Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,737
Just Bought a 19?? Benelli 650S: Now WTF Do I Do??

I just bought this:

It lived three houses over, owned by an old couple, the last of whom passed a couple months back. I posted about it 5 or so years ago when she wanted to get rid of it & I thought I could help her out. I didn't want it then because it's not a bike for this empty place.

I have since become an enthusiastic reader of Classic Motorcycle, and Classic Motorcycle Mechanics mags, which has cursed me with the desire for an old bike project. This, in combination with my decision to move back home to the Front Range of Colorado, made me think about that old Tornado, and Dee's heirs were quite motivated to sell it.

It's missing:
- Turn signals
- Tail light
- Key(s)
- Title

Sooo...what to do, what to do? I think I want to do a resto, but I know they're only original once. Besides, I like shiny. If I go the restoration route, I'm thinking I gotta get it running & ride it a little before I do so to satisfy my Instant Gratification Syndrome. In any case, the idea of bastardizing it into a cafe cliche is unequivocally off the table, and my one and only rule of reply to this thread is making this the last time the idea is explored.

Where to get parts? I've found an outfit in Germany-- anyone know of a domestic source? Yeah, I know: eBay...

So there it is, in its temporary home within my Mobile Storage Unit:

Not many miles -

Not in bad shape, just dirty, and in places, leaky:

Love, love, LOVE this brake:

Well, looky here-

This scares me a bit:

I won't be doing anything with the bike anytime soon, whatever it is I decide to do, because there is a glacier in front of my garage that needs to melt before anything to do with motorcycling happens. When I do embark on whatever this project turns out to be, I'll post plenty of pix taken with an actual CAMERA, and leave the phone for other things.

I really can't wait to ride this...

'04 GS Adv- A fond memory
'07 990 Adventure- still bonding...

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Great project. But until you've got a title, it's someone else's great project.
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #3
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Not necessarily here in WY-- last I checked a sheriff's auction is all that's needed in such a situation. Basically, the vehicle is auctioned for what is normally a pittance by a deputy on the steps of the courthouse. I buy it at that auction & get a title.

Unless the procedure has chenged, the title will be the easiest of the missing items to obtain.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #4
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,750
Nice find ! Likely parked with low mileage due to a low side = bent peg and shifter.

I'll agree with your initial plan. Get it running and road worthy. Ride it for a while and see where to go from there. Oh, and do keep us in the loop via this thread.

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 PM   #5
MZRider
Neo-Luddite

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Not necessarily here in WY-- last I checked a sheriff's auction is all that's needed in such a situation. Basically, the vehicle is auctioned for what is normally a pittance by a deputy on the steps of the courthouse. I buy it at that auction & get a title.

Unless the procedure has chenged, the title will be the easiest of the missing items to obtain.
Back when I had mine, Cosmopolitan Motors was the only parts source for anything not shared with other Italian bikes. Now it seems Detlef Burian in Germany is likely the best bet: http://www.benelliparts.de/start.php?lang=de

The taillight is shared with Moto Guzzis such as the 850-T and T3. Mine didn't have signals, so I'm not sure what was fitted originally. CEV reproductions for a Guzzi would be inexpensive and period correct at least. Keys: you may be able to have keys cut to code. Might have a switch the same as Guzzis of the period Look next to the key slot to see if there's a alphanumeric code. You might be able to find a blank and have it cut here: http://www.keys4classics.com/html/MotoGuzzi.html A good local locksmith should be able to do it also.

There is a seller on eBay that makes reproduction footpeg rubbers:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benelli-650-...item1c392afab9
'77 Yamaha XT500, '91 ATK 604
'94 MZ Silver Star, '96 CCM 350
MZRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
Tripletreat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Nice find! I'd like to be in your shoes, as I've often day-dreamed about what you've pulled off. If I recall correctly, the S model is the preferred one. Those bikes are very appealing, and I simply love the front brake.
I have no doubt the search for parts could well be an expensive challenge, but if the bike was not abused and has been stored inside, you may get off without taking a second (or third) job to finance your project.
Good luck with your new obsession.
Old 01-18-2014, 01:37 AM   #7
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,213
Very cool find....

Here is a picture of a friends old 650 Tornado, but under it's other name "Motobi"

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:07 AM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,045
Take a can of Weedy to that shed and spray the....out of it. Will make it a lot easier to clean when the snow melts.

But....myself I'd use some of the better corrosion preventers, the Lanolin based ones smell much better than Weedy. Gets in the casting pores and lift the dirt and easy to wash off later.

In the meantime if you haven't yet learn the fine arts of metal polishing. I just made a polisher out of a cheap bench grinder. $50.00 investment works well....you'll need one.

My first bike was a Benelli, probably around the same year. But that one beats it 10 to 1 on displacement.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 AM   #9
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,009
Quote:

Sooo...what to do, what to do?
Nice find. It doesn't look too bad. If I had it I would spend the remaining winter months getting:
- Turn signals
- Tail light
- Key(s)
- Title

Then I would wash it, fix that bent peg, make sure that the brakes work and the tires are OK, change the oil, wash it again, throw some carnauba on the painted parts, and go for a ride. A few other problems will surface in those first rides, a squeaky bearing here, a dried out seal there. Fix those and then go for another ride.

Those are my thoughts anyway.
Dirt bikes and other stuff.
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...

Twotaildog screwed with this post 01-18-2014 at 08:18 AM
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #10
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post
Those are my thoughts anyway.
Nothing wrong with those thoughts
Old 01-18-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

loads of parts on ebay in the USA, including a gear change pedal....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Motorcycle...kw=benelli+650

Old 01-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
joe cool
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 868
I remember years ago an old friend had a black/yellow model that I still regret not buying.
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #13
Nailhead OP
Painting by numbers

Thanks for all the input & encouragement, everyone.

I found out the titling procedure has changed, involving a couple of forms (downloadable off the county website), a bill-of-sale, and a VIN inspection. Shouldn't be too big a deal, and I'm not in a big hurry.

Kev & MZ: thanks for the parts info. That particular German source is pretty much the ONLY one I see mentioned whenever the question of Benelli parts comes up. I checked his website, and I believe a person has to email him a request-- you can't just click & add to cart. Part of the resto process, I guess. Oh, and it isn't the bend in the shift lever I was referring to that intimidates me-- it's its location where a brake pedal should be that opens up huge possibilities for mishap. Gonna have to get used to that on our empty roads.

Cogswell & 2tail: I really do think a wash, a battery, and some gas (the fuel tank is empty & completely devoid of any but light surface rust), and I could start it up and go for a ride. Two things prevent me at this point, though: the fork seals are trashed. ROACHED, even, and I can't see through the oil sight glass. A flashlight will probably solve the latter, but the forks will require some effort to fix, I'm thinking. I'll post a pic later. Oh, and there's the key thing: no code that I can find, so a locksmith will have to be consulted, and we don't have one anywhere nearby.

H96: What is "Weedy", and what is it used for? Sounds like it might be useful.

There are things I've forgotten to mention I'm sure (I just woke up), but thanks for all the info. I really do appreciate it.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
JeffPM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
That is a really nice find! It is a model I've dreamt of owning for some time. Good luck with your resto and keep us updated on your progress.

'09 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
'09 Triumph Street Triple R
JeffPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,045
Quote:
H96: What is "Weedy", and what is it used for? Sounds like it might be useful.

There are things I've forgotten to mention I'm sure (I just woke up), but thanks for all the info. I really do appreciate it.
Have more coffee...or not.Had too much this morning and made a mess in the shop.

Weedy....I don't like the smell so that's what I call WD-40. Them Lanolin based products smell much better...

A heck of a big iceberg in front of my shop....