Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #136
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer: 111
I had taken so many pictures in between updates that I just wanted to slam them up, and didn't take any time to write descriptive captions. But I thought it was worth mention in case any one is interested; the creamy stuff I rubbed into the leather after the seat was done is bacon grease. I used to spend a lot on leather care products until one day as I was cleaning up after cooking breakfast, it dawned on me that this stuff would be perfect. There may be adverse effects down the road I suppose, but I've been doing this for a couple years now and haven't found any. Usually the bacon smell goes away within a day or so too, so I no longer worry about wild animals attacking my seat while I sleep.
I Am Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #137
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,210
What size is that rear tire?I have a 140/90-15 Tour Master that is brand new and it's not worth the return shipping to send it back.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #138
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
What size is that rear tire?I have a 140/90-15 Tour Master that is brand new and it's not worth the return shipping to send it back.
I'm not sure of the tire code, but I could call Earl and have him read it off to me tomorrow. I do know my rim is 16" x 3", if that helps.

...On a side note, this whole incident got me looking again for a custom wheel (18" x 3") to mount a dual sport tire...Any body know where I would look for something like that?
I've tried TryDNA after a recommendation, but they told me they couldn't make it. It seems impossible to me that there is no one on Earth who would be willing to lace an '01 Sporty appropriate hub to an 18"x3" wheel, but I haven't found them yet. I need to keep trying because I know it's out there, but if anyone has any leads that might simplify the search, I'd sure appreciate it. For the mean time though, it's gonna be whatever tire you have, ban2go, or Earl thinks he might have a used one that can get me through another season.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:30 AM   #139
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Give this place a try for the 18 inch wheel. http://www.buchananspokes.net/ They do a lot of one off stuff.High quality work comes from that shop.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #140
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

test.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #141
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Murphy View Post
test.
FAILED!

what was the test for?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #142
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
FAILED!

what was the test for?
hahaha yeah it looks like it was a fail indeed. I changed my avatar, and wanted to see if it would be reflected in future posts. Also, I assumed I would be able to delete the blank post later, which I no longer care about doing. So a double fail, although the new avatar seems to show up on my profile page.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #143
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

I have begun working on preliminary design work for a rear luggage rack. I am leaning towards aluminum profile. I scaled up a picture of the bike in AutoCAD and overlaid the new rack design, it looks alright so far.

Photo scaling was a bit off for the overhead view, but it gets the point across. I'm not using this mockup to proof any ultra precise points, just to make sure that there are no obvious hangups to surprise me when it's time to build. I feel fine about this one, and think it will be nice never to have to wear a backpack again...and of course no longer to arrive at my destination with my fender-mounted pack hanging half way off to one side or another. I'll be very happy to have a convenient and reliable method for carrying my crap.

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 09-13-2013 at 06:41 PM
Old 09-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #144
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Quote:
hahaha yeah it looks like it was a fail indeed. I changed my avatar, and wanted to see if it would be reflected in future posts. Also, I assumed I would be able to delete the blank post later, which I no longer care about doing. So a double fail, although the new avatar seems to show up on my profile page.

Racks are always a good idear.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #145
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

GoPro Camera Test

A five minute video created from footage taken with a GoPro Hero 3 in combination with video found on the internet.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #146
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

With winter on the horizon, I am remembering the regularity with which I have cold start troubles year after year. With that in mind, I set out to create an easy way to get myself out of trouble in these such occasions. In the army, our trucks had 'slave' connectors and mating slave cables. It's just a jumper cable, but with a connector instead of alligator clips. I'll have to have alligator clips on one end, because no one will ever have the mating connector that I'm using pre-installed. But on my end, even with my belt and rubber flap battery cover, a connector will be far more convenient.

The connector that's on there during regular operation is just a dummy. I had just enough old Spacecraft connectors laying around to make one make and two females, but to buy a cover for the male would have cost at least another $50. So this was the free option. The wires are dead ended after the strain relief on the connector end, and are bolted to the frame on the free end, so I don't have to worry about forgetting it somewhere after getting a jump.

...and of course the final touch, the cable itself...

And best of all, my battery was dead all while I was building this whole setup, so I got to test it as soon as it was all completed...SUCCESS!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #147
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 833
Interesting process with the battery. Me, I was thinking of trying to flip side with battery so the terminal is on outside for easy access which mean I would need to be sure the wire is longer than normal in order to reach the terminal.

You asked me how powder coating is going.. here is some of the result..

Clutch Lever:

Rear Hub:

Just shipped the hub to Buchanan's spoke to make Sun Rim for front/rear. I ordered a billet aluminum front hub for KTM (Because I am using their 50mm WP forks and it has 17" axle) and had it shipped there. The front hub will probably be the only orange that will look different from the rest but that's ok because with front brake disc and all, it shouldn't be noticeable from distance but noticeable within 5ft.

I am hoping to get most of my sportster assembled by end of the year (be in Colombia this Nov).
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #148
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Interesting process with the battery. Me, I was thinking of trying to flip side with battery so the terminal is on outside for easy access which mean I would need to be sure the wire is longer than normal in order to reach the terminal.

You asked me how powder coating is going.. here is some of the result..

Clutch Lever:

Rear Hub:

Just shipped the hub to Buchanan's spoke to make Sun Rim for front/rear. I ordered a billet aluminum front hub for KTM (Because I am using their 50mm WP forks and it has 17" axle) and had it shipped there. The front hub will probably be the only orange that will look different from the rest but that's ok because with front brake disc and all, it shouldn't be noticeable from distance but noticeable within 5ft.

I am hoping to get most of my sportster assembled by end of the year (be in Colombia this Nov).

Dude, that came out looking sick! When will you be putting it all back together? This Buchanan wheel, it's the rear? Did you already have a hub to sacrifice, or did they do a total fab for you? That ha been my biggest trouble thus far - mainly because I'm trying to limit costs, but with the rear wheel it's lookin more and more like that's not an option...
Yeah, the terminals face out was phase one, I think I turned my battery around either a year or two ago. Every year I basically just try to make new improvements that will make it easier and easier to maintain on the go...guess I coulda just bought some jumper cables though!
Old 10-20-2013, 09:30 PM   #149
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 833
Quote:
Dude, that came out looking sick! When will you be putting it all back together? This Buchanan wheel, it's the rear? Did you already have a hub to sacrifice, or did they do a total fab for you? That ha been my biggest trouble thus far - mainly because I'm trying to limit costs, but with the rear wheel it's lookin more and more like that's not an option...
Yeah, the terminals face out was phase one, I think I turned my battery around either a year or two ago. Every year I basically just try to make new improvements that will make it easier and easier to maintain on the go...guess I coulda just bought some jumper cables though!
Thanks!! I am just starting to put it back together. Tomorrow I am going to Greenville NC to Travel Clinic for vaccine shots and they have Harbor Freight there so getting blades for oscillating tool so I can cut off some dead weight on the cam cover as seen here Once I get done with cutting it off, I am going to powder coat both primary and cam cover orange before I start assembling engine together. Also working on forks now changing out the fork springs and at same time powder coat a piece on fork then paint letters on it 'Harley-Davidson' just as you would see on KTM.

As for Buchanan's, I am getting rims done for both front and rear. I am having it coated to black and they will assemble it for me. I have no idea when it will arrive here and I am betting it will come in while I am in Colombia.

Edit: Did I mentioned that I am also planning to make my own front sprocket cover? I got couple of idea for it but one thing for sure is that I plan to make a hole big enough for me to put tools through to remove the nut without removing the cover. That's the design I am working on right now.
WhicheverAnyWayCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #150
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Thanks!! I am just starting to put it back together. Tomorrow I am going to Greenville NC to Travel Clinic for vaccine shots and they have Harbor Freight there so getting blades for oscillating tool so I can cut off some dead weight on the cam cover as seen here Once I get done with cutting it off, I am going to powder coat both primary and cam cover orange before I start assembling engine together. Also working on forks now changing out the fork springs and at same time powder coat a piece on fork then paint letters on it 'Harley-Davidson' just as you would see on KTM.

As for Buchanan's, I am getting rims done for both front and rear. I am having it coated to black and they will assemble it for me. I have no idea when it will arrive here and I am betting it will come in while I am in Colombia.

Edit: Did I mentioned that I am also planning to make my own front sprocket cover? I got couple of idea for it but one thing for sure is that I plan to make a hole big enough for me to put tools through to remove the nut without removing the cover. That's the design I am working on right now.
Dude that cam cover looks SICK. It looks kinda labor intensive, but I think I'm gonna have to go for it. Where's your build thread at? I want to check it out

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 05:11 PM