ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
Meico640 OP
Banned

Oddometer: 264
Garmin Montana 650t

Anyone got one ?

Thoughts or advice on getting one ?
Meico640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Wallaby_Ted
You call that a bullbar?

Oddometer: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meico640 View Post
Anyone got one ?

Thoughts or advice on getting one ?
Just upgraded from my 60CS and love it. My summary is that its a merge of my 60CS and a Nuvi with the best features of both. You can customise lots of stuff.

Lots of info here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=montana+650t

www.checkingtheboundaryfence.com - The upside, down-under tour of Australia. August to September 2009
Wallaby_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
boneman660
Try Hard

Oddometer: 356
MONTANA 650t

G'day, John Hudson from APC Rally is recommending these units for the 2012 APC Rally. I am gearing my bike up for the Qld 4 day Rally coming up in April, and asked him how they were going in the field. He reckons with the RAM mount they are staying on the bikes & working a treat. I gather that they have done a deal with GPS Oz for a "package" at a good price. http://www.gpsoz.com.au/apc_2012/ $799 sounds like a lot, but might save you a lot of heartache if you get lost in the bush. Also lots of material on YouTube that will help you with your decision. Only thing is that you also need to buy "City Navigator" software (comes with Topo maps) if you want to use it in your car or in town. Good luck, Boneman.
boneman660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Wilmo
Orange Fever

Oddometer: 1,259
Doesn't sound like they are all they are supposed to be yet.....maybe a firmware update away but who knows?

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=25215

Take risks and live an extraordinary life!
Wilmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
The Montana will navigate Routes just fine. You need to put in the appropriate viapoints/waypoints so the auto-routing will shape the route the way you intended.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Bombardier1965
Ice_Man

Oddometer: 28
My wife bought me one for x-mas - what a great gift. I have a boat and always wanted a GPS that could serve me on the road, water and track. I use Tyre to plan my routes, and must say that on a recent trip tyhrough the Snowy Mountains the 650T was faithful all the way and took me exactly where I planned my way points - even if my planning was a bit off . You can read up all about it on the Garmin website, so wont quote the tech details here. But the unit is rugged and waterproof - used it a few times now on the boat as well and no problems whatsoever. Another nice feature id the 5MP camera - kicks by iPhone 4S's butt!! Really good pictures and stores geotags - so you wont forget where you took those pics. It is a bit dear, but if you are like me and invest only in the best so that it will last a looooonnnnggg time, then you cant go wrong.
Bombardier1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Auto routing

Ready to buy the 650T. Several posts in the ADV forums aren't too happy with the auto routing feature. Can this be turned off or are we stuck with it until Garmin does an update. I read DRTBYK's posting just above about being sure to include enough way-points to keep the auto routing from taking you off the trail. I am not sure I want auto routing active. Thoughts or comments?

Thanks
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #8
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helipilot View Post
Ready to buy the 650T. Several posts in the ADV forums aren't too happy with the auto routing feature. Can this be turned off or are we stuck with it until Garmin does an update. I read DRTBYK's posting just above about being sure to include enough way-points to keep the auto routing from taking you off the trail. I am not sure I want auto routing active. Thoughts or comments?

Thanks
The problem is not "Auto Routing".

The issue is that if you create a route outside of the gps and upload it to the gps, you don't want the gps itself to make changes or recalculate the route when you select it to navigate, but at the moment, that's exactly what the Montana does.

Garmin is working on allowing users to stop that recalculation, and will likely give us the solution before too long. But as DrtByk mentioned, as long as you create "Shaping Points " in your route, the gps won't recalculate it.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Thanks

Thanks for the information EmmBeeDee. That clears up the question I had. Just need to take the time to lay out the route fully with the shaping points and wait for a solution from Garmin.

Appreciate you expertise and DRTBKY's expertise in this area.
Helipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Scout_WY
Pirate

Oddometer: 118
Getting ready to jump

Just about to pull the trigger and looks like the 650T will get the nod. 2 questions.
Is it or can it be hooked up to 12v? If so is it the round 4 prong female connector?
Thanks in advance!

NRA life
Scout_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_WY View Post
Just about to pull the trigger and looks like the 650T will get the nod. 2 questions.
Is it or can it be hooked up to 12v? If so is it the round 4 prong female connector?
Thanks in advance!
Yes to 12 volts, through the mount below.

The Rugged mount is very inexpensive so you can have one on each bike if you choose to. GPSCity.com has it for $32.95, + $2.50 shipping. Keep in mind you also need the AMPS mount and the rest of of the RAM parts if you don't have the bar mount and stalk.

Click the image to go to the site.

You might want to check the humungous New Montana Thread.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Weekend Warrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I am lookimg at the Montana but not sure about which software is needed.

I assume they all come loaded with road navigation programs for the US and the 650T adds the 100K Topo to it. Is this correct or do I also have to buy the city navigator program to get road mapping?

Another question is if the 100K Topo works well for most dualsport and dirt road trips?
Weekend Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Warrior View Post
I am lookimg at the Montana but not sure about which software is needed.

I assume they all come loaded with road navigation programs for the US and the 650T adds the 100K Topo to it. Is this correct or do I also have to buy the city navigator program to get road mapping?

Another question is if the 100K Topo works well for most dualsport and dirt road trips?
None of the Montanas come with street maps built in. City Navigator is fairly cheap, in my opinion; you can find it at around $79 in most places, so you'd be best to factor that into your purchase price.

I have no idea what is on the Topo maps in the T model but I'm sure the Garmin site would have that information.

Here's the link for the Topo US 100K product. You can see the coverage there.

This should take you to the map's interactive view.

http://www8.garmin.com/cgi-bin/mapge...&rz=0&k=1&sc=1
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Str8lin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Sold my 276c and bought the 650t. Great deal through GPS City. I think it's a great replacement for the aging 276. Had it for 3 months now, on GS and in truck...seems pretty durable. Using RAM mount until Touratech carries their bombproof mount, whicch I believe deliver starts Mar 12. works well with either Mapsource or Basecamp. Taking maps and processing routes fine.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8lin View Post
Using RAM mount until Touratech carries their bombproof mount, whicch I believe deliver starts Mar 12.
The TouraTech mount still requires the Garmin Rugged Mount, and provides little benefit aside from making your wallet lighter. You might as well get the Rugged Mount now and see how well it works before you spend anything on the TT.

The Rugged Mount is really inexpensive. It's usually around $35 + shipping, but it provides a very good power source, meaning you don't have to use the fragile mini usb power connection.

Click the image to go to the GPSCity site.