Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer: 111
So I found that there was only one thing I wanted to carry over from the Honda stem to my hybrid conversion stem; the base diameter at the lower end, where the stem will have to be pressed into the lower triple clamp. That being the case, I opted for a simpler path: I will weld extra stainless onto the part that needs to be thicker and mill it back down 30 thousands in the machine shop. The welding is done, and I will pick it back up tomorow. Also on the docket for tomorrow, the rework of the handlebars!
I Am Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Well, now both ends of the stem have been machined and the Honda-Davidson triple tree is a great fit with a smooth moving feel. Now I just hope it fits the frame as well as I expect it to!
...Ran into a small snag on the handle bar conversion, the bars were aluminum, so I could not connect them to stainless with braze OR weld...so, not willing to lose an easy conversion due to a difficulty with materials, I filled the gap with industrial strength epoxy and we'll keep on truckin' - life's a garden, dig it.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Stem fits, might add a washer to it, but vertically it's pretty good. Left to right, not so much. I have almost no turning; the solid risers hit the tank, and I didn't even dare try the bars on. They'll probably tighten it up so I can't turn at all. Jim wasn't kidding, this process is a back and forth of successes and failures. We'll get there eventually.

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 02-08-2012 at 02:38 PM
Old 02-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Steering Solution

I have received a lot of killer ideas from my friends as to how I might solve the steering issue, and at the end of all brain storming I think the best solution will be to redesign the tank to allow full turn radius. Initially I figured I'd just cut out the area that is making contact and weld in a half pipe, but I decided that if I'm going to rework the tank at all it might as well become the last tank I'll ever need. So I'm angling it back for clearance, and extending the ceiling for added capacity. I have drawn up a generalization, and for dimensioning my sheets I will make a cardboard model. After I dry fit the model and mark all the pieces I can take it apart and use them as templates for cutting.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #20
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Big plans tomorrow morning...hopefully I will get the primary operating portion of the front end together tomorrow (forks, bars, tire/rotor and caliper. Also in the works is the cardboard mock up fuel tank, and finally, my battery re-orientation.
I've noticed a tendency over the years of my battery on the ol' Rainmaker to rattle loose, always leaving me stuck in some parking lot, trying to cram a screwdriver deep enough within the frame to put just enough turn on the positive terminal to get me started up. It's a pain. I know I could put a little loctite on the terminal screws and probably end my problem, but field serviceability is ranked second only to functionality in my book. So now is the time. I'm going to flip the battery around 180 degrees and take away all difficulty of access.

I'll have to extend the wiring to come around to the outside, and protect the terminals to avoid electrical hazard. The plan is to create a cover out of tool drawer rubber that will be secured beneath the OEM tie down bracket. Also secured by the OEM tie down will be a belt run around the lateral surface of the battery. So my thinking is, if for some reason I need to access my terminals, crack open the belt, the straps fall to the side but are held up by the tie down, while the rubber flaps can be flipped up (also with position preserved by the tie downs). The only reason I should have to take off the tie down will be for a complete battery replacement.

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 02-10-2012 at 07:25 PM
Old 02-11-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

The battery re-orientation went relatively smoothly, here's the final product:

Old 02-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Had to cut out some of the stainless handlebars I made, the HD bars have a cutaway intended for the wires to tuck into.

Assembling the combined handlebar design was not without disappointment, I had to remove the guts from the HD heated hand grips I loved so much. Looks like I'll be switching to heated gloves for the winter.

But I got it all back together, now I just need to build my new fuel tank. Here's the cardboard mockup I'll be using for construction:

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 02-11-2012 at 04:38 PM
Old 02-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
rear wheel

I like where you are going with this. Are you going to do a rear wheel swap to match the front? Maybe make it easier by getting a rear HD hub and lace up a rim of your choosing?
Old 02-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #24
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper View Post
I like where you are going with this. Are you going to do a rear wheel swap to match the front? Maybe make it easier by getting a rear HD hub and lace up a rim of your choosing?
Yeah, I'm hoping to do more of a whole rear end swap. In my mind I've got this project broken into three parts: front, middle and rear, to be done in that order. I've been kind of charging ahead blindly, focussing only on front. Basically I am working on blind faith that once I get that together I'll be able to figure out the other two sections.
The one thing I have considered for the rear is buying a used rear swingarm from an 80's XL600R, keeping the pivot end from the sportster and welding on the tire end from the XL, and cutting both to give me 4" extra length. Once I get a little closer to execution I'll have to investigate compatibility of the sportster belt to chain conversion kit with the rear sprocket from the XL. Should be an easy match though.
On a side note regarding conversion and fitment, the banjo bolt from the XL caliper fit the eyelet from the HD brake cable like a dream.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM   #25
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,309

More than one way to skin a cat !

I like the contrast between your build, Doug's JTH's and johnwesley's. Go man go !
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #26
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Today marks the beginning of actual fuel tank fabrication. This will undoubtedly be a slow process as I have no experience with this sort of work. I started with a cardboard mockup (admittedly, the picture didn't do much good expressing the general shape) and now will be attempting to figure out which shapes will be cuts, and which one bends. My lunch break is over, but here's what I did for the rear and top of the tank.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #27
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

fuel tank fab

Okay, I'm gonna load up a step by step of fuel tank progress so far.
To date, I have:
Designed a cardboard mockup around the existing parameters,
Cut up a junk sportster tank to keep the base components I want,
Sandblasted the edges to prep for welding,
Traced out the general shape from my cardboard model,
Cut out the sheet for just one side,
and Tack-welded that side in place so I can build around it....Here goes!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #28
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
subscribed.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #29
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Dash

The fairing is in from Britannia Composites, I copied Wesley and sprung for the generic Lynx setup. Looks real nice, and since I'll have to cut a few light wires, why not take the extra step to make an old dream come true? Instead of just snipping my headlamp wires and making the switch, I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity and cut ALL the light wires and run them through a kill switch. Once all is said and done I should be capable of disappearing into the twilight with helmet mounted night vision and stealthy light discipline. We called it blackout drive when I was overseas with the cavalry. I know it's nuts and I'll probably never get to make real use of it but humor this old Walter, just let this one go
Anyway, I digress. Today I wanted to talk about my indicator light panel. Since the new fairing has a spacious dashboard, I saw no reason to mount any instruments on my bars, and to expediate field maintenance (#2 priority after function!) and also give the smaller instruments a more unified appearance, I will be making a backplate for my OEM turn signal indicator / oil / neutral light and battery gauge. The idea is, I can pull the panel instead of multiple gauges for field maintenance.
I did this on my lunch break today, took just under 30 mins.

Once I had cut my piece of scrap to a dimension that would allow just enough corner space outside of the instruments for countersunk flat top screws, I marked approximate center, where the battery gauge wires would pass through.

With the wire hole drilled, I zipped my scrap down to a block of wood with a wood screw and washer, marked a .25" border, and put a quick center punch to the corners. Not looking for total perfection, though the devil IS in the details.

After drilling my corners and putting a countersink on every hole, I traced my OEM indicator light cluster to get a general eyeball guideline for machining.

Letting not a moment go to waste, I hit the mill.

Being in a hurry doesn't usually deliver perfection, and in keeping with the age old laws of man, my haste made waste. In trying to accomplish my modest goal in such limited time, I absent mindedly ran the mill in reverse for well over half the cut. Nothing ruined, but it sure slowed down the milling process, and made deburring a bigger pain than it needed to be as well. But it sanded out just fine.

With sanding completed, and only a few minutes left on my break, I had to make up for lost time. I took off that easily scratched shiny surface in the sand blaster to give it that more rugged, militant metal look.

Slap all the components in and call it a day, back to work. I didn't realize it until just now, as I uploaded the photo, but my lack of planning wound me up pretty asymmetrical from top to bottom. That'll bother me a bit, but then again its those oddball imperfections that say "I slapped this sucker together on my lunch break one day..."

Here it is with the countersunk mounting screws. Next step will be to mount it on the dash.

I Am Murphy screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 02:01 PM
Old 02-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #30
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,162
Cool gauge stack er dash.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote