Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 542 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #5836
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Are we done with the camo lessons? I was looking forward to more of them.
...as I wrote the next section I realized I wasn't making it any easier that the wiki.. so I decided my time could better be spent elsewhere.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #5837
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,746
Oh I have no insight. Just my personal experience with getting picked off while sitting still waiting for something to cross my view port .It seems a vast number of the other TD's have 2-5 times the camo that the T30 does.

Plus the fact that there are plenty of urban maps where there is too much moving around, I decided to try something different.
So far I can't say it's hurt me any.

I am going to try another combo or two.

vwboomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #5838
vwboomer
Buffoon

yeah I just us MSPaint. I haven't got another editor, and sometimes forget to select crop.

The problem with this game is there is so much going on as far as variables, bonuses, detractors etc for every little aspect of the game. Of course that's also one of the cool things about it. but I think the average jackass (me) gets sick of trying to find all the best ways to do stuff.

I wish when I started out I knew about transferring crews, researching but not buying tanks, etc. But I just wanted to play

Old 02-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #5839
frecks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
Are we done with the camo lessons? I was looking forward to more of them.

This discussion with vwboomer has me wondering if WG has ever thought about programming to alter camo values based on how much of the tank could be seen?

Let's say that I really am hull-mother-fucking-down in some awesome hidey-hole, and only the turret of my T30 could be seen at all, but even it (with the rest of me) is behind some really nicely placed bush that boosts my camo.

It would seem to me that the part that could be exposed - just my turret - would be as small as some much smaller tanks in the game. It is, therefore, unfair if the camo value of my entire tier 9 tank stays the same when over half of it is hidden by terrain, and the other third is low and behind a bush.

I bet they haven't addressed this issue at all, but it should be in the game.
I would be willing to bet they have thought of it, and agree that it would be great to have in the game. But their developers can probably earn them a lot more money by focusing on other things, so I doubt it's anywhere on the priority list.
frecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 AM   #5840
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,342
Camo Tip of the Week!

When it comes to passive scouting, not many folk know there are actually two figures: View Range, and Spotting Range.

View Range is a function of you; your vehicle, your crew, your equipment, and your position relative to various vision-impairing obstacles. There is no hard cap for View Range. The maximum attainable view range is 600m in an M48 Patton with max crew, Bia, Recon, Situational Awareness, Vents, Binocs, and the Coca Cola consumable. A more realistic 510m view range is attained with a typical T10 vehicle with vents, max crew, and binocs.

However, a hard cap - 435m - does exist for for Spotting Range. This is a server-side limit, and primarily exists to prevent CPU overload by attempting to calculate spotting for all 30 tanks on the field (algorithm would run 870 times per spotting interval, each time searching terrain between each pair of vehicles, looking for cover). But, without cover, Spotting Range is the spotter's View Range, less the target's moving camo factor, which is easy to do in your head. A moving medium has a camo factor <0.10, a moving heavy's factor is <0.05, and a moving light is <0.20 (general rule of thumb).

So, spotting from our sample T10 heavy, and negating intervening obstacles, we will see:
Heavy Spotting Range = MIN(View Range * (1 - 0.05), 435) = 435m
Medium Spotting Range= MIN(View Range * (1 - 0.10), 435) = 435m
Light Spotting Range= MIN(View Range * (1 - 0.20), 435) = 408m

Note that when the vehicle stops moving, it's camo factor will generally increase by a vehicle class (heavy becomes medium, medium becomes light, light remains squishy)

So there ya go. Spotting Range, and View Range. Two different things.

Edit: Oops, cap is 435m, not 465m.

janeuner screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 10:17 AM
janeuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #5841
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
...as I wrote the next section I realized I wasn't making it any easier that the wiki.. so I decided my time could better be spent elsewhere.

Yeah, but I'd read what you wrote.

I am too lazy, and not enough of a geek, to read the wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeuner View Post
Camo Tip of the Week!

So there ya go. Spotting Range, and View Range. Two different things.
Good stuff - I had that part down, but thank you for writing it. It all helps to reinforce the use of cover.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #5842
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
yeah I just us MSPaint. I haven't got another editor, and sometimes forget to select crop.

The problem with this game is there is so much going on as far as variables, bonuses, detractors etc for every little aspect of the game. Of course that's also one of the cool things about it. but I think the average jackass (me) gets sick of trying to find all the best ways to do stuff.

I wish when I started out I knew about transferring crews, researching but not buying tanks, etc. But I just wanted to play
If you are using windows 7 ... hit the START button and type "snip" and hit ENTER

This will bring up the snipping tool that'll allow you to capture a part of the screen quickly and easily and save it as a JPG

Hope this helps
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #5843
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,151
I'm thinking SU100M1 as I like to shoot more.

Now, Intel or AMD? Looks like I have the go-ahead to purchase a new PC, but I figure I'm capped at $700.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:20 AM   #5844
janeuner
Get Some

Oddometer: 1,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
Now, Intel or AMD?
Probably AMD. You'll need the price differential when you are shopping for a video card.

Yeah yeah, Intel is better. Victory is better than Harley. Whatever. They both work fine.

Here is a permanent link to Newegg's most current promotion codes:
http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail...landing-T.aspx
Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #5845
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
If you are using windows 7 ... hit the START button and type "snip" and hit ENTER

This will bring up the snipping tool that'll allow you to capture a part of the screen quickly and easily and save it as a JPG

Hope this helps
ahhhh cool.

I think I'm going to sell the SU26. Doesn't hit, doesn't hit hard. slow.
Remember when these used to be fun?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #5846
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,439
Quote:
Now, Intel or AMD? Looks like I have the go-ahead to purchase a new PC, but I figure I'm capped at $700.
If you can do your own assembly and don't need to replace your monitor, you can build a pretty good machine for $700....
Old 02-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #5847
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 13,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
If you can do your own assembly and don't need to replace your monitor, you can build a pretty good machine for $700....
I just need the box, assembled with OS. I have a decent monitor. I'm kind of a dumbass when it comes to electronics. I've been eyeballing barebones kits, but I don't trust myself to put it together correctly, and then make the stupid thing work.

I could ask all of Shiny Things, but that would probably start more arguments than an oil thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwboomer View Post
I think I'm going to sell the SU26. Doesn't hit, doesn't hit hard. slow.
Remember when these used to be fun?
Sold mine and bought the French Premium arty on sale. Makes coin every battle and I only have an 80% crew.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #5848
MN_Smurf
Capt_Confusion

Oddometer: 2,439
If I lived closer, I'd be happy to do the assembly for you....but I don't live closer. It's really not that hard to do. Computers go together like Lego sets, kind of.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #5849
vwboomer
Buffoon

Quote:
I just need the box, assembled with OS. I have a decent monitor. I'm kind of a dumbass when it comes to electronics. I've been eyeballing barebones kits, but I don't trust myself to put it together correctly, and then make the stupid thing work.

I could ask all of Shiny Things, but that would probably start more arguments than an oil thread

Sold mine and bought the French Premium arty on sale. Makes coin every battle and I only have an 80% crew.

no seriously it's super easy. plug n play. I've built a couple. way back. memories in memory slots, vid card in vid slot. plug in 10 fans and a cpu and yer good! mostly.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #5850
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
The current spotting system costs 30% of the server resources needed for a battle so making it more complicated is likely not feasible.

Spotting Mechanics tidbit from WIKI.
----------------------------------
To determine whether you have line of sight to a vehicle within your spotting range and will thus spot it, the server calculates a virtual vision ray extending from one of two view range ports on your vehicle to each of the six visibility checkpoints of the target vehicle.

If a vision ray is obstructed by non-transparent objects like houses, terrain, or even just a lamp post, this ray ends there and does not reach the target vehicle. Important to know is that both the vehicle being spotted as well as other vehicles from other players are fully transparent as far as spotting mechanics go.

If no vision rays reach their target, you will not spot it. But if at least one of the six vision rays reaches the target, you will spot the vehicle and it will light up if it was previously hidden. At this point it makes no difference if any of the other visions rays would reach their target as well because.
----------------------------------

The viewports are one on the top of your tank, and one where the gun meets the turret.

The visibility checkpoints are centered on each side of the hull, the sides of the turret, and the 2 viewports.

Knowing this, if you limit the number of visibility checkpoints by hiding them behind something solid(a hill in hull down position), they would theoretically have a harder time spotting you since at least 4 of them are hidden.
No idea if this is the case.
SkidMarx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: