Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 09:21 AM   #781
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajafrenzy View Post
Haven't heard this about all fuel injected models being fixed and searches I've done haven't shown this to be true. That being said, this is kicking the proverbial dead horse. Do a google search of broken forks advrider and threads dedicated to this topic will come up.
I did a search, but was more concerned about a timeline and a fix. The threads are what caused the question. I might be interested in these bikes.

As for kicking a dead horse, this IS a discussion forum, no?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #782
bajafrenzy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I did a search, but was more concerned about a timeline and a fix. The threads are what caused the question. I might be interested in these bikes.

As for kicking a dead horse, this IS a discussion forum, no?
Sure it is. Just trying a friendly redirect to a more appropriate thread. Once this gets brought up, it quickly digresses from a discussion to a shitstorm. Just trying to avoid that in this thread as there are already threads devoted to this topic. We enjoy coming to this thread to get warm and fuzzy feelings and drool over everyone's mods.
2002 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
1986 KTM 125SX (RIP)
bajafrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #783
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We enjoy coming to this thread to get warm and fuzzy feelings and drool over everyone's mods.
Gotcha....

Old 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #784
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 451
Broken Fork on F650

Quote:
Do a google search of broken forks advrider and threads dedicated to this topic will come up. Here's some help:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=700385
I haven't had any issues with my GS.
Golly, if you have lots of time to kill there is a 26 page discussion on the Chain Gang site...one devoted to nothing but the BMW 650 thumper in all its variations. http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php...ht=broken+fork

Note that this discussion started in 2008 so it's very old news. Oh, and I have had no problems with my G650GS either.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #785
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Nice, I just put my Leo on this past weekend... What a difference!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotz View Post
@studioe6 - seems odd. some of my friends see the pics, but some dont. lols...will repost pics later. :) im trying to figure out how to post thumbnails, so it doesnt look soooo big in the thread.

but the protection equipment i used is TT. pan guards, upper and lower crash guards. i also used bark busters hand guards cause i didnt want to buy risers and change brake lines. i also posted a pic of the leo vince slip on.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Adventure MotoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:18 PM   #786
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, like BajaFrenzie mentioned,

Also, there were a few cases up until the 2003 models from what I've researched.. and as mentioned they have since been redesigned.

One posting has made it all over the web but it's not a "bunch" of cases... It was one case and it is the same one that was referred to all the time... and even that case seems like there were other factors in play that resulted in breakage.

I used to be worried but not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Gotcha....

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 AM   #787
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioe6 View Post
Yeah, like BajaFrenzie mentioned,

Also, there were a few cases up until the 2003 models from what I've researched.. and as mentioned they have since been redesigned.

One posting has made it all over the web but it's not a "bunch" of cases... It was one case and it is the same one that was referred to all the time... and even that case seems like there were other factors in play that resulted in breakage.

I used to be worried but not anymore.
I noticed in my "quick" searches not much showed up. The more I look at these bikes, the more I like them and/or the Sertao. I'm probably a year away from being ready to buy, just starting to research so thanks for bearing with me, all.

I'll probably have more stupid questions.....

Murphy Slaw screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 05:08 AM
Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #788
Sotz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
No issues with the forks either. I saw that post some time back, but have not heard of any bike here suffering from that particular defect.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #789
ZBone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
TT Fairing Guard Review

In response to someone's question a few posts back, after several drops my experience has shown me that the TT Fairing Guards are more than adequate protection. That said, your concern about a lack of strength in the rear of the guard is warranted and on point. Several times I've had to grab a handful of one of my guards and pull it off the fairing. No damage has been caused to either fairing, but it will bend up against it in harder falls. I'm convinced that the fairing itself has been engineered to take a decent amount of damage. I've even considered removing the guards, but I bought 'em, might as well keep 'em on. In my opinion the TT guard adds enough protection so that no major damage will be caused to the fairing, but if you want a rock solid guard you may want to look at other options. Here's two of several naps Serts has taken with the bars installed.

ZBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #790
grayroamer
LTL B

Oddometer: 95
Thumb

Quote:
I just fitted my G650GS with Excel Takasago rims. YEP! Sweet!

I've fitted the front with a 21 inch front. So if you're thinking about it... It is possible. No issues what so ever. My project is coming a long nicely! I have the Leo Vince to be installed next weekend.

Wasn't sure if I would post this on here or the Sertao thread since a lot of the G650 action seems to be over there... but figured I'd post here in the end.

Sweet looking bike.
What's ballpark cost of going to spokes and 21-incher?
grayroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #791
Adventure MotoX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayroamer View Post
Sweet looking bike.
What's ballpark cost of going to spokes and 21-incher?
Like ~ $1400 USD You can spend a little less but you can also spend a little more depending on the hubs and stuff you get.

For my price I got two new Takasago Excel Rims and two BMW hubs (like new but used ) and the sets of heavy grade spokes... + assembly and trued included.

www.AdventureMotoX.com
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #792
grayroamer
LTL B

Oddometer: 95
Thumb

Quote:
Like ~ $1400 USD You can spend a little less but you can also spend a little more depending on the hubs and stuff you get.

For my price I got two new Takasago Excel Rims and two BMW hubs (like new but used ) and the sets of heavy grade spokes... + assembly and trued included.
Thanks for the reply!
grayroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #793
kid_A
who dat ninja

Oddometer: 93
Anyone ever have their GS get stuck in second? I was riding home on the interstate yesterday and I pulled off to get gas, and the thing just would not kick down into first. It was only until I started it up, got going in second and pounded on the lever that it finally went down into first. Just thought I'd ask. Probably nothing, but I didn't know if this was a prevailing issue anyone has come across.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #794
guavadude
de-composer

Oddometer: 759
I've had this happen at stops sometimes. Usually I just roll the bike forward a bit, working the clutch and I then I can shift. I wouldn't force it.
guavadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #795
Paultergeist
n00b

Oddometer: 2
In appreciation

New member here......I just wanted to say that I really appreciate stumbling upon this forum -- and this thread in particular.

I am planning (hoping) on a motorcycle purchase within the next year, and I am down to 3 candidates:

G 650 GS (BMW)
F700 GS (BMW)
650 V-Strom (Suzuki)

As I locate these sort of threads, it is really useful information to learn of the likes and dislikes encountered by others. My thanks go out to all who take the time to share their experiences and observations for the benefit of others such as myself.
Paultergeist is offline   Reply With Quote