ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
pasomonte
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
The TouraTech mount still requires the Garmin Rugged Mount, and provides little benefit aside from making your wallet lighter. You might as well get the Rugged Mount now and see how well it works before you spend anything on the TT.

The Rugged Mount is really inexpensive. It's usually around $35 + shipping, but it provides a very good power source, meaning you don't have to use the fragile mini usb power connection.

Click the image to go to the GPSCity site.
As near as I can tell the Touratech mount adds key lock-ability and vibration abatement. I'm not sure how the mount prevent the GPS unit from being removed. My guess is that it just prevent the Touratech mount from being removed. The little lock screw on the rugged mount does a fair job of keeping snatch and run types from taking the unit. As for vibration, I'm not sure how susceptible this unit might be. I just finished a 4000 mile run to rural NW Mexico and had zero problems of any kind with the Montana. BTW I really like the unit and recommend it.
pasomonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #17
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
The problem is not "Auto Routing".

The issue is that if you create a route outside of the gps and upload it to the gps, you don't want the gps itself to make changes or recalculate the route when you select it to navigate, but at the moment, that's exactly what the Montana does.

Garmin is working on allowing users to stop that recalculation, and will likely give us the solution before too long. But as DrtByk mentioned, as long as you create "Shaping Points " in your route, the gps won't recalculate it.
What is a "shaping point?" I'm trying to figure out my new unit.
Britome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #18
Britome
Get Free

Should I get the "trip and way point manager" add on from ?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #19
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
Should I get the "trip and way point manager" add on from ?

Trip and Waypoint Manager
is an OLD Garmin product that preceded MapSource. It did not support maps and many other features that were later added to MapSource. You don't need it.

As for your earlier question about "shaping points", your Montana does not support Shaping Points the way the zumo units do so you don't need to worry about them either. When you are creating a route in MapSource or BaseCamp just use Waypoints to make your Route path follow the roads you want it to. You can also use Via Points but they are just like Waypoints - but their only purpose is to make the route follow your intended path. Waypoints and viapoints are both sent to your GPS with the Route data. When you set a Waypoint or Viapoint just make sure that it is on a road surface (zoom in) if it is intended to be.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Britome
Get Free

Thx. You are a stud. What would I do without advrider?!
Old 03-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #21
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,245
Quote:
What is a "shaping point?" I'm trying to figure out my new unit.
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=21640

"Shaping Point - In Mapsource, to "shape" a route to go exactly where you want there are a couple of methods. Just as with the personal navigation device, you can edit the route's properties to insert Via points (these are not shaping points although they do serve a similar purpose). You can also just use the route tool to click on spots on the map to force the shape of a route. When you do that, you are using a location that is not already in one of the searchable location databases. Mapsource does not force you to add these points to any of the formal databases. It simply inserts the actual coordinates invisibly into the route. These are shaping points.

Shaping points occur in another, automatic, fashion as well. Even when you only designate a two-point route, e.g. go from Point A to Point B, there will usually be multiple places, usually intersections, where a change in direction is required. When building the route, the personal navigation device (or Mapsource/Basecamp) will automatically include all of these points in the route.

To easily illustrate this, you can create a two-point route in Mapsource by clicking on a Point A and a Point B that will require a few turns to get from one to the other. Now export the route to a GPX file and take a look at it with Notepad or your favorite text editor. You will see that, in addition to the starting point and the ending point, there will be a bunch of other points <rtept> in the file to control all the turns."
Emmbeedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
Britome
Get Free

Thank you!
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #23
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=21640

"Shaping Point - In Mapsource, to "shape" a route to go exactly where you want there are a couple of methods. Just as with the personal navigation device, you can edit the route's properties to insert Via points (these are not shaping points although they do serve a similar purpose). You can also just use the route tool to click on spots on the map to force the shape of a route. When you do that, you are using a location that is not already in one of the searchable location databases. Mapsource does not force you to add these points to any of the formal databases. It simply inserts the actual coordinates invisibly into the route. These are shaping points.

Shaping points occur in another, automatic, fashion as well. Even when you only designate a two-point route, e.g. go from Point A to Point B, there will usually be multiple places, usually intersections, where a change in direction is required. When building the route, the personal navigation device (or Mapsource/Basecamp) will automatically include all of these points in the route.

To easily illustrate this, you can create a two-point route in Mapsource by clicking on a Point A and a Point B that will require a few turns to get from one to the other. Now export the route to a GPX file and take a look at it with Notepad or your favorite text editor. You will see that, in addition to the starting point and the ending point, there will be a bunch of other points <rtept> in the file to control all the turns."
There you go getting all technical and everything. . . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
divaha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier1965 View Post
Another nice feature id the 5MP camera - kicks by iPhone 4S's butt!! Really good pictures and stores geotags - so you wont forget where you took those pics.
Like to buy the Montana 650 next week but I have never seen any pictures the camera makes. Can somebody post some examples or tell more about the quality? Thanks
divaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,263
Quote:
Thx. You are a stud. What would I do without advrider?!
I am not going to let this one die, Dan the Stud!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Stud? Well, they did put me out to pasture a few years ago - does that count?

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS

DRTBYK screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 01:25 PM
Old 04-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by divaha View Post
Like to buy the Montana 650 next week but I have never seen any pictures the camera makes. Can somebody post some examples or tell more about the quality? Thanks

My opinion of the 650 camera is that it is a bit over saturated to the Blue/Green side. This could most likely be corrected with a software update as they have "adjusted" the camera code in the past. But, it is OK for "snapshots"

Here are a few shots taken while moving on the bike last summer - Arches National Monument, UT, USA.

Here are a few quick shots around the house today - I'd like to be out on the bike but I'm grounded for a few days.

Last but not least, my old friend.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 04-27-2012, 02:48 AM   #28
Mat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Too bad I found this thread a little after I ordered a refurbished Nokia phone to at least get good street navigation cheaply. I find Nokia's navigation and maps years ahead of Garmin's, which didn't change much in the last few years if you ask me. And a phone can be bought for less than the cheapest Nuvi unit, and includes the navigation software as well as world wide road maps, always freshly updated, for free. The maps are good, too. After all, Navteq belongs to Nokia.

Forget about off-line route planning on the computer though. Couldn't figure out how to do that yet. Everything has to go through the damn cloud.

Until there is an open source platform, we will be stuck with imperfect solutions that are not sufficiently customizable I guess. But it seems the Montana really looks like it is an excellent solution getting really close, so there might be another big expense coming up...

Back on the topic of routing, why can't they just add a check box in Mapsource / basecamp to define unchangeable routes? They would require more memory than standard routes, but no one can tell me that memory in these dimensions is a problem nowadays. Since they know exactly what algorithms are used to calculate routes in all of their units as well as Mapsource / basecamp, they could minimize the amount of shape points needed.

After all, what is the point of route planning on the computer when you can't transfer them to the GPS as they were planned?
Old 05-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #29
Nata Harli
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
My opinion of the 650 camera is that it is a bit over saturated to the Blue/Green side. This could most likely be corrected with a software update as they have "adjusted" the camera code in the past. But, it is OK for "snapshots"

Here are a few shots taken while moving on the bike last summer - Arches National Monument, UT, USA.

Here are a few quick shots around the house today - I'd like to be out on the bike but I'm grounded for a few days.

Last but not least, my old friend.

Cheers,
Thanks for the shots using the camera (I especially like the last one ). I was wondering whether or not to get the Montana with the camera and decided to do it.

Just ordered a Montana 650 from GPSCity.

No, it's not a Harley , it's a BMW.
Nata Harli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #30
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

The photos ought to be even better with this latest White Balance update for the Camera.

Enjoy. . .

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS