Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #1831
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 704
This might be obvious but be sure you get a battery with the positive on the left like your OEM. This is opposite from most batteries out there.
guavadude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:34 PM   #1832
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,167
This is the only battery I run in all my motorcycles.I have yet to have one fail in five years,or fail to start.I don't do any charging of any kind.One of my bikes sat six months on a 3 year old Scorpion and started right up without question.It's not uncommon for my bikes to sit for 3 months at a time without being started up.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #1833
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
mounted a h/l mesh brkt up

a hepco becker type
easy 10 minute job
Old 11-10-2013, 12:26 AM   #1834
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

worked on the led brkt set up as well
have bent these up

then looked like

and test bolted them on here

a little close to the blinker so have got 2 shorter ones made and will get them up soon

dunc59 screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 01:52 AM
dunc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:25 AM   #1835
mosey.levy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc59 View Post
mounted a h/l mesh brkt up

a hepco becker type
easy 10 minute job
Nice! Led and light guard look great.
Which windshield are you using ?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #1836
dunc59
Gnarly Adventurer

the givi
on this thread page here just scroll down a few posts
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...60254&page=103
Old 11-10-2013, 05:50 AM   #1837
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowto View Post
Forgive me for barging in on a conversation, it is MB12U By Mottobatt. I use it in my Sertao and it is perfect. $82 in the US.
Thanks! I got in late & rolling slow... that's the number of Motobatt that fits our bikes & obviously it "fits",thus reason for my posting. The MotoBatt is a universal mount battery in that it has 2 +'s & 2 -'s, you just pop the red or black caps off that suit your purpose,mount the brass fixture brackets with enclosed SS screws & hex wrench(put it in the bike's tool kit for road use!) & then drop it in.
No acid cause it's AGM & sealed, charged & ready to go,fresh from it's Chinese birth. My relatively new 2012 MC with under 3k had had the battery replaced under warranty just before my purchase when 1st owner had hot start issue fixed per service bulletin . Now on its' 3rd battery & my point is to say that this new born bike had some slight corrosion on the flat head screws holding the battery tray in spite of new born status. They are not SS as I used a small stiff brush to clean them up & sprayed with battery terminal corrosion preventative. BMW bikes I like but I must say the Mfg is no different than most in that it will do most anything to save a penny on some components!
www.batterymart.com
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #1838
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
This is the only battery I run in all my motorcycles.I have yet to have one fail in five years,or fail to start.I don't do any charging of any kind.One of my bikes sat six months on a 3 year old Scorpion and started right up without question.It's not uncommon for my bikes to sit for 3 months at a time without being started up.
If my memory serves me, the OK "battery guru" here on "ADV battery thread"(read it all if you can!) he sort of owns- he states that an AGM holds for ~ 6 months at a lick
The red/black lights are the same ones I just mtd , except mine are all black & obviously from same Chinese factory0ebay for $34 each w/ 10w Cree led's. Mine are mounted to 1/4"x1" alu bar stock brkt mtd under the upperfender to 2 of those 4 screws. I'll post a pic if someone will relay it as I don't have a pic host spot. Pm me for email
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 11-10-2013 at 06:01 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #1839
Col rides to france
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Location of heated grip plug on wiring loo

Hi guys and girls, I have a 2012 uk model, owned since last year, that I have racked up 11,000 faultless miles on.

No ABS, or heated grips or hazard lights on mine.

I have made a sat nav bracket, located off of the Touratech adjustable screen bracket.

Could someone tell me where the heated grips plug into the loom, as I think that would made for a neater and simpler connection for the Tom Tom.

thanks.
Col rides to france is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #1840
karmatourer
STD free

Oddometer: 2,276
Thanks for that.My '09 arrives shortly and the dealer has ordered the decompression lever already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylongway View Post
Hey Guys,
Off subject now but just chiming back in from page 113 on the wife's 09..

what sounded like the hot start thing turned out to be 4 error codes??

which he said he had never seen that many on this bike?

Cleared the codes and gave it a new up date tune on the hard drive.

Wife took it for a test ride and all fixed!! She said it has some more pep in first gear ,like wowwww neally.

So you may want to ask the dealer about this new flash tune, just for FYI...

karmatourer screwed with this post 11-12-2013 at 09:27 PM
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #1841
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoldie View Post
I have been riding since 1966, and this is my favorite do everything bike. Because of its versatility, I am now down to one bike.
This is what I like to hear. Someone with a long history of riding speaking simply. I won't be getting a new bike until next summer, but several models keep vying for attention (the G650GS being one of them).

One question. My wife is trying to steer me away from a single cylinder engine. She claims the ride quality at speed for longer trips is a deal killer. I've never spent any time on a single. Her experience is from a little Suzuki GZ250.
LPRoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM   #1842
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
The G650GS is probably the most comfortable single on the market. Take that for what you will. It goes all day at 75-80 comfortably, but is it a big twin? No.

That said, there's a handful of guys in the Sertao thread that have both the R1200GS and the G650GS. One of them is apparently selling the 1200 because he enjoys the 650 so much. "Fell in love with the Sertao. Light, fast, handles great. It takes a little time to tune it right but when it's done it's perfect for what it is. So comfy on the road I can say at least 80% of the comfort level of the R1200GS." His words not mine, and I've never traveled on a 1200 so I can't verify that statement, but I thought it was worth mentioning.
ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #1843
SnakeBreak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPRoad View Post

One question. My wife is trying to steer me away from a single cylinder engine. She claims the ride quality at speed for longer trips is a deal killer. I've never spent any time on a single. Her experience is from a little Suzuki GZ250.
Well it is not a Goldwing, but it has better long trip characteristics than many V-twins. My KTM 990ADV has more vibration at speed for example. I think you will find wind protection more of an issue than the single cylinder on long rides.
SnakeBreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #1844
LPRoad
Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 270
Thanks. I will admit I do not have as sensitive a posterior as my wife, so I will take that into account as well
LPRoad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1845
ctoldie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBreak View Post
Well it is not a Goldwing, but it has better long trip characteristics than many V-twins. My KTM 990ADV has more vibration at speed for example. I think you will find wind protection more of an issue than the single cylinder on long rides.
A Madstadt windshield and winglets solve the wind problem. This combination
almost puts you in a vacuum. Wind on your arms only with absolutely no helmet buffeting.
The longest day on my 650 has been 9 1/2 hours, a combination of dirt roads, back roads, and highways. This bike is comfortable on all of the above.
ctoldie is offline   Reply With Quote