Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,573
DR650se Supermoto Done Cheap!!! Now I'm committed...

Now that I've started my project and posted it publicly I'm committed to finishing without spending much money. It's all in the title, "...Done Cheap!!!"

The whole idea is to put together a second set of wheels for my beloved DR650. What I'd like to do is add performance on the street and get back on the track for some occasional fun.
This way I can put my D606's back on my stock wheels and easily go from Dual-Sport to Supermoto+ in a matter of 20 minutes. I know, I know... the DR is no "Supermoto"... It's too heavy for a "real" Supermoto... I don't really care what the nay-sayers are preaching on the subject. I absolutely love my DR. It's cheap, simple, easy to work on, fast if you build it right, has great suspension if you set it up right, reliable, versital and just plain fun to ride... As far as the 650 class goes it's also pretty light. Anyway, that's the plan, To SM my DR for as little as possible.

I've been stewing on what course of action to take, and how far to take it... Do I hold out for 3.5" front and 4.5" rear? Should I go for spoked rims only or figure out how to rig up some 17's off a sportbike? How big of brakes do I want? How big of brakes do I need? How much am I willing to spend? How hard am I going to push this bike when it's done?
I decided for many reasons that for the DR650 and MY personal desires that I'd most like to go with a nice pair of Excels... a 19" up front and a 17 x 4.5 in back with SS over sized spokes and the works, 320mm front wave rotor, brembo caliper, and rear wave rotor and .........

Oh wait, I'm doing this cheap, so that's not gonna work. Better check Craigslist instead. Found a guy that's parting out a 1991 Suzuki GS500e. I've heard of this swap being done before so I picked up the wheels, front axle, front rotor, cush drive and a bunch of misc spacers for $75. That's what I'm talking about. $75 bucks and I'm off and running.

So this is what I'm starting with. Stock rims with BT45s for street use.

Or pull the wheels, spoon off the BT45's and on with the 606's... This pic is from before the headlight change too.

So last night after work it was time to head over to Deadbird's workshop. He's been collecting tools for a while now.... Our most recent find was a full sized, shop style bike lift. Thanks to Brad for the lift! It's now cleaned, painted and repaired. Thanks to DB (AKA: Mister Manners) for the shop and work!!!!! Couldn't accomplish this project in my tent-garage.

Pulled the bike in to the shop and put it on the lift backwards so that we could start working with the front. Pulled off the front wheel and set the GS wheel in place to see what it's gonna look like.

The axles are different sizes, the rotor is bigger... 310mm VS. 290mm,... The stock DR axle is too big for the ID of the bearings and the stock GS axle is smaller than the pinch bolts and threads on the fork legs.

Figured out that the early Katanas have a 290mm brake rotor (same size as stock DR) and it will fit on the GS wheel. This will be the cheapest and easiest way to solve the difference in size of the brake rotors. I know it would be nice to just buy a bracket to convert the DR to a 310mm front brake but nobody makes one! Damn it! So ebay is sending me a pair of 290mm rotors.. Cheapest I found was $25.00 but I had to buy both. Katanas had dual 290mm rotors and all the ebay sellers are selling in pairs so if any of you guys want to try this mod I've got a rotor for ya.

an idea of what the front will look like.

More to come...

neepuk screwed with this post 03-06-2009 at 11:30 PM
neepuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,852
Thats looking good,I was lucky finding a used set of buchanon built road wheels for my DR,We rode in a group ride together at Rio Nido last year.Ill be there again pretty fun weekend!Mine stops way harder with the 19" wheel on the front,different leverage with the smaller wheel.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,598
Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,944
Supermotoing DR's

I've moto'd my DR800. Stock hubs, new rims, new spokes.

The thing is, if you can get your hands on some 17" rims (DR800/650 rears) then you could lace the rim to a stock front hub......... Then there's no drams about bearings, spindles, spacers and disks. I did it to my son's TTR 250.
You can fit 150/60/17 to the rear and 120/60/17 to the front. A nice set of diablos would do wonders for your 650.

Shhhh...... Daisy naked in the sun......

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)
Unum bonum Centurio
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto
The thing is, if you can get your hands on some 17" rims (DR800/650 rears) then you could lace the rim to a stock front hub.........

You can fit 150/60/17 to the rear and 120/60/17 to the front. A nice set of diablos would do wonders for your 650.
I've looked down that road too... DR hubs and rims are way more than the 75 bucks I spent on the GS wheels. Thought about lacing the stock rear rim to the stock front hub and lacing a new front... But then I'd only have one set of rims when I'm done. The point is to spend as little money as possible and have two sets of wheels when I'm done.

I'll end up with my gs500 17's and my stockers when I'm done with the project.

I am making a tire size compromise... Yes, optimally it would have been nice to have found wider wheels from a different sport-bike but that would have doubled the cost. So I bought what was available for cheap. The GS wheels are only 3" wide in front and 3.5" wide in the rear. So I'll be running 110/60/17 in front and a 140 or 150/60/17 in the back. Not optimal for hardcore SM racing, but they'll do just great for the occasionaly track day; and for spirited road riding. The project is coming together but I've got to get some more detailed pics for you guys before I post mere details...
Old 03-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
The GS wheels are only 3" wide in front and 3.5" wide in the rear. So I'll be running 110/60/17 in front and a 140 or 150/60/17 in the back. Not optimal for hardcore SM racing, but they'll do just great for the occasionaly track day; and for spirited road riding.
I came to the same conclusion, but with older Katana wheels. Check the bearings, I bet you could press in some different ones and work with your stock axle.

My DR with Katana wheels:

I was kind of bumming about tire availability of the 110 and 140, until I got a set of Pirelli Sport Demons, 110/70 and 140/70. Very nice so far. The wheels had come with Dunlop 205's (in 80 series profile) and handled like ass.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #7
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Old 03-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
I was kind of bumming about tire availability of the 110 and 140, until I got a set of Pirelli Sport Demons, 110/70 and 140/70. Very nice so far. The wheels had come with Dunlop 205's (in 80 series profile) and handled like ass.
I used to do a lot of track days and some racing on my old Hawk GT so I'm pretty familiar with the tire choices for narrower rims... I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with the pilot powers in a 110/60 front and a 150/60 rear (the rear Michelins atcually measure out smaller that a 150). The rear profile may end up a little steep on the edges but I can live with that. OR I could go with the Pirelli Rosso's in a 110 and a 140 but they're bias plys instead of radials... Still trying to decide wheather to pinch on the 150 radial or ease on a 140 bias ply.... Both have a very sticky compound.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk
I used to do a lot of track days and some racing on my old Hawk GT so I'm pretty familiar with the tire choices for narrower rims... I'm thinking that I'll probably end up with the pilot powers in a 110/60 front and a 150/60 rear (the rear Michelins atcually measure out smaller that a 150).
Yeah, I went with the Sport Demons because they should have decent mileage, using it more for an upcoming road trip and general commuting. Handles pretty good.

I'll have to send a link to my friend, who I could see being interested in following this write up..... Keep it up!
Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #10
Colonel Angus
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Is this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369856 any easier, more reliable, cheaper, etc. or just a different approach. Big fan of the supermoto on the cheap, I AM one cheap bastard.
Colonel Angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
1st generation sv650s front rim has the right bearings and right size rotor, just so you know. I used some fender washers to center the wheel. The brake rotor is the same as the gs500 but the sv wheel had 2 of them! I had a writeup on it at supermotojunkie dot com. I got the tm40 carb and rear wheel complete from procycle.us
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #12
farixrc
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6
I came to the same conclusion, but with older Katana wheels. Check the bearings, I bet you could press in some different ones and work with your stock axle.

My DR with Katana wheels:

What years of Katana wheels will work like the ones that you used? There is a set on ebay for a 03/04?
farixrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #13
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by farixrc
What years of Katana wheels will work like the ones that you used? There is a set on ebay for a 03/04?
Not sure if those will work. I know that the pre 97 Katanas (3.0" front, 3.5" rear) work with some modification. Stands to reason that a lot of wheels *may* fit with modification, some are easier than others I'm sure.

I'm a slacker and bought my wheelset ready to bolt on (mostly) right down to the DRZ400SM housing (with 650 input gear) that makes the speedo read somewhat accurately.

I did have to do a bit of clearancing of the calipers so the floating buttons wouldn't hit it, same with the rear rotor. One of these days I'll get some kind of accurate measuring device and post some numbers. But I'm lazy.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #14
STARSKEY
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 339
Old 03-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamoto
I've moto'd my DR800. Stock hubs, new rims, new spokes.

That is badass!
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote