Denser NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:54 PM   #617
reenmachine
Rain or Shine

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denser NL View Post
Brave to go solo...I won't do that anymore offroad after this:

To clarify, I was traveling solo but this is a somewhat popular destination, especially around a holiday when people have time to get away. I knew there would be other traffic on the road if I got myself in too deep (reference to your photo ). By "traffic" I mean that I encountered 3 or 4 4x4s on the 55 miles out.

This is a pretty remote place that can be difficult to get to, and those who pass are usually well-equipped desert adventure enthusiasts willing and eager to help, as I have done for others many times in the past.

I am also very familiar with the route, and was equipped to survive for probably a week if I had to. So, it was a calculated risk.
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #618
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
To clarify, I was traveling solo but this is a somewhat popular destination, especially around a holiday when people have time to get away. I knew there would be other traffic on the road if I got myself in too deep (reference to your photo ). By "traffic" I mean that I encountered 3 or 4 4x4s on the 55 miles out.

This is a pretty remote place that can be difficult to get to, and those who pass are usually well-equipped desert adventure enthusiasts willing and eager to help, as I have done for others many times in the past.

I am also very familiar with the route, and was equipped to survive for probably a week if I had to. So, it was a calculated risk.
You have BIG BRASS ones my friend.. LOL If my bike has racks by next spring maybe I will follow you out..
PACK RAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #619
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denser NL View Post
Brave to go solo...I won't do that anymore offroad after this:

Just curious, how did you get it out??
Old 12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #620
seth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PACK RAT View Post
looks nice man!! Cant wait for my pipe to come in. Should be here sometime this week. I keep telling my self OK this is the last farkle for awhile, I have to chill out and save some money.. LOL
Thanks PACK RAT, If I could stay off of ebay and CL I would have a fortune in the bank and a completely empty garage! I am now waiting for a set of happy trail SU racks that I found on ebay that I needed like a second ass hole but they where a good deal. Happy New Year TOO ALL!!!!

P.S. What kind of pipes are you waiting for?
seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #621
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
Thanks PACK RAT, If I could stay off of ebay and CL I would have a fortune in the bank and a completely empty garage! I am now waiting for a set of happy trail SU racks that I found on ebay that I needed like a second ass hole but they where a good deal. Happy New Year TOO ALL!!!!

P.S. What kind of pipes are you waiting for?

Leo Vince LV-One EVO II Slip-On Exhaust BMW G650GS 2011-2012

Should be on my front porch on wed.. There is a couple other people in this thread waiting on one too I believe.. What was your biggest headache when removing your stock pipe. Im not that mechanically inclined so im still trying to decide if I want to tackle the removale of the stock pipe or not...
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #622
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Pack Rat, taking the stock exhaust off is really not that difficult. It helps to have a soft hammer, something that won't dent the metal. The hardest part of the whole operation is breaking the right side muffler loose from the left side cat and even that is not hard, just be patient. If you have any apprehension at all just ask a friend to help (offer good beer) and you will be surprised at how fast it goes.

Don't forget that the right side muffler is held on by a very small bolt above the muffler, it's easy to miss.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #623
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Pack Rat, taking the stock exhaust off is really not that difficult. It helps to have a soft hammer, something that won't dent the metal. The hardest part of the whole operation is breaking the right side muffler loose from the left side cat and even that is not hard, just be patient. If you have any apprehension at all just ask a friend to help (offer good beer) and you will be surprised at how fast it goes.

Don't forget that the right side muffler is held on by a very small bolt above the muffler, it's easy to miss.

Ok sorry for the size of pics, I assume your talking about the bolt on the left in the pic but what about bar coming out of the wheel well thats welded to the muffler to the right in pic. Do I have to remove the wheel well fender? I do not see a nut on the back side of it..
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2012, 07:37 PM   #624
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Evo ii

Im waiting on mine too from Revzilla... hopefully in a few days.

Quote:

Should be on my front porch on wed.. There is a couple other people in this thread waiting on one too I believe.. What was your biggest headache when removing your stock pipe. Im not that mechanically inclined so im still trying to decide if I want to tackle the removale of the stock pipe or not...

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 AM   #625
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 374
Pack Rat, that stainless steel rod that is welded to the right muffler is only held in place by the rubber grommet you see..no nut on the other side. Yes, you have found the small bolt that actually holds the muffler to the frame. I'd recommend taking a look at the parts diagram for the bike, that will make it easier to understand. I use the diagram from Max BMW: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=03252011

Peter Y.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM   #626
seth
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:

pyoungbl has great advice, be patient and having an extra set of hands, would not hurt. The right can comes off first with one bolt and some light tapping from center out. Be careful not to dent the can. It is easy to do, I put a tiny dent in mine. It is much heavier then it looks, so when it gets free be ready. The left can was a little more challenging for me. Where the exhaust comes together under the clamp was very tight and took a few minutes to get it to free up and the rubber grommet that the left can hangs from was stuck in place like it was glued, I gave it a squirt of PB blaster and wiggled it till it freed up. The left can is also heavier then it looks.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
seth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #627
PACK RAT
Adventurer

Pack Rat, that stainless steel rod that is welded to the right muffler is only held in place by the rubber grommet you see..no nut on the other side. Yes, you have found the small bolt that actually holds the muffler to the frame. I'd recommend taking a look at the parts diagram for the bike, that will make it easier to understand. I use the diagram from Max BMW: http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...3&rnd=03252011

Peter Y.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seth View Post
pyoungbl has great advice, be patient and having an extra set of hands, would not hurt. The right can comes off first with one bolt and some light tapping from center out. Be careful not to dent the can. It is easy to do, I put a tiny dent in mine. It is much heavier then it looks, so when it gets free be ready. The left can was a little more challenging for me. Where the exhaust comes together under the clamp was very tight and took a few minutes to get it to free up and the rubber grommet that the left can hangs from was stuck in place like it was glued, I gave it a squirt of PB blaster and wiggled it till it freed up. The left can is also heavier then it looks.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Ok thanks guys for all the help, I think Im good to go. I might be able to work on it this weekend if not the following. I already talked to a buddy of mine who can lend a hand. I will post some pics when I get the new pipe on. Thanks again for all your time and help, its greatly appreciated..
Old 01-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #628
Denser NL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Just curious, how did you get it out??
Towing truck......I got stuk 20 meters away from the tarmac .......
Denser NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM   #629
PACK RAT
Adventurer

[/IMG]

BAM!!!! Merry Xmas to me..
Old 01-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #630
tkatler
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Single Exhaust on Sertao

I just ordered the GPR exhaust to replace the stock exhaust. I thought I saw some kind of case that mounts where the stock, right side exhaust used to be but now I can't find it. Has anyone seen this? It's a plastic tube basically the same dimension as the right muffler. Thanks!
tkatler is offline   Reply With Quote