User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 73 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #6886
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,637
Total bone head move today. I set cruise control while the game was counting down. Got distracted while waiting and didn't notice the game started. So my tank drove itself right into some concrete anti tank wall and got hung up. I spent the entire game trying to get unstuck. Another player saw and I swear pulled up behind me and moved his turret like he was shaking his head like "What an idiot". He did try to help get me free.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #6887
Bodwick
Odd Bod

Oddometer: 1,139
Jim Fraser R.I.P.

An obituary that I thought would be of interest to AdvTankers...

Jim Fraser, who has died aged 92, won a Military Medal in North Africa and, as his personal tank driver, was responsible for General Montgomery adopting the beret that became so associated with him.

In November 1941 Fraser, serving with 8th Battalion Royal Tank Regiment (8 RTR), took part in the battle of Sidi Rezegh, part of “Crusader”, the operation to raise the siege of Tobruk. On November 23, during an attack on an airfield, he saw a German 75mm gun coming straight towards him through clouds of smoke as he rounded a corner.

As he hauled on the steering sticks of his Valentine tank, the gun opened up with armour-piercing shells. The first caught the tank a glancing blow on the side. The next one went straight through the back of the tank into the engine but failed to explode.

With fighting going on all around them, the crew could not bail out of the crippled tank and were forced to spend the night inside. Fraser emerged at daybreak to a scene of burning tanks and dead bodies. His commander, standing on the turret with his binoculars, was then hit, and much of his knee was sliced off. A tourniquet was applied, but it was a makeshift job, and Fraser set off across the desert to find help.

He was lucky to find a dugout manned by British soldiers, some of whom he led back to his tank. The injured officer was taken off by field ambulance. The citation for the award of Fraser’s MM said that he had undertaken the rescue under heavy shell fire – despite strict orders not to do so because there was no way of knowing who was in possession of the ground that he would have to cross.

James Marshall Ralston Fraser was born in Glasgow on September 17 1920. His family moved to Colchester when he was 12, and he attended the Blue Coat School until he was 14. In 1937 he enlisted in the Royal Armoured Corps, and was posted to the Royal Tank Regiment.

Fraser was wounded three times during the war, and had just rejoined his regiment after a spell in hospital when Montgomery took command of the Eighth Army. Monty had a specially modified command tank, and Fraser was selected as his driver.
On the first occasion that he drove Monty, the general was wearing a large Australian bush hat. The wind blew it off, and Fraser — who had to stop the tank while it was being retrieved — shoved his own beret up into the turret and muttered to the ADC: “Tell the General to wear this and maybe we will get there a bit quicker.”

Montgomery wore Fraser’s beret — which is now in the Bovington Tank Museum — until he acquired one of his own which had both a general’s badge and a Royal Tank Corps badge. On his rounds of inspection in the desert, Monty would often tell Fraser to stop the tank (affectionately known as “Monty’s Charger”) so he could talk to the soldiers. They were astonished that an officer of such exalted rank would take the trouble to do so and thus the Monty legend grew.

Fraser served in India and Korea before retiring from the Army in 1959 as a Warrant Officer Class 2. He became a postman, served on the executive committee of the Union of Post Office Workers and subsequently held the office of national chairman. He was also a Labour borough councillor for Colchester, an Essex county councillor and a magistrate.

As a young man, he played rugby and football for the Combined Services. In 1956 he was awarded the BEM .

After finally retiring and settling in Colchester, he made regular tours to commemorate the anniversaries of the battles fought in Egypt and Libya.
Jim Fraser married, in 1944, Margaret Agnes Storey. She predeceased him, and he is survived by their son and two daughters.

Jim Fraser, born September 17 1920, died March 21 2013

Fraser (with the goggles) and Montgomery (right) in the desert

Telegraph
Bodwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #6888
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,833
Thank you for that, Bodwick.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #6889
AKjeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
Anybody else's ADD rear up in this game?

I like playing mediums and I like the German tanks, I figured I'd go up the German medium line.
Well, I have room in the garage, and credits burning a hole in my pocket, lets play the German lights up too.
Sounds like a plan.

So how did a Sherman end up in my garage?

Someone posted about the T29, which I've wanted. I love the lines. I check my American Tech Tree and notice I have enough xp to skip the M3 Lee and get into a Sherman. Nice, that was one of my goals quite a while back.

I'm enjoying the Sherman, and didn't like the Tiger I briefly played. Maybe I'll just build a collection of tier 5 and 6 mediums.

AKjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #6890
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
YES.
I was doing great with the original US Med line. I was working my way up it nicely. No distractions. then...
OH LOOK... a US TD line branching off if the Med line. I'll just give that a try...
...OH LOOK another...And they have turrets...
Wait... WHAT... A light line... and I'm halfway through it in my M7... Better try that.

Then you yahoos talk about what a beast the KV-1S is. Better try that...

It least I made it all the way up the Med line. Now I'm totally directionless.
NOMADS
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #6891
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
YES.
I was doing great with the original US Med line. I was working my way up it nicely. No distractions. then...
OH LOOK... a US TD line branching off if the Med line. I'll just give that a try...
...OH LOOK another...And they have turrets...
Wait... WHAT... A light line... and I'm halfway through it in my M7... Better try that.

Then you yahoos talk about what a beast the KV-1S is. Better try that...

It least I made it all the way up the Med line. Now I'm totally directionless.
Welcome to the club.

At the moment I have far, far too many lines going.

I'm at tier 8 french heavy

Tier 7 French medium

Tier 8 German Heavy

Tier 8 German ... other Heavy

Tier 8 German TD

Tier 7 German arty (which I will not buy since I give up on arty due to watching piss-poor teams lose it)

Tier 10 Heavy 'merican

Tier 10 Turreted 'merican

Tier 9 'merican Medium

Tier 6 American light/medium line

oh jesus... this list could go on forever...

Add to that equivalent Soviet tanks, two lines of British tanks, and maybe I did the Chinese there for a little bit...

What am I working on? Nothing, really.

What will be, will be, and whatever I get researched next will wait like everything else that is researched but not bought - to be judged on a case-by-case basis.

I have three tier tens, and a fourth researched that I won't buy, so I'm not quite feeling the pressure I'm sure many who aren't in clan wars feel yet. It took me forever to get to this point with my liassez faire approach, but the next to crest may be the M48 Patton which, up until yesterday, I didn't want.

But then the call was out for someone with ultra camo skills (like I like to train) and an M48 for clan wars... this sounds like I may be needed. Edit: dang, four crew members on my M46 have camo to 100%, but the commander doesn't have camo at all... well, looks like I'll get him some camo before hitting the M48 with another 100,000 XP to go to research it.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 07:18 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #6892
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,534
Evil, Evil Russians.
NOMADS
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #6893
vwboomer
Buffoon

Oddometer: 9,145
The whole arty thing is getting ridiculous. 4, even 5 on relatively wide open maps means if the arty on my team isn't CB, we're pretty much screwed. Yet, on the rare ocassions I hop in my GWPanther, I'm the only farging arty on my team wtf?

Losing the last couple days. T30 is spendy.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #6894
Dysco
caddis muncher

Oddometer: 15,652
I got a gift code along with my awesome new video card. 30 days of premium and 2,050 gold. This is probably all of the gold I'll ever have in the game. Do I save it? Buy a middle-tier tank for making money? Save it for premium later?
Dysco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #6895
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysco View Post
I got a gift code along with my awesome new video card. 30 days of premium and 2,050 gold. This is probably all of the gold I'll ever have in the game. Do I save it? Buy a middle-tier tank for making money? Save it for premium later?
If you're absolutely sure it's the last Gold you will ever have... then if I were you, I'd buy a premium tank with it (one that deals the most damage). I would strongly consider the Churchill III (which is a lend/lease tank that the Brits gave to the Russians, so it will train Russian heavy crews). It is going for 1500 gold right now (if you can wait long enough, eventually it will go on sale for less Gold), and it will make you money (and help win you games) much longer than using your gold for a temporary Premium account will pay you dividends.

That, or the T-25 German (maybe - but I haven't read much on its earnings, where-as the Churchill is famous for being good - and slow).

If you're willing to throw money at the game to increase your Gold, even if only once, you could add that 2050 Gold to what you buy and buy a bigger tier premium (which should earn you more money over the long-term).
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 08:48 PM
Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #6896
Ebein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKjeff View Post
Anybody else's ADD rear up in this game?

I like playing mediums and I like the German tanks, I figured I'd go up the German medium line.
Well, I have room in the garage, and credits burning a hole in my pocket, lets play the German lights up too.
Sounds like a plan.

So how did a Sherman end up in my garage?

Someone posted about the T29, which I've wanted. I love the lines. I check my American Tech Tree and notice I have enough xp to skip the M3 Lee and get into a Sherman. Nice, that was one of my goals quite a while back.

I'm enjoying the Sherman, and didn't like the Tiger I briefly played. Maybe I'll just build a collection of tier 5 and 6 mediums.

Just a Little ADD...
My current Garage ....

US T32, T34, T25AT, T25/2, T71, M4, M4A3E2, T20, T1HT, M36, M12
UK Matilda BP, Cromwell, Churchill I, Chuchill VII, AT2
German Tiger II, Dicker Max, JagPanther, Pz II G, Pz III/IV, Pz IV, VK3001P, Panther, Tiger P, Hummel
France AMX105AM, AMX13 90, ARL44, ARL V39
USSR KV4, KV2, IS, SU-100, T-50, T-34, T-43, KV-1, KV-1S, SU-85B, SU-8
China Type T-34, Type 59, M5A1 Stuart
Ebein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:42 PM   #6897
Big Bird 928
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
Nice game tonight in my KV-1S.

I would like to point out that the SU-26 had about 10k battles, 5k of them in the SU-26. he was very good with that thing and almost won it for their team at the end. However in the end teamwork did prevail. I have sixth sense on my crew and my platoon partner did not so we used my tank as a scout at the end and narrowed down their location that way.

Big Bird 928 screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 11:58 PM
Big Bird 928 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:10 AM   #6898
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
T29 is a good tank...I have not decided if it is a keeper or not yet. I have been working on my first two tier 9 tanks, the Patton and T54....both are researched about the same, one I have been known to lose 20k live and win, the other I have been known to win 20k lose and die...anyone want to guess what tank falls into each category.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 AM   #6899
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
T29 is a good tank...I have not decided if it is a keeper or not yet. I have been working on my first two tier 9 tanks, the Patton and T54....both are researched about the same, one I have been known to lose 20k live and win, the other I have been known to win 20k lose and die...anyone want to guess what tank falls into each category.
I've read the T-54 is more expensive to play for some people, but with them both being tier 9's I couldn't even venture a guess which was which.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Old 04-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #6900
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I've read the T-54 is more expensive to play for some people, but with them both being tier 9's I couldn't even venture a guess which was which.
T54 is actually making me money on just about every game...at least even a few hundred on crap games, the Patton I will lose money on wins where is live and get some kills....crazy.

I have also noticed that there is a GREAT DEAL of arty in the matches where I drive the tier 9 tanks....I was thinking there was a cap of 4 per side but in one game there was 5 and 6 on each side....I just spotted and hid that entire game....not why I play this game. And the arty at this level...forget about it....if they shoot at you....your dead....they never need a second shot unless you are moving....and they are darn good at hitting you at 40kph.

I am glad that spring is almost here....I am thinking about walking away, at these high tiers between the arty and losing silver on the Patton I may walk away....I will likely wait to see where it all goes with tier 10, but I doubt I will be playing this game like I once was....and I sure as hell will not spend any more real money on it....still have a little over 4K in gold, after it is gone it is gone....shame it was fun.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: