Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 11:41 PM   #571
corniilius
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Finally, a G 650 GS forum. Here is a pic of my brand new 2013.
corniilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:21 AM   #572
Dash2
Always Learning

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
Thanks for the pic dash2. Ya thats the same white and blue wire on my bike that has the nick in it so it is a possibility reckon.
no problem, hope it helps.

nice bike corniilius, i like the yellow
Dash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #573
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Originally Posted by PACK RAT
Hello,

I have a 2012 G650GS and have put about 2500 miles on it so far. Usually my gas light was coming on around 155 miles give or take. Recently one morning when the bike was ideling the gas light came on and then went off and ever since it has not come back on. Now I have stretched the miles to about 187 - 190 before refueling. Still no gas light and my tank took exactly 3.8 gallons of gas when filled

Quote:
Originally Posted by africa twin View Post
I had exactly the same thing happen to mine except I did run out of gas and coasted to a stop. I haven't been into the dealer yet so I'd be interested to hear how it turns out. What's interesting is that when I turn my ignition switch on and the system runs its warning light check the fuel light does light so it must be the sender unit.
[QUOTE=africa twin;20252491]

Originally Posted by Dash2
i had this problem on my 2011g. pull the seat off and there is a rubber boot for the sending unit in the fuel tank. look in the opening for the connector to the sending unit. there will be a broken wire. i had to point it out to the dealer after they didnt duplicate the problem.

[/IMG]

I made it to the BMW dealer after work to inform them that my low fuel light still has not appeared since the last time my bike was in the shop about the above indicated problem. I showed the tech the white and blue wire that had the nick in it and as soon as he pulled the connector out it snapped off. The problem is it snapped off right against the black connector to where there is no extra wire to make the repair. So he is in the process of trying to find another black connector or they will have to replace the intire wire harness. I should find out today or tomorrow. Thanks again Dash2 for the info. Who knows what BMW would have or would have not done with out me pointing it out to them.
PACK RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #574
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 424
After thinking I had my electrical issues finally sorted (and a couple weeks of flawless daily use) I got stranded at the gas station last night. Twenty mile ride (so fully up to temperature), stop for a few minutes to gas up, and no restart. Engine cranks and cranks strong and for a long duration, but it just won't even sputter. Luckily, it was the gas station 100m from my house, so I let it cool for a half hour, went back, and it fired up at the first touch of the button.

This problem is almost exclusively tied with refueling -- only once out of my many hot non-starts has it been otherwise.
reenmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #575
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Its sad to see all these BMW dealerships not wanting replace the decompression lever. I got lucky my dealership replaced mine with no hasseles. Keep bugging the shiiiite out of them!!!!!

PACK RAT screwed with this post 01-27-2013 at 02:20 PM
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #576
Col rides to france
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Rear Box - Top box, and seat latch access

Hello everyone, I just collected my 2012 G650GS and am loving it.

As I use it almost daily, and often to commute in London, England, I often need to carry items.

Apart from the tres expensive BMW top box, what other cheaper-home made solutions have people found for a top box that still allows access to the seat latch hidden in the small, rear, locking compartment behind the seat.
Col rides to france is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #577
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
Its sad to see all these BMW dealerships not wanting replace the lever compresion valve.I got lucky my dealership replaced mine with no hasseles. Keep bugging the shiiiite out of them!!!!!
I did today. They are ordering the parts to do the decompression fix this time.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #578
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I did today. They are ordering the parts to do the decompression fix this time.

Thats good to hear!!!! Mine has started up like a champ everytime since the fix...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:06 AM   #579
impalla62ss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hello All, I just purchased a 2011 G650GS and will post a picture once I get the accessories installed.

After reading through the forum I see many reccomendations to upgrade the seat.

I see a lot about the seat consepts rebuild, but not a lot about the Sergeant rebuild.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...53&id=11367352
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....it.A/id.673/.f

The Sergeant is a lot more expensive.

Has anyone had the Seargent rebuild done, and is it worth the extra money?
impalla62ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #580
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by impalla62ss View Post
I see a lot about the seat consepts rebuild, but not a lot about the Sergeant rebuild.

http://www.seatconcepts.com/products...53&id=11367352
http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....it.A/id.673/.f

The Sergeant is a lot more expensive.

Has anyone had the Seargent rebuild done, and is it worth the extra money?
Some people like Seargent, some like Corbin, some like Russell Day Long, others swear by Seat Concepts. It's really an ass by ass project. What fits me could well be torture for you. I have a Corbin on my '10 G650GS and love it. The seat is firm but shaped in such a way that I am OK with a 400+ mile day. I'm tired but my ass is not screaming like it would be from the OEM seat. The Corbin did not use my stock pan so I still have that just to remind myself of what real torture is. Just for grins, put 100 miles on your new bike with the stock seat. If you are still comfortable just keep it for a while and when you meet other G650 riders take a sit on their bikes to see how those seats feel. I'm betting you will find the stock seat not to your liking and so much so that you make a change pretty quickly. As far as I am concerned, the seat fit is the most important mod you can do for long term happiness with any motorcycle.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #581
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col rides to france View Post
Hello everyone, I just collected my 2012 G650GS and am loving it.

As I use it almost daily, and often to commute in London, England, I often need to carry items.

Apart from the tres expensive BMW top box, what other cheaper-home made solutions have people found for a top box that still allows access to the seat latch hidden in the small, rear, locking compartment behind the seat.
I have a wire that goes through the latch handle and hangs out behind so I can pull the latch and remove the seat without removing items on top.

I'm using two dry bags that I strap on top. A 30 liter that stays on the bike with tubes, tools, air pump, rain suit, jacket and pants liners and water.
Then I use an 80 liter Sealine dry duffel for camping gear and clothes.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:04 AM   #582
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Wtd, lowered rear shock (near Mexico pref)

Hi guys,
A friend I'm riding with has blown her rear shock and needs a replacement (F650GS 2005) its the lowered version.
We're in Puerto Escondido, Mexico for the Christmas holidays, so one close to here would be fantastic and probably too much to hope for ;)
Any of you lot out there got anything?

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #583
Boats313
Adventurer

Home made Top Rack

I had been looking at getting a top rack and case, but being as cheap as I am, I kept putting it off. So when I found a scrap piece of aluminum plate, I decided to see what I could do myself.

It is 5/16th aluminum, it was 16 inches x 12 inches. I cut the sides at an angle, so the back is now 12 inches wide.

Unfortunately my guide was slipping when I cut the slots along the side, so I free handed most of them. I also free handed cutting the middle out. I used a router with a 1/4 inch bit to make the cuts. Standard cheap wood bit does a good job cutting the plate.

I cut a piece of UHMWPE for the spacer, I had some round nylon spacers under each bolt hole but wanted to support the plate better and prevent it from racking.

Now I just need to find the right box for a top case and I'll be all set.

Boats313 screwed with this post 12-22-2012 at 08:20 PM Reason: bigger pictures are always better
Boats313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:39 AM   #584
nytrashman
old and in the way

Oddometer: 576
i picked up a 2009 G650GS for my daughter yesterday. she completed the MSF course over the summer and this is her first bike. here is a pic of the happy new owner with her bike.

nytrashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #585
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrashman View Post
i picked up a 2009 G650GS for my daughter yesterday. she completed the MSF course over the summer and this is her first bike. here is a pic of the happy new owner with her bike.
Wow! Enjoy riding together!