Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 AM   #541
dazz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidc83 View Post
Weird, I have a 2009 G650gs which I bought new in April 2009 and I have never had the hot start issue, now with 31,000 miles on the ODO.
I have had the dying issue without keeping the RPMs up before (about 5 times during those 31,000). After a bunch of research and realizing what I did, while starting, do not tough the throttle, and when you turn the key on, wait until the yellow light stops flashing. If you even nudge the throttle when pushing the start button, you are telling the computer that idle is at the point of the throttle when you started, so when you then go to idle, the computer is reading below 0 and dies. The TBS (throttle body sensor) will reset itself after a certain amount of time, or you can force it by disconnecting the battery or resetting it by the throttle: turn key on, do not push start button, do WOT 2-3 times, turn key off, wait 2 minutes, then start the bike, should be good to go.
Morning DavidC83. To force the relearning do you need to take the battery out? (disconnect it). Can you not just pull whichever fuse that controls that electronic item? Is it the motronic? It would be easier just to pull ALL the fuses rather than disconnect the battery.
Ohio, USA
'Falling off motorcycles since 1963'
dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #542
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Exhaust

Peter, Let me know how it works out I am looking at ordering the same one... will be a bit lighter than the OE one and apparently a few extra horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
Thanks Peter -- I recall reading your writeup when you posted it. Here's the Leo Vince setup I've been considering (looks really similar) and at $319 shipped for the stainless steel version the price is great:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/l...50gs-2011-2012

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #543
Davidc83
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz View Post
Morning DavidC83. To force the relearning do you need to take the battery out? (disconnect it). Can you not just pull whichever fuse that controls that electronic item? Is it the motronic? It would be easier just to pull ALL the fuses rather than disconnect the battery.
It might be easier, but I dont like messing with fuses (I only remove them if they blow-which I have never had done on a motorcycle); I know loosening one cable on the battery is easy and I have used the WOT throttle method with success each time.
Davidc83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #544
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 435
I had an awesome morning at Rowher Flats! 56 miles of dirt and 30 miles each way to get there. Everything worked perfectly today, and I was amazed by the new Continental Trail Attacks. Night and day on the freeway vs. the OEM Bridgestones, and very good on rocky hardpack fire roads.

reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #545
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
There's a You Tube walk around video of the 2013 G (yellow) at the Toronto show and it's being shown with spoked wheels. Anyone know why?

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #546
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrt View Post
There's a You Tube walk around video of the 2013 G (yellow) at the Toronto show and it's being shown with spoked wheels. Anyone know why?
I heard it was now offered as an option.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #547
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Windshield

If anyone is thinking about the tall windshield option I did a comparison with the two BMW options.

Cheers

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #548
trrt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
If anyone is thinking about the tall windshield option I did a comparison with the two BMW options.
Interesting, thanks!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Ride a White Swan, or a White G650GS 2011
trrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #549
Backwardsit
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Anyone know of alternatives to the BMW clutch lever. Dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever. BMW say They don't sell the clutch lever only and I need to pay $165 for the whole clutch lever and assembly.

2013 G650GS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Backwardsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #550
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwardsit View Post
Anyone know of alternatives to the BMW clutch lever. Dropped the bike and broke the clutch lever. BMW say They don't sell the clutch lever only and I need to pay $165 for the whole clutch lever and assembly.

2013 G650GS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I believe anything from 05 to present 650 levers will fit. We purchased a $12 clutch lever from Parts Unlimited that fit wifes '07 perfect.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1907649...Types&var=sbar
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #551
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Hello,

I have a 2012 G650GS and have put about 2500 miles on it so far. Usually my gas light was coming on around 155 miles give or take. Recently one morning when the bike was ideling the gas light came on and then went off and ever since it has not come back on. Now I have stretched the miles to about 187 - 190 before refueling. Still no gas light and my tank took exactly 3.8 gallons of gas when filled and on top of that I had recently added a MRA wind screen to replace the stock winshield.

My manual states usable fuel qty approx 3.7, reserve fuel qty 1.1 So do I have a 3.7 total gallons of gas or 4.8 ??
Im trying to figure out if Im getting possibly more MPG from the MRA windshield or if Im haveing a gas light failure. I should be recieving a MSR gas bottle today in the mail for some spare gas to carry with me to find out the hard way if my gas light will come on..
Any input is appreciated.
PACK RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #552
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
Hello,

I have a 2012 G650GS and have put about 2500 miles on it so far. Usually my gas light was coming on around 155 miles give or take. Recently one morning when the bike was ideling the gas light came on and then went off and ever since it has not come back on. Now I have stretched the miles to about 187 - 190 before refueling. Still no gas light and my tank took exactly 3.8 gallons of gas when filled and on top of that I had recently added a MRA wind screen to replace the stock winshield.

My manual states usable fuel qty approx 3.7, reserve fuel qty 1.1 So do I have a 3.7 total gallons of gas or 4.8 ??
Im trying to figure out if Im getting possibly more MPG from the MRA windshield or if Im haveing a gas light failure. I should be recieving a MSR gas bottle today in the mail for some spare gas to carry with me to find out the hard way if my gas light will come on..
Any input is appreciated.
Sounds to me like a failure of the warning light system. I've got about 13,500 miles on mine and never have I made it to 190 miles without the light coming on. Mine consistently comes on between 150 & 160.

3.7 is your total fuel capacity, and the light comes on when you've got about 1.1 of that remaining.

I average 60mpg. 3.7-1.1=2.6 gallons, multiply that by 60 mpg and you get 156 miles, which is where the light always comes on.

You should take it to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:37 AM   #553
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds to me like a failure of the warning light system. I've got about 13,500 miles on mine and never have I made it to 190 miles without the light coming on. Mine consistently comes on between 150 & 160.

3.7 is your total fuel capacity, and the light comes on when you've got about 1.1 of that remaining.

I average 60mpg. 3.7-1.1=2.6 gallons, multiply that by 60 mpg and you get 156 miles, which is where the light always comes on.

You should take it to the dealer and have it repaired under warranty.

Thanks,

Back to dealer she will go. I mentioned the warning light failure last time to the service tech when the bike was in for the warm start issue but it had a full tank of gas at the time. They said they couldnt replicate the problem. I will be sure to turn the bike in with about 180 miles on her.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #554
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
Thanks,

Back to dealer she will go. I mentioned the warning light failure last time to the service tech when the bike was in for the warm start issue but it had a full tank of gas at the time. They said they couldnt replicate the problem. I will be sure to turn the bike in with about 180 miles on her.
Did they try to replicate the problem? They would have had to drain the fuel (or joyride your bike for 180 miles!).
Old 12-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #555
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Quote:
Did they try to replicate the problem? They would have had to drain the fuel (or joyride your bike for 180 miles!).

They said they drained it but i have my doubts....