Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
b-dubya OP
Scoot scoot scoot

Oddometer: 35
My last Chinese scooter was the same way, I had almost 10,000 miles on my previous one, and except for oil and tightening loose screws it ran great and started my love affair with two wheeled vehicles lol
b-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
There are also a number of other ride reports done by people who took long trips on really unlikely bikes. Here's one of the best from a guy who rode from Sydney to London on a CT 110:
those bikes arent "unlikely" for trips like that imo. its a honda with a super simple 110cc, it will go on forever if you dont abuse it, and even then you have to seriously abuse it. it has great fuel economy, good for the less developed countries he travelled through where fuel is scarce. you can carry a toolkit which is tiny, yet is able to completely dismantle the bike. also, any spares you do need for it will be easy to get as in those countries everyone else travels on similar bikes. and if you cant get the spares, you can bodge it yourself easily cos its so simple! also locals will know how to work on them, etc.

in my opinion an unlikely bike for travelling third world countries is a bmw 1150 or similar. there will be no spares available anywhere, no mechanic will ever have seen one before, no diagnostic or advanced equipment will be available to use on it if needed, tyre vendors wont have any tyres that size as everyone rides mopeds, and itll chug down the fuel which when you are buying fuel a litre or two at a time from locals selling it from bottles, is not an advantage. not to mention the low fuel quality which won't bother the honda.

if i was doing a trip like that i'd pick a similar bike.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #18
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forde View Post
those bikes arent "unlikely" for trips like that imo. its a honda with a super simple 110cc, it will go on forever if you dont abuse it, and even then you have to seriously abuse it. it has great fuel economy, good for the less developed countries he travelled through where fuel is scarce. you can carry a toolkit which is tiny, yet is able to completely dismantle the bike. also, any spares you do need for it will be easy to get as in those countries everyone else travels on similar bikes. and if you cant get the spares, you can bodge it yourself easily cos its so simple! also locals will know how to work on them, etc.

in my opinion an unlikely bike for travelling third world countries is a bmw 1150 or similar. there will be no spares available anywhere, no mechanic will ever have seen one before, no diagnostic or advanced equipment will be available to use on it if needed, tyre vendors wont have any tyres that size as everyone rides mopeds, and itll chug down the fuel which when you are buying fuel a litre or two at a time from locals selling it from bottles, is not an advantage. not to mention the low fuel quality which won't bother the honda.

if i was doing a trip like that i'd pick a similar bike.
You have a point. When I said "unlikely bikes" I probably should have said "considered unlikely by most riders"

Still, small scooters have their drawbacks especially in U.S. traffic. I have a 150cc scooter and am leery about taking it on roads where I can't keep up with traffic or at least cruise near the speed limit.

BTW here is an outstanding ride report which is ongoing at this time by a couple riding RTW on a couple of Sym Symbas: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dubya View Post
Fellow Georgian lol may I ask you if you have a favorite route out of ga, possibly to Tennessee or Alabama? This has been the hardest part so far. Thanks again neighbor
I commute regularly between Marietta and Huntsville Al so I am somewhat familiar with the roads in this direction. I have ridden my Aprilia 250 on many of these roads as well as out to Memphis. Let me give the routing some thought and I'll get back to you.

BTW, I have an apartment in Huntsville and would be glad to put you up and feed you if you happen to come through when I am here. I also have a garage, tools and pickup truck if you happen to run into problems early in your trip although I wouldn't expect that.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Here's the trip planning thread from the guy on the 50cc Yamaha: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645938

it's worth reading.

It is pretty easy to get from Atlanta to Huntsville and then to Memphis without getting on any interstate Highways. I have done it on my Aprilia. However, most of the back roads are 55MPH 2 lane roads or 65MPH four lane roads. Your 50 will be legal but traffic will be whizzing by.

I have documented several rides between Huntsville, Marietta, and Memphis area in my ride report here:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647784

You may not want to go through Memphis but rather pick a good place to cross the Mississippi. I don't think it will be that hard to pick a interstate free route.

If on the other hand you want to pick roads with lower speed limits, that will be much more difficult but I'll be glad to help.

klaviator screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 03:21 PM
Old 01-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
You have a point. When I said "unlikely bikes" I probably should have said "considered unlikely by most riders"

BTW here is an outstanding ride report which is ongoing at this time by a couple riding RTW on a couple of Sym Symbas: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716979
lol yeah another advantage of the small cc bikes which imo is a huge advantage is that due to the fuel economy, you can adventure much further before you run out of money and have to go home!!! lol

thats a good ride report too there
Old 01-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #22
b-dubya OP
Scoot scoot scoot

Oddometer: 35
That's an offer I may take you up on in Huntsville!! I just moved back from Athens where it was fairly common to see scooters and mopeds all over the roads. I'm planning on leaving by the end of feb, so I will keep you in mind when I head that way. And I'm really interested in th routes you took out of Georgia so I will defiantly research those tonite!!!
b-dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM   #23
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,108
Getting out of Atlanta/Georgia

If you want to stay a bit further south and avoid some of the hills, you can come out of Atlanta on Marietta ST which turns into Atlanta road. Jog over to 278 via the EastWest connector and Fontaine road in Mableton.

278 turns into 78 and then 8, and somewhat follows I-20 (this is the old Bankhead hwy). You'll go through Villa Rica, Douglasville, and Tallapoosa AL where I believe it turns into rt 4. I've ridden a good chunk of it on my old vespa, and it's certainly do-able. Just don't try to take Bankhead from downtown Atlanta, it's pretty sketchy inside the perimeter. Marietta st out to Smyrna is fine- I ride it regularly.

Look it up on Google Earth, you'll be able to follow the route, and drop down to street view if you want to see the road conditions- it's mainly single lane road. Like all roads you're going to periodically have to pull over to let faster vehicles by.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #24
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 802
Don't do it on a chinese scooter the 50cc chinese scoot only last a few thousand miles and will need a rebuild. Go get yourself a used honda metropolitan for under a $1k and that thing will do 50k miles if taken care of.
DaBinChe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #25
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
very cool! if you come all the here then BAJA is a logical stop! I will paying attention for your trip!
Damasovi

damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
elite1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
I give you props for doing it on a 50 cc.. I would have no problem on my 150 though. The only place I wont ride it is on the interstate. Your biggest enemies are going to be hills and any roads over 35 mph. Good luck and have fun.
10 Triumph Thruxton - ton up bitch ; 86 Elite 150 Deluxe - pimpin' 80's icon ; 78 Puch Newport - still in the family. Still can't outrun Fido. ; 07 Elite 80 - bulletproof but boring - sold ; 82 Honda Ft500 Ascot - The lil' donkey's bed - gone but not forgotten.
elite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #27
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,589
hey I forgot to mention to take a look at this report a guy on his 50 cc honda around Sweden and more
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=608324&page=1

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Forde
Studly Adventurer

yeah thats the thread i was talking about ^^

great thread
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM   #29
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Y'all are the riders I have the most respect for.

The "Real" bikers that take 49 cc Scooters across the Country. What an Adventure!

Anyone can hop on a Goldwing and ride cross country on the Interstate. But don't everybody ride no 50 cc 40 MPH scooter thousands of miles!

For one, your pretty crazy to do it on a Chinese Scooter. Theres like a mixed bag. You may have a good one you may have a piece of shit. You really never know, they's real inconsistent in quality. Honestly, a used Honda would be my choice if I was you. I mean the Chinese may not have no problems, but it my brake down every few towns! Never know!

But, sounds like brake downs ain't a big deal for you, since you got lots of time, its ok.

I have me a 153 cc Scooter that can do about 65-70 MPH GPS, and I barley ride it on the highway. It gets shit gas milage over 50 MPH, like 47 MPG. And also I wouldn't probably take it out of state. But you do it on 50 cc!

But sounds cool! I hope you have a great ride! Let us know how it goes! I love that area down there!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #30
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

How's the planning & prep for this trip coming?