User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 351 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #841
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,580
Let me add to the question of "what helps?" - pay particular attention to your view range on whatever you're running vs. similar tanks at the same, above and below tiers to get a feel for how you will play. Some TD's really are best used as attack TD's (i.e. moving up with an attacking force, but just behind it) because you don't have a view range or camo-value worth a dang.

Always assume that if you aren't playing German, you're going to need to do things a bit differently since they tend to have (not always though) the best view ranges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
7.3 details posted today.....

Link
Thank you for that. I guess I was correct in my initial understanding of the transfer of XP over with the KV-3 then... that page says "All undistributed experience earned on KV-3 tier 6 goes to KV-3 tier 7", which is good for me as I turned off the crew-bonus XP check-box for a while with the KV-3 and accumulated somewhere around 54,000 XP for the change-over. I hope it helps.

The KV-3 is a joy to play (once you get over, and understand, the lack of speed that limits your routes and plans... nothing like trying to do something and finding all the battles are over by the time you get anywhere. That took about 15 games to get used to), so it wasn't difficult.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 03:45 PM
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:57 PM   #842
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,177
Holy Shiznit!!!!!!

Best Battle Ever!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #843
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

I'm stunned.

I was questioning it with mine, so let me ask you this - how many of those that you deteected or damaged were teammates from afar shooting at based on your spotting?

I have this feeling that the XP bonus for spotting actually finally works with the M18 where-as it never seemed to work all too well with other tanks. I was thinking they fixed something, or made the M18 have great bonuses for specific actions, as that great game I had (which you beat!) had to of included damage by others since I did a reasonable amount, but not a shit-ton of it.

I'm just guessing here.

and ... Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
Holy Shiznit!!!!!!

Edit - you did have a lot of shots hit the targets, too! Maybe that's all there is to it?
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 07:22 PM Reason: you did have a lot of shots hit the targets, too! Maybe that's all there is to it?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #844
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

The m41 and su8 were totally mine....the rest were shared kills and shared damages. I'm pretty sure there were no damages where I was the only one spotting the target, unless it was arty...it's hard to tell. I think the biggest boosts I got were that all the tanks I was up against took a lot of hit points to kill, and I got 100% of the capture points. I'll post the replay if anyone wants to see it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64191565/201...ough.wotreplay

MN_Smurf screwed with this post 04-18-2012 at 07:39 PM
MN_Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:29 AM   #845
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
saw a WOT commercial on late night cable last night.....
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:56 AM   #846
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm stunned.

I was questioning it with mine, so let me ask you this - how many of those that you deteected or damaged were teammates from afar shooting at based on your spotting?

I have this feeling that the XP bonus for spotting actually finally works with the M18 where-as it never seemed to work all too well with other tanks. I was thinking they fixed something, or made the M18 have great bonuses for specific actions, as that great game I had (which you beat!) had to of included damage by others since I did a reasonable amount, but not a shit-ton of it.

I'm just guessing here.

and ... Congratulations!

Edit - you did have a lot of shots hit the targets, too! Maybe that's all there is to it?
Dave, on further review, I think the big thing that drove up my score in this one is the fact that I posted kill and damage totals that make it look like I was a top tier tank in the battle when I wasn't. There were a lot of hit points available to collect due to the size of the tanks involved. The only times previous to this that I've put up 5+ kills and multiple damages was when I was running a KV or Priest in a 2-5 battle. That's the same number of kills, but a lot less damage to do to get there. We're talking about killing 160-250hp tanks vs. doing the majority of the damage to 900-1200hp tanks. For me to come in as a tier 6 in a 5-7 battle and not get all of those kills cleaning up tanks that were already on the brink of death contributed a lot.....of course, 100% capture by myself probably didn't hurt either.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM   #847
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Ever have those moments when you see an enemy and have pity on him, or for some reason just don't shoot him?

I tend to have them in my IS-3. I'm often in the lead... for some reason... so I'll encounter smaller tanks first.

If I'm leading a string of guys, while rare I will sometimes just drive right beside an enemy who was trying to, or planning to, hold his position (to stop my team from rolling up to their base) for the guys behind me to get. My focus is on serious enemies up ahead, so I don't need to waste a shot on a small guy like an M10 Wolverine.

But... other times... I just don't have the need to try to kill them all. Such was the case today when, in Lakeville, my team of tier 8's and below went to both sides, but I was the only one to go down the middle road. After supporting my guys in the town the best I could, I got near the end of the middle road to the south base and found two arty, a M18 Hellcat, and a Pz38na. The Hellcat was seemingly the most serious threat, so I shot at him first. This gave the little 38na time to get beside me. Two more shots and the M18 was dead, then came the arties... the whole time I am moving toward their circle for cap, ignoring the fast and furious 38na that was shooting me in my sides and behind. I think I made the little 38 mad that I would not even acknowledge him, lol. I never turned my tank or turret to him. I guess he just didn't matter, and I was fine with him running off to let me cap.

But he was persistent. In an act of desperation he rammed into my rear left side and jammed himself against me. A lot of scraping sounds were to be had, but I kept on going straight into the circle and ignoring him. Still persistent though, he decided to keep on my tail...

By this screenshot he has shot me about eight times... maybe more? Leave me alone little nA!

So once I was nearly in the middle of the circle I just stopped, then hit reverse... he wasn't ready to be paid attention to, so he wasn't able to stop, and thus killed himself into the back of my tank.

The Leopard that came from town and I capped for the win right after that shot was taken.

I always wonder what players think when I completely ignore them when in my IS-3? I guess it will be the same with smaller tanks once we all finally play a Maus.

---------------

Secondly, since it may be apparent, you guys who are newer to the game should take a look at that screenshot for the tanks still alive and their dispersion (they have three tier 8's left, we only have two... I guess on paper they are winning, or about to win by crushing us). This is a prime example of why so many don't take the argument that "damage is all that matters" seriously in winning or stat comparisons. No, claim numbers of us, winning is the stat that matters. Most times some enemies have to be engaged, but the truth is that there are two ways to win a game - total enemy destruction, or simply capping. Since one can cap an enemy base even if most or all of them remain alive (and are foolish enough to not protect it, and also to get caught up and stuck on some side-route that didn't work), damage is not the stat that matters. Nor is average XP or average damage for the account a valid comparison as some people bought Lowes from day one, so their average XP will be higher than yours if you fought up through the ranks with crappy little tanks and guns.

No... finding a way to take advantage of however a map develops - that is the key to success.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 01:22 PM
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #848
Gernick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Mercy? Nevah! I love chasing scout tanks. Especially if I'm in something fast. Hellcat or a Chaffee normally works.
Gernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #849
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
saw a WOT commercial on late night cable last night.....
How does a free to play game afford advertising?
Are they owned by a big gaming company?
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #850
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

It is only free to play as a business model that people will want to pay to have better tanks, or to advance faster. It's been going for about a year now; they must be making more money than just breaking-even, so then it's time to advertise. Truthfully, a lot of paying customers left other more intensive games for WoT as they've grown up and had families - a game one can play in 15-minute intervals, however simple (and WoT is simple) is a better sell, now, than building up hours or days to eventually fight other people (PvP). These guys don't mind paying a little here and there to play quick-fights compared to what they were paying every month in the past.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR

Mambo Dave screwed with this post 04-19-2012 at 06:20 PM
Old 04-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #851
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
There's a 50% discounts on garage slots for this weekend's TD special.

I'll wait for my free KVs come 0.7.3

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:09 AM   #852
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
How does a free to play game afford advertising?
Are they owned by a big gaming company?
For a free-to-play/freemium model, they seem to have a huge percentage of paying players. The game makes millions a month.

http://www.gamezebo.com/news/2012/03...s-large-profit

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:38 AM   #853
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
There's a 50% discounts on garage slots for this weekend's TD special.

I'll wait for my free KVs come 0.7.3
i'm going for the free kv slot also...
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #854
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

7.3 Public Test #1 opens this weekend, so it should only be 2-3 weeks until it goes live.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:54 AM   #855
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,675
Is it worth getting the 90mm M3 gun in the T 20 or should I just keep the M1A2? The plan is to top out the medium line.

The M41 is NOT hitting anything lately. The Priest has been doing poorly too.
papalobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: