http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...cout-rear-tire
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 PM   #452
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Heidenau's PR dept might want to label it a 50-50 but that doesn't make it one.

Look at the tread difference between a K60 and a TKC-80, which actually is a 50-50.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #453
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Heidenau's PR dept might want to label it a 50-50 but that doesn't make it one.

Look at the tread difference between a K60 and a TKC-80, which actually is a 50-50.
Umm ... yeah, look at the tread difference of the tyres you listed and posted pics of. You're calling all those notably different tyres 50-50s. In any case, I don't think it's gonna make much difference if someone calls a tyre a 50-50 or a 80-20 or a 67.3-32.7 (wait ... let me check my math ... yep, okay).
Old 10-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #454
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
Umm ... yeah, look at the tread difference of the tyres you listed and posted pics of. You're calling all those notably different tyres 50-50s. In any case, I don't think it's gonna make much difference if someone calls a tyre a 50-50 or a 80-20 or a 67.3-32.7 (wait ... let me check my math ... yep, okay).
The IRC GP1s look more aggressive in life than in pics, They are very grippy on hard rocky surfaces. T63s are the best in mud and TKC-80s fall right in the middle between the GP1s and T63s. What matters most is what kind of offroad conditions you'd be riding in.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #455
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by matloik View Post
In any case, I don't think it's gonna make much difference if someone calls a tyre a 50-50 or a 80-20 or a 67.3-32.7 (wait ... let me check my math ... yep, okay).
Yeah doesn't matter... its just a general idea... some better suited for both, some more for off road and some good for asphalt... I suppose a better question instead of asking about a good 50/50 tire is....

Recommendations for a tire that is great off-road ( intermediate difficulty.. no real mud, hard dirt and rocks ) and also safely handle asphalt for commuting to work during the week and or travelling to destinations.

I have the K60 and TKC 80 on my short list.

Cheers & Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #456

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzo View Post
FYI

Talked to my dealer today and they have received a service bulletin about the decompression lever. It basically said some bikes just turn over without firing because of the decompression lever. My bike is going in soon because I've had the same thing happen.

Did you take it in yet, and did they resolve the issue? I've had the same problem and have told my dealer about it but they claim that my bike already has the new decompression lever part in it because they measured the part.....

After that my bike would not start at all after filling it up at a gas station and I had to have it towed to the dealer. The dealer found that the fuel injector was all gummed up, and they replaced it. At first they blamed it on me saying I put bad gas in the bike, then they blamed all the ethanol and detergents in all gas, but claim that high octane is better for the bike, they also said I should buy an expensive bottle of gas treatment and use it every 1,000 miles. I told them had I known that it requires premium and a special gas treatment, I wouldn't have bought this bike. The book says 87 octane is fine.

The bike starts now after they replaced the fuel injector but it only has 2,200 miles on it.. I haven't had a chance to test whether my hot start problem is also resolved yet, but I'm not sure if these issues were related because I've had problems with hot starting since the bike had only 100 miles on it...

Anyone else have to have their fuel injector replaced?
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #457
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Hmmmm. I'm at about 12,500 miles and had trouble starting after gassing up this morning. It happened a couple tanks ago and I chalked it up to randomness but now I have to wonder. In both cases I just waited maybe 30 seconds while running through the standard things -- kickstand up/down, shift into neutral, cycle kill switch, etc. -- and it started up.

Could this be a symptom of the decompression lever issue?
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #458
Tiago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Mine is like brand new, but I've had to press the kill switch a couple of times to have it starting. Once that's done, it fires right up. If it stays like this, it's a quirk I can happily live with
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #459
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
I took my Sertao to the dealer about 6 weeks ago to file a complaint about the hard starting problems. It was a Saturday and the two guys in the service department were sitting at the counter on stools. Not exactly looking busy. They seemed like it was a lot of trouble to write up the complaint, but after I persisted they did and said they would get back to me. They said they had not heard of any hard starting problems like that. But when I told them BMW was looking at the decompression lever they admitted to replacing one for a customer. I have called them four times. Finally I talked to the service manager. He looked up the complaint and called me back saying BMW had just replied back to them yesterday on it. Wow! BMW has high tech bikes but they must use notes in a bottle for communications. Any way he says BMW told them to check the valve clearences. I said is that all? I can check those myself but that would not explain the hard starting problem I'm having. If the valves were too tight as in not closed it would not fire or if they were too snug it would start fine cold and be hard to start hot. When I explained how the decompression lever could malfunction and cause the problems I'm having he mumbled BMW said to check that too. He also mumbled about the complaint not being understood or filed correctly by the service tech I originally talked to. This does not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.
I would like to add that the service manager said BMW has not heard of any hard starting complaints from any of their dealers? I did mention it is a common forum topic here at ADV and on the MOA forum and I could not believe BMW has not heard of this hard starting problem on the G650s.

gus screwed with this post 10-25-2012 at 03:16 PM
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #460
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Gus, I have a '10 G650GS...same engine that you have. I had some problems when the bike was brand new and they all came down to a bad battery. BMW would not recognize the battery as being bad, it tested out OK on the load tester at the dealer. I replaced the OEM battery with a gel cell one from Batteries Plus and since then have had no problems. That was $100 well spent. If you are as anal as I am you could also replace the - lead from battery to ground with one with larger wire so you have better current flow for the entire system. www.motolectric.com makes a kit for most bikes that will help the starter spin the engine faster for a better start. All I know is that the last 20 months have been painless since I changed the battery and the wire.

If the dealer says he will check the valves you should let him. It's a real PITA job because you have to take off so much stuff to just get down to the head. If they will do it on their dime...go for it!

Peter Y.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #461
gus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 816
I have different starting problems.

1) start bike cold and ride to gas station just a few miles.Symptom: bike spins over but does not start. Solution. open the throttle 1/3 to 1/2 and then it will start.

2) stop bike at operating temp. Symptom: push start button and motor bogs and starter stalls. Solution: let off button for a few seconds and push button again. Starter gets another run at pushing piston past TDC on the compression stroke and it makes it past, spins motor and fires up.

3) Go to start bike in the morning, temp is 63-69 deg. F. Symptom bike spins over easy but no fire. Maybe pops once, then just spins motor but no fire. Come home from work bike starts right up. After three days in a row battery voltage is to low to start bike but spins motor over good. Solution: recharge battery.

Bogging the motor and spinning the motor strains the battery causing the lead acid battery to sulfate and corrodes the cables. I have cleaned them several times. Even at the 600 mile service they had corrosion.

For $10K the bike should come with a good battery and cables.
gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #462
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Starting

I had a huge starting problem when mine was new... but the more mileage i racked up the better it got... I asked my dealer about it and he admitted some had issues and said if the problem persisted to bring it in for a warranty ( he mumbled something about the chamber and engine temperature ) repair.

Actually since then, it hasn't happened once!
3000km later i haven't had a start up issue... "knock on wood"
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #463
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by alter View Post
Did you take it in yet, and did they resolve the issue? I've had the same problem and have told my dealer about it but they claim that my bike already has the new decompression lever part in it because they measured the part.....

After that my bike would not start at all after filling it up at a gas station and I had to have it towed to the dealer. The dealer found that the fuel injector was all gummed up, and they replaced it. At first they blamed it on me saying I put bad gas in the bike, then they blamed all the ethanol and detergents in all gas, but claim that high octane is better for the bike, they also said I should buy an expensive bottle of gas treatment and use it every 1,000 miles. I told them had I known that it requires premium and a special gas treatment, I wouldn't have bought this bike. The book says 87 octane is fine.

The bike starts now after they replaced the fuel injector but it only has 2,200 miles on it.. I haven't had a chance to test whether my hot start problem is also resolved yet, but I'm not sure if these issues were related because I've had problems with hot starting since the bike had only 100 miles on it...

Anyone else have to have their fuel injector replaced?
Are you back yet from the trip?

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 AM   #464

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k View Post
Are you back yet from the trip?

Yes I am back :) Driving in Bangkok really sucked. There are millions of scooters with tires smaller than my bicycle weaving in and out of traffic inches away while they are talking on the cell phone and holding a baby. I saw a family of four on a single scooter too, it was pretty nuts.

Got my bike back too. Starts up ok after they replaced the fuel injector but I'm worried it will just get gummed up again. It seems like BMW is aware of this issue but not doing anything about it.
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #465
panglao
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
My G650GS

Here's my 2009 G650GS, a few mod's that I like.

1. I changed the front sprocket to a 15T - I love it, more low down torque, better for low speed off road, in the curve's it's in a better power band,I got better gas, on average 60-65MPG, sure it revs a bit higher, but I don't do hundreds of miles of highway.

2. I love the two PIAA lights - I think they look cool, hopefully I will be seen better as well.

3. Footpegs, I changed to the Fasyway Evolution 3 pegs, much better for standing on, you can also adjust height/forward/back

4. TT - Fairing guards - I chose these as I can still add the BMW engine guard, some inmates prefer the MoTech one's

Some mods i don't really like:

Windscreen - when I first got the bike, I ordered the Z-Technik - but it didn't fit, couldn't turn the bars full lock, (they now include the mirror extenders, but I wasn't going to pay another $60) So I got the BMW, should have got the Cee Bailey

The cases - I got the BMW Vario, if I had to choose today, I would get something different, they are nice, but the "vario" gets stuck, one has warped, and difficult to load content, stuff gets caught in the lid

Things on the list I want to add:

Change to TKC -80's
Add the Engine Guard
Add a topcase - Givi Trekker?
Hand guards

This is my first ever bike, I really love it,

had a few issues - an oil leak at 36 miles !!!! the Valve Cover gasket, sticky throttle with the heaters on, an oil seal by the gear shifter

cheers

Tim

ps I hope the photolink works
panglao is offline   Reply With Quote