Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #61
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,825
I'm really looking forward to seeing how that bedliner paint turns out.

Totally understand how much effort it is to post the pics and type the narration in addition to having a life worth sharing. It's be almost a year and I'm not even 1/2 way finished with my ride report.

Keep it up though. I know there are many of us enjoying your build Harley or not; )
kalonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #62
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer: 111

...got her together, still have a snaglist to cover before she's safe to ride, but an exciting step none the less.
I Am Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:53 PM   #63
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalonji View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing how that bedliner paint turns out.

Totally understand how much effort it is to post the pics and type the narration in addition to having a life worth sharing. It's be almost a year and I'm not even 1/2 way finished with my ride report.

Keep it up though. I know there are many of us enjoying your build Harley or not; )

It came out well, but I spilt a drop of fuel on the tank before the paint had cured, and left a dorky lookin' stain.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:01 AM   #64
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,825
Very nice on the bed liner paint looks good. Sucks when you put all that effort in to something only to have a blemish left from something as simple as spilling a little gas. Such is my life too.

When do we get to see some videos of you tearing down a dirt road at excessive speeds?
kalonji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #65
DirtReeper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakakaan View Post
The fairing is in from Britannia Composites, I copied Wesley and sprung for the generic Lynx setup. Looks real nice, and since I'll have to cut a few light wires, why not take the extra step to make an old dream come true? Instead of just snipping my headlamp wires and making the switch, I'm going to take advantage of the opportunity and cut ALL the light wires and run them through a kill switch. Once all is said and done I should be capable of disappearing into the twilight with helmet mounted night vision and stealthy light discipline. We called it blackout drive when I was overseas with the cavalry. I know it's nuts and I'll probably never get to make real use of it but humor this old Walter, just let this one go
B/O Drive FTW I'm going to be doing very much similar to my KLaiRe. oh yeah HOOAH!! I'm Arty btw
DirtReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #66
subybaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Wow, I really like your build! It's got a grungy pipewrench feel, the complete opposite of the other HD build (with the CAD swingarm).

A couple questions:

Have you heard of this stufff? Seems like it would have saved some time...

Why did you coat the inside of the tank? If you'd already successfully leak-tested it, isn't pouring some gook in there just a possible failure point?

Great idea on the DB9 connectors! I'm wiring some lights into my panniers, and have been looking for something like that. I'll have to stop by RadioShack. How are they working out? Have you given any thought to waterproofing? At a minimum, squirting them full of silicone dielectric grease should help...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #67
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtReeper View Post
B/O Drive FTW I'm going to be doing very much similar to my KLaiRe. oh yeah HOOAH!! I'm Arty btw
Nice to meet you Arty, I'd love to see how you go about doing your B/O Drive...mine has been put on hold because I just missed riding it!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #68
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalonji View Post
Very nice on the bed liner paint looks good. Sucks when you put all that effort in to something only to have a blemish left from something as simple as spilling a little gas. Such is my life too.

When do we get to see some videos of you tearing down a dirt road at excessive speeds?
Yeah that was disappointing, but I came up with a cover that will hide it until I feel refreshed enough to pull the tank off and repaint it - I made it out of my old riding boots, I'll try and post the leatherworking process photos tonight...it came out pretty sweet. While I may not be tearing down any dirt roads until I finish the rear end, I do have a trip planned through some nice areas - maiden voyage departs on Friday, the 13th of July...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #69
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by subybaja View Post
Wow, I really like your build! It's got a grungy pipewrench feel, the complete opposite of the other HD build (with the CAD swingarm).

A couple questions:

Have you heard of this stufff? Seems like it would have saved some time...

Why did you coat the inside of the tank? If you'd already successfully leak-tested it, isn't pouring some gook in there just a possible failure point?

Great idea on the DB9 connectors! I'm wiring some lights into my panniers, and have been looking for something like that. I'll have to stop by RadioShack. How are they working out? Have you given any thought to waterproofing? At a minimum, squirting them full of silicone dielectric grease should help...
...Yeah I like that stuff, an Army buddy used it for his auto body restoration paint stripping needs, and swore by it. I almost went for it, but in the end I decided I wouldn't mind spending a little extra time alone in the garage.
- I opted for the tank sealer because when I cut the tank open, the factory liner was bubbled up and peeling. I sandblasted all the loose stuff out while it was accessible, and I basically just wanted to be sure she wouldn't rust from the inside out.
- The DB-9's are carrying the current just fine, mounting was a pain though. I like the waterproofing idea, I think I'll have to follow you down that road!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #70
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakakaan View Post
I mentioned in passing, the small blemish that was made on the tank by my careless refueling during the paint’s curing time…so obviously at some point I’ll pull the tank off and repaint it. Until the urge hits me however, I wanted to at least conceal my mistake. So here is what I came up with:

I removed the upper portion of the boot. This will be, for all practical purposes, the “usable” portion.

I tried to find the best way to attach the two pieces and achieve maximum surface area, this looked best to me.

So I started sewing. I'm using a leather awl as a pre-punch, heavy thread and a large needle.

It looked so nice it was hard to consider cutting out a single stitch...

I traced the largest diameter of the fuel cap onto the leather,

and did a rough cut.

I cleaned up the edges with these chicken scissors.

Then I had to restructure the initial stitches, which had lost their strength when the fill-hole was cut out, as well as laying down an edge stich around the hole.

I used a hole punch to cut out lacing holes. Later I will add leather boot laces to secure the bib to the tank.

I did a dry fit, just to make sure it will work as planned...

...and I tied it all down.

I added holes with the punch to accomodate keyrings. Behind the keyrings I sewed in small strips of scrap leather to keep them from scratching my (cruddy) paint job, and equipped each keychain with mini D-clips. Hopefully this will allow me to use the bib as a storage utility, but if not, at least it looks kinda tough.
...Oh and of course, suffice it to say that while I WAS able to use the boot's own original straps to secure the bib, it did require that they be cut off and sewn back on. There was a little guess work in the dimensioning, but I was able to get a pretty good idea from the dry fit.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #71
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 513
Very nice build!

I love your battery cover by the way, so stylish, yet so simple.

I actually always like seeing THE definitely-never-going-to-see-any-dirt-roads-bike being modified in direction of a dirt bike
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #72
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Very nice build!

I love your battery cover by the way, so stylish, yet so simple.

I actually always like seeing THE definitely-never-going-to-see-any-dirt-roads-bike being modified in direction of a dirt bike
Thanks! The idea came into my mind at the worst time possible, and it became a much bigger job than I had anticipated, but yeah it looks pretty rugged. I'll be interested to see how well it holds up in actual dirty conditions.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #73
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
hoses on fuel tank?

Must have missed it, but did go back and look again: What is the hose on top and side of your fuel tank for? It looks great, but you have not done anything on this build just for looks, so it must have a function. What is it?
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #74
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
Must have missed it, but did go back and look again: What is the hose on top and side of your fuel tank for? It looks great, but you have not done anything on this build just for looks, so it must have a function. What is it?
The hose on the left side of the tank is just my fuel gauge, but instead of plugging directly into the tank through an elbow, I used a tee. This is intended to be an inlet for an electronic fuel pump which will feed from an auxiliary tank on the back.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #75
I Am Murphy OP
Vagabond Sportster

I got around to the wiring recently. I needed to go in and really perfect the lighting circuit after the maiden voyage, and there were a few other bugs I was anxious to work out.
I've been going through another hasty period, not feeling so up to the task of documentation. So things just show up from one picture to the next, like the switches on the dash. When I rang out the system and searched for shorts, I found half wiring mistake and half faulty equipment; but that had been done in a rush just to get back on the road. Now that the itch to ride had been scratched, it was much easier to convince myself to get in there and do it right.

The switch I had been using was shorted out. This was one of the systems I had to bypass in the field on my ride through the Blue Ridge, and I didn't want to have to do it again. I got five industrial rocker switches, and ened up just putting four on the dash. Each one was wired up with 14 AWG, wires labelled and run back to the seat compartment. I assigned two switches, one for all lighting and one for all aftermarket dash components. The other two are labelled and run, and will be assigned to the aux fuel pump and to a power inverter.

To protect the wires from engine heat and to protect the MurphMobile from looking cruddy, I ran the wires through an old piece of conduit.

Easily accessible through Grainger, I used standard screw plate terminal blocks to create a more comprehensive wiring system. Between the block and the labels, I'll be able to go back at any time and easily understand what I did.

..not to mention how good it looks to have all the wires run in a sensible arrangement...

In order to repair the wiring issues, I drew the entire lighting circuit schematic in CAD. Once I could really visualize what I was working with it was easy, to not only get it working consistently but to incorporate the kill switch I had been so anxious to put to use. Again, I didn't take any process photos, but I just bent a piece of scrap aluminum and made a quick helmet mount for the night vision. I know it's pretty much just a novelty, but if I ever need it I can say with confidence that the whole system works real nice.