or penetration numbers?
Some of the guns available on the German mediums have wildly different damage vs. pen. numbers.
I've been going for the most penentration I can get, I wonder if I'm thinking backwards and should go for the bigger damage number.
To me that depends on what tanks you are seeing with the gun. There are guns out there with very high damage numbers with little penitration (HE cannons) that normally only work well with the gold rounds agains highly armored vehicles. I would also look at your play style and see if you want a gun that reloads quickly or takes 12+ secconds, to me I like the longer reload on some tanks as you can duck back behind cover and potentially take less damage.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #5484
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

I tend to favor higher pen guns, but I usually play more of a sniper support role and penetration potential becomes much more critical as range increases. In my experience, I get equal or better results with higher pen, lower fire rate guns because they bounce less.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #5485
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,189
Quote:

There is one German gun that is really meant to be played with Gold rounds only, but it's only on the 3601 that I know of.

I value pen over damage, and keeping a big distance between what I'm firing at and me with most German tanks. No pen means no damage... no matter how big the damage number could be.

Quote:
I as going to say, get the engine. More speed is better, get to the fight sooner.

I have to agree with Dave's point though, more damage dealt earns you more XP.
LOL, weren't you the guy who was complaining about dying too early? Speed is the last thing many tankers need.

---------

While I subscribe to taking as much map territory as initially possible, lately it's hit me that it doesn't matter how far up the fights happen, what matters is that - where-ever they happen - the force that took or is holding that route is together, and working together, when the shooting starts. Battles can be won from not very far from your own base/spawn if everyone only goes that far (for what-ever reason) and sticks together.

Of course it's always nice to get so close to their arty on some maps that their arty can't hit you well, too.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 02-11-2013 at 05:01 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5486
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
There is one German gun that is really meant to be played with Gold rounds only, but it's only on the 3601 that I know of.

I would add the HE cannon on the Hetzer to that, I think it is the best gun available for that tank, and if you are in a Tier IV battle it is king as far as I am concerned. That cannon is also mountable on (I think) the two following TD's in the line, though it is less effective as you go up in Tiers.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #5487
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
I had a bunch of crappy solo rounds today so I hoped into TS and teamed up with Brian and Jarod.

We had a bunch of good rounds - the 3 of us determining the battle's out come over and over - 7 and 8 kills each round for FYYFF.

The 3 of us fought this corner against 6 or 7 enemy and killed them all - including a 60% FORGE guy (whom I got the last shot on )

I should have screen cap'd every round - because one round Brian would have 4 or 5 kills.. the next one Jarod... the next one myself.

Good teamwork

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #5488
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

I was wondering when the ISU's got turrets!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #5489
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
LOL, weren't you the guy who was complaining about dying too early? Speed is the last thing many tankers need.
Yes, that is me.

That's why I appreciated your comment, and have been rethinking the setup on my tanks.

In conjunction with my earlier question on guns, I realized I haven't evaluated each gun with the different rounds. I haven't used gold rounds, I doubt if I will. I do need to look at the damage and pen numbers with the rounds I use in mind.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #5490
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

And then Ed left, and Dave, Jarrod and I fired a platoon up.....and had a few results like this.....

....and then they helped me get this.....

Thanks guys.

Edit: I pulled up my current stats this morning.....

To all of you guys that have been platooning with me, THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! I couldn't get stats like this alone.

MN_Smurf screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 05:13 AM
MN_Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: