Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 AM   #31
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by james03x1 View Post
I also prefer to use scooter for trip and tour, mostly do a little race with each other and its a great fun...
????

Don't you read the dates on these ancient threads?

BTW, It doesn't appear that he ever went on this trip.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #32
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,257
Yeah, all he does is look up old threads and respond to them. Most of which are not relevant now.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,380
One thing would have been relevant to me, but was left out. It's left out everywhere. I read the whole story of Wan's journey, and did not find anything about the route he took. I posted several times on totalruckus.com asking for route information, to no avail. I have read about other people traveling across the country on mopeds and small scooters, but cannot find any route information. I have tried to put together a route myself, but cannot connect everything without getting on freeways. I have ridden all over the U.S. on motorcycles using freeways. I would like to take such a trip on a Zuma 125, but there just doesn't seem to be a way to go from coast to coast without freeways, even with enough going around in circles and doubling the mileage.

I do have a 700 mile round trip planned in the near future on the Zuma, only going from Phoenix, AZ to Yuma, AZ and back, normally less than 400 miles by freeway. The only non freeway route adds an extra 300 miles going in the wrong direction to get around the freeway.

If anybody knows a site with route information for crossing the U.S. without freeways, I'd sure appreciate being told about it. Bicycle routes don't work, because bicycles are allowed to ride on the shoulders on freeways in many states where there is no reasonable way around it. But motor driven cycles, like the Zuma, are prohibited everywhere.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by james03x1 View Post
I also prefer to use scooter for trip and tour, mostly do a little race with each other and its a great fun...

This Guy is Spamming his Bottom of the Barrel Chinese scooters UK Website in every post he makes.
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #35
hexnut
just cruising

Oddometer: 1,257
I didn't realize that but you are right. No wonder he wants to make as many useless post as he can.

hexnuts...a curse put on your balls by a mean gypsy
3/5 Cav, C Troop, BlackKnights, Vietnam 1969
hexnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #36
deezildennis
Its a what?

Oddometer: 755
I Thought I posted that I had noticed that the other day but I remember it was late and I was as sick as a dawg... I Guess i didn't hit enter on the tablet..
deezildennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #37
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,399
Good luck I wouldn't do it on a china bike unless I can shoot it when the engine goes on it. Thats the worst that can happen the engine goes boom. At that point a post here for a place to stay and a look on cragslist will find you something else if it happens. It's not like you can't find another 50cc replacement for 400 to 700 bucks at that time . If it happen try getting a ct90 or ct110 honda .
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #38
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dubya View Post
I'm doing it on a stock jmstar, and plan on heading very close to the southern boarder once I reach Texas. I'm not to concerned with the mountain probably as much as I should but I can put more thought into that later while planning. I saw wan did it on a ruckus which is sweet. I'm trying not to over think it, bc that's when i overlook most things
I wouldn't recommending going too close to the border when you get to Texas, New Mexico and Arizona. Coyotes can be very dangerous and I'm not talking about the 4 legged kind. Quite a bit of violence spills over from Mexico.

You will also need to carry gas since it can be 200 miles between gas stations in some parts of the west.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #39
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
One thing would have been relevant to me, but was left out. It's left out everywhere. I read the whole story of Wan's journey, and did not find anything about the route he took. I posted several times on totalruckus.com asking for route information, to no avail. I have read about other people traveling across the country on mopeds and small scooters, but cannot find any route information.

If anybody knows a site with route information for crossing the U.S. without freeways, I'd sure appreciate being told about it. Bicycle routes don't work, because bicycles are allowed to ride on the shoulders on freeways in many states where there is no reasonable way around it. But motor driven cycles, like the Zuma, are prohibited everywhere.
There is a link to Wan's route in this article http://www.instructables.com/id/Traveling-by-Scooter/ Oh and in most states a 125cc Zuma would not be considered a motor driven cycle but a motorcycle. That's the classification in Texas, Colorado and California (the only states I have personal knowledge of). While it may or may not meet the horsepower definition of freeway capable in all states you can cross the US on state highways. I've done so on my larger scoot because I find interstates boring and only use them if I really need to make time since they are frequently the most direct route. Google will route you without having to use freeways using the "avoid highways" under map options. It won't be direct but then that's part of what makes traveling by scooter interesting.

An example of using Google Maps with no highways option is taking US 380 from Norfolk, VA to Los Angeles, CA http://goo.gl/maps/Pjjan Drag the route around and it will give you other options though sometimes it might put you on a dirt or seasonally opened road so make sure you read the route carefully and view it where possible.
cdwise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #40
Dabears
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
????

Don't you read the dates on these ancient threads?

BTW, It doesn't appear that he ever went on this trip.
Klaviator- It appears that 'jamesxxx' guy's necroposts have all disappeared, so maybe he's been sent to the basement, banned or deleted altogether. Maybe these dead threads can die in peace....

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote