Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 399 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 05-12-2012, 05:16 AM   #1051
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
The invisible tanks usually just comes down to view-range (theirs vs. yours), camo, and the reduced view-range of tanks when moving. I have had it where we were close but still invisible to each other, but that doesn't count then.

I know that with the way I set up my tanks, I'm probably that "invisible" tank some keep complaining about, lol. In fact, I love it... I've had a few recent wins where I did tons of damage and multiple kills while ending the game with no damage to myself what-so-ever. It all started with the Marder II .
I know I was an invisi-tank yesterday. Playing Abbey from the south cap in my M41. I went down to that spot on the southeast corner that's still up on the same level as the cap so I could support the road. I was able to help, but they still got through. A SU-100 with a almost full health M6 came up the ramp first. My "Finger of God" didn't have to reach to far to one-shot the M6 and couple of friendlies got the SU. Then a almost dead T-29 came up. He got the PzIV that was with me and then backed down. I missed one shot and backed up. Between the bush in front of me, my camo net, and my 85% camo crew, he couldn't see me by the time he got his gun around on me....and he might have been 75-100 meters away. Yeah, I put him out of his misery on the next shot.

Edit: Here's the replay if anybody is interested. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64191565/201...tery.wotreplay

MN_Smurf screwed with this post 05-12-2012 at 05:31 AM
MN_Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #1052
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Smurf View Post
I know I was an invisi-tank yesterday. Playing Abbey from the south cap in my M41. I went down to that spot on the southeast corner that's still up on the same level as the cap so I could support the road. I was able to help, but they still got through. A SU-100 with a almost full health M6 came up the ramp first. My "Finger of God" didn't have to reach to far to one-shot the M6 and couple of friendlies got the SU. Then a almost dead T-29 came up. He got the PzIV that was with me and then backed down. I missed one shot and backed up. Between the bush in front of me, my camo net, and my 85% camo crew, he couldn't see me by the time he got his gun around on me....and he might have been 75-100 meters away. Yeah, I put him out of his misery on the next shot.

Edit: Here's the replay if anybody is interested. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/64191565/201...tery.wotreplay

My hellcat should be an invisi tank if I've done my calcs right.
I have to be behind a good bush, and my net has to be active, but if those are both thrue, they have to be within 50m to see me. Once my crew hits 86% camo, the came will be true when I'm shooting. My T25/2 is already there.
SkidMarx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #1053
OConnor OP
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,416
I know why they are invisible, that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

The exploits I see are badly rendered terrain that you or more likely your opponent can shoot through. It looks solid but is not.

Multiple SPG's properly set can cover most of the map pretty well, especially with their absurd AWACS view. You have to move from cover sometime. I'm just bitching about the Finger of God because I don't have the patients to sit back and lob bombs. There are some players that have mastered them even in TD mode they can be scary.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #1054
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by OConnor View Post
Multiple SPG's properly set can cover most of the map pretty well, especially with their absurd AWACS view. You have to move from cover sometime. I'm just bitching about the Finger of God because I don't have the patients to sit back and lob bombs. There are some players that have mastered them even in TD mode they can be scary.
What I really like is counter-battery fire and taking out the enemy arty. Don't like it so much when it happens to me though.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:16 PM   #1055
brewer90
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
I decided to create a different account and try the Frenchy light line. I scored quite a few awards in my first game with my AMX 12t fully upgraded. I was #6 on the depth chart. I just have to remember that to stop is to die unless I'm behind cover.

brewer90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 AM   #1056
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

This weekend totally screwed my win rate....between Saturday and Sunday, I was 14-28. Stupid Tier 9 and 10 tanks on my team in every high tier match, which was 4 out of every 5 of my matches. I had two 6 kill games that we ended up loosing. One on those, mid-tier in my Easy 8, the rest of my team only managed to get 3 kills among all 14 of them. How the hell do I get twice as many kills as the rest of my team??? And they weren't easy kills either....two of them I got were a full health JagdPanzer and a T-150.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #1057
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
This weekend totally screwed my win rate....between Saturday and Sunday
+1
I gave up. First time in a while that I didn't get my daily 2x for all my tanks.
Overall % didn't change, but my Pershing and Hellcat dropped several points.
The 25/2 also dropped, but it has a low enough total battles I should be able to recover pretty easily.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #1058
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Glad it wasn't just me....

If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd say there is some sort of behind the scenes douchebaggery going on with MM based on your recent performance. I had a really good weekend on May 4-6 (as did several of us), so I seemed to get much lower talented teammates this weekend. I will be interested to see if the pendulum swings back the other way.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM   #1059
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Glad it wasn't just me....

If I was into conspiracy theories, I'd say there is some sort of behind the scenes douchebaggery going on with MM based on your recent performance. I had a really good weekend on May 4-6 (as did several of us), so I seemed to get much lower talented teammates this weekend. I will be interested to see if the pendulum swings back the other way.
I've wondered the same thing.
Saturday started out great. I won the first battle in my M7,E8,T-20,Hellcat, 25/2, and SU-26.
That left just the Pershing which is by far my most expensive tank to run. I don't even know how many battles I lost in it. Never did get my 2x for Sat. lost at least 100k credits. Good thing I'm more worried about XP right now.
Sunday was exactly the opposite. Won first battle in the Pershing, Couldn't win in anything else.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #1060
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

A coworker that plays just brought up a pretty good point. Leading up to this weekend, we just had 7 days of 3x and 5x xp, plus a lot of big tanks on sale. That obviously leads to people moving up the line fast, and probably not having trained crews to put in those big tanks....and as I proved to myself when I started the Lee grind last week, a trained crew can make even a poor tank perform well. This could have been a perfect storm of people moving up before they were really ready.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #1061
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A coworker that plays just brought up a pretty good point. Leading up to this weekend, we just had 7 days of 3x and 5x xp, plus a lot of big tanks on sale. That obviously leads to people moving up the line fast, and probably not having trained crews to put in those big tanks....and as I proved to myself when I started the Lee grind last week, a trained crew can make even a poor tank perform well. This could have been a perfect storm of people moving up before they were really ready.
Very good point.
There's a reason I always have a fully trained crew to put in a new tank. Even if I don't spend the gold for 100% transfer, I always at least spend the silver.
If I don't sell the tank a crew comes out of(rare), a basic crew in an Elite tank isn't nearly as painful as a 50% crew in a base tank.
Throw in the time it takes to learn how to play said new tank and it makes even more sense.
BTW, when the MM puts 4 Type 59s against 3 Lowes, hope you are on the Type 59 side. I wasn't. It was ugly. Fast...but ugly.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #1062
FPGT72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkidMarx View Post
Very good point.
There's a reason I always have a fully trained crew to put in a new tank. Even if I don't spend the gold for 100% transfer, I always at least spend the silver.
If I don't sell the tank a crew comes out of(rare), a basic crew in an Elite tank isn't nearly as painful as a 50% crew in a base tank.
Throw in the time it takes to learn how to play said new tank and it makes even more sense.
BTW, when the MM puts 4 Type 59s against 3 Lowes, hope you are on the Type 59 side. I wasn't. It was ugly. Fast...but ugly.
MM is still pretty messed up in general. The thing that drives me crazy now is the red screen when you zoom. Just drives me nutz.
FPGT72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #1063
papalobster
With Gusto!

Oddometer: 12,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
MM is still pretty messed up in general. The thing that drives me crazy now is the red screen when you zoom. Just drives me nutz.
I get that too, but not all the time. Really puts the hurt on aiming at vunerable spots.

I don't see it in arty at all though.

I couldn't win at all Saturday.....even with the Churchill. I parked the M26 for a bit too. Almost have enough silver to get the M12. Almost. The M41 is too slow to be an effective TD
papalobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #1064
MN_Smurf
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by papalobster View Post
The M41 is too slow to be an effective TD
The secret to playing TD with the M41 is to wait for the tanks to come to you....

As far as my next upgrade goes.....SU-85, and then B1. I've started up the French heavy line.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #1065
SkidMarx
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPGT72 View Post
Haven't had the red screen.
I don't see as many truly bad matchups as I used to. The wiki explains how it works. It's all in how they weight each tank. There are a few tanks that should be Weighted differently IMO. Type 59 is one of them. T-50-2 is another.

If they can figure out a way to take player suckage into account they might be able to do better.
I don't see that happening though.
The only Player stats I can think of that might help are the awards and Total # battles in a given tank.
Looking up all the data on the fly would likely kill the MM performance wise.

Platoons make a difference in my experience. They aren't part of the matchmaking though. I think they should be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: