User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #91
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,141
I rode a buddy's K75S on some mountain twisties the other day:

and came away with some distinct impressions: first, it is really short after riding a 990. Second, for such a petite-looking bike, the slow speed handling is truly ponderous, but once it gets above parking lot speed, it rides like its on rails. Third, that straight-line stability makes it hard to turn in, but commit to the corner, roll it on, and it completes the turn nicely. Fourth, it reacquainted me with false neutrals.

It was a fun little ride, but I came away a little disillusioned-- I had wanted a ride on that bike for years & it wasn't quite what I was expecting.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #92
doc moses
fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer: 69
first, it is really short after riding a 990. Second, for such a petite-looking bike, the slow speed handling is truly ponderous, but once it gets above parking lot speed, it rides like its on rails. Third, that straight-line stability makes it hard to turn in, but commit to the corner, roll it on, and it completes the turn nicely. Fourth, it reacquainted me with false neutrals.

The brakes suck also, and tire selection is limited to bias tires which slip and slide. The K75s can't keep up with modern 600 sport bikes and the 1000s put out a measly 90-100 HP on their very best days. So I would advise everyone to avoid these old German bikes altogether, especially if a lower mileage k1100RS come up for sale.

Seriously, if the K-bike is full of neutrals there are issues with that specific trans. The rest is just part of the fun of riding a bike made over 20 years ago. I can't used to the lack of suspension when I switch from a modern bike to one of my K's- they turn expansion joints into whoops!
Old 10-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #93
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc moses View Post
first, it is really short after riding a 990. Second, for such a petite-looking bike, the slow speed handling is truly ponderous, but once it gets above parking lot speed, it rides like its on rails. Third, that straight-line stability makes it hard to turn in, but commit to the corner, roll it on, and it completes the turn nicely. Fourth, it reacquainted me with false neutrals.

The brakes suck also, and tire selection is limited to bias tires which slip and slide. The K75s can't keep up with modern 600 sport bikes and the 1000s put out a measly 90-100 HP on their very best days. So I would advise everyone to avoid these old German bikes altogether, especially if a lower mileage k1100RS come up for sale.

Seriously, if the K-bike is full of neutrals there are issues with that specific trans. The rest is just part of the fun of riding a bike made over 20 years ago. I can't used to the lack of suspension when I switch from a modern bike to one of my K's- they turn expansion joints into whoops!
Might as well sell off your K bikes bro- you come off like a hater. At least you pointed out they're 20 years old (at least). I never disliked my 88 K100RS, which is more "advanced" than my 93 airhead RS. They is what they is.
Coming out of 70s BritBikes, the K100 is AMAZING. Speaking strictly for me & my personal M/C experiences.
YMMV.

Doc's take on the slow speed handling is spot on, and yeah maybe you have to muscle them into the corners a bit but what the fuck. Nobody ever said the older BMWs are the best handling bikes ever made. Their reliability is undeniable tho, and if you gotta have some 80s vintage iron, nothin' wrong with an older K. I personally love 'em. There's an older couple on the BMWMOA site that's ridden hundreds of thousands of miles on theirs. So not everyone hates the original Flying Brick.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #94
doc moses
fearlessly flatulent

Oddometer: 69
let's read that again, it might not be clear enough. If a guy writes that he has several K-bikes, it might be that he is joking about the less enjoyable characteristics of the bike; and that he really likes his K-bikes. That would also explain why the guy (me) said don't try and buy a K-bike, because it was implied (but not strongy enough evidently) that I was looking for the bike I said to stay away from. That would make it less expensive for me to pick up. K1100s are harder to find at a nice price that the k100, and I am planning on adding an 1100 to my garage collection.

Fact is I understand that if a person has not ridden older bikes, the K does feel a little weird. The rear shock has very limited travel and the forks (even the S forks) need a cartridge emulator to keep the wheels on the ground. The single piston brake calipers are scary compared to modern brakes. And the bias tires can make life interesting at speed if a rider is used to modern radials.

But, if you realize (as I do) that the bike is 20 years old and if you can appreciate it for being a really cool 20 year old bike (as I do) then you can ride the bike alot (I do) and enjoy it.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #95
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc moses View Post
let's read that again, it might not be clear enough. If a guy writes that he has several K-bikes, it might be that he is joking about the less enjoyable characteristics of the bike; and that he really likes his K-bikes. That would also explain why the guy (me) said don't try and buy a K-bike, because it was implied (but not strongy enough evidently) that I was looking for the bike I said to stay away from. That would make it less expensive for me to pick up. K1100s are harder to find at a nice price that the k100, and I am planning on adding an 1100 to my garage collection.

Fact is I understand that if a person has not ridden older bikes, the K does feel a little weird. The rear shock has very limited travel and the forks (even the S forks) need a cartridge emulator to keep the wheels on the ground. The single piston brake calipers are scary compared to modern brakes. And the bias tires can make life interesting at speed if a rider is used to modern radials.

But, if you realize (as I do) that the bike is 20 years old and if you can appreciate it for being a really cool 20 year old bike (as I do) then you can ride the bike alot (I do) and enjoy it.

My bad dude. Sometimes I find it hard to get tonal inflections, true meanings, and sarcasm from Internet posts!
Guess if I'd thought about it more I coulda figured it out. But who has time for all that?

Ride on my man.
Cheers.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #96
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 701
guy posted this up on local cl. he picked it up along with a k100rt and a 90 gs-pd. had to buy everything in the garage to get a 68 mustang fastback he wanted from the deceased original owners family.
starts, runs, rides, everything works.needs a little post hibernation servicing love.

bought the wrecked pd too.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #97
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

K1- Dream Machine? Or Nightmare?

WOW, the K1 always was an intriguing motorcycle for me! I've read they are none too comfortable, tho I wouldn't know that from personal experience. You sure don't see many around out in the "real" world, but I see them come up for sale every now and again. Come to think of it, I have NEVER seen one anywhere EXCEPT on line. Talk about being ahead of its time... Not really certain the times ever DID catch up to the K1, actually. Or time caught up and passed it all in a brief (very brief) flash moment.... BIG points in the "design ethic" category but practicality is where it counts.

OOPS!

On further looking (NO, I do NOT always take a second look before hitting "submit")

that isn't a K1... Looks like a full-on Hannigan (?) fairing + bodywork, tricked-to-the-hilt K100? Double WOW and one WTF.

Second opinions on this, please? Anyone seen this get-up before?
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #98
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Hey guess what?

I was just looking around the internet and found that a guy bought the above Red Sled. It was pictured in the BMW MOA Flying Brick K forum's "show us your Brick" Pic thread, posted yesterday Sunday 11/25 !

Still wondering who made all the body work on the thing, tho.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #99
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

pichler fairing/body kit. indeed, a precursor K1 look about it. the tail cowl come off and exposes the passenger seat, the lower rear panels have bag mounts underneath.
these came with the deal, brand new in the plastic.

edit: the contraption mounted on the handlebars held a self contained am/fm-cass./speakers stereo system.

vernon dent screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 08:46 AM
vernon dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #100
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Cool bike. Someone at the K forum on MOA posted a vid of someone with the same Pichler bodywork, so I guess it's not the ONLY one out there- tho I haven't seen one in my own little world.
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #101
vernon dent
Studly Adventurer

a little progress on the pichler bike. cleaned and rubbed out the bodywork with compound. 86'rd the red foam grips and big ass radio bracket. new bt-45"s in the garage, started going through the brakes.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #102
390beretta
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,132
Well, I just posted a question re: K bikes, then of course, found this thread I currently ride an '88 K75 and just yesterday looked at a '93 with only 4500 miles. The obvious fuel tank/fuel line/injector problems have been dealt with, but still.....he's asking $4850 for it, but must admit. It is "showroom". Any thoughts?
390beretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #103
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Well, I just posted a question re: K bikes, then of course, found this thread I currently ride an '88 K75 and just yesterday looked at a '93 with only 4500 miles. The obvious fuel tank/fuel line/injector problems have been dealt with, but still.....he's asking $4850 for it, but must admit. It is "showroom". Any thoughts?
This SO totally subjective.

Seems high for an older K. But there is ALWAYS a difference between what a vintage/classic/older bike is "worth" and what the seller THINKS it is "worth". The bitch is that it is REALLY tough to get any hard data on sales of these bikes (or any older bikes).

So it just winds up being one guy's (often emotionally and/or financially driven) opinions against another guy's opinions. The seller THINKS his bike is worth X, and the buyer ONLY wants to pay X amount. Most likely, there is at least SOME disparity between X and X. The seller wants to get all he can on a bike he has been invested in, and the buyer wants a "deal" on a bike that he has some measure of attraction to. What it comes down to is: are you WILLING and/or ABLE to suck it up & kick it out? AND do you HAVE to have THIS bike NOW, or can you hold out for another bike that you can get on [something closer to] your terms. How bad does the seller want to sell? does he HAVE to sell? Or can he just sit it out?

There are endless scenarios here. Offer a lower price that you consider to be reasonable, and gauge his reaction. Either way, you're holding the folding, and he wants to sell.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #104
ricochetrider OP
a certain something

PS:
Don't know if you are a BMWMOA member but they have a members only "Flea Market" with 37 K bikes (of various vintages) for sale as of this minute. Don't know if it's still posted there but there was a guy who had a late "classic" (mid 90s?) K1100 Special Edition bike for sale there- and it was listed for a long while- dude wanted 7000k PLUS $$ for it! YES it was beautiful. Did it seem "worth" his asking price? No way in H - E - double hockey sticks (but I drooled all over that ad for months just the same).

Seems to me that the original STYLE K bikes aren't worth nearly what they SHOULD be. Considering all you get in terms of reliability, rideability, etc. they really aren't selling for shit.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #105
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by 390beretta View Post
Unlike many sellers....he describes it well. Others may like the whole story:

"An almost virgin twenty-year-old red-head that you could keep on the side, and your wife wouldn't mind too much! I am offering for sale a 1993 Mystic Red BMW K75S with ABS, and matching BMW logo-ed Side Cases, with under 4,500 miles. Yeah! 4,500 miles!!! As Beemers don't really get broken in until they have about twenty thousand on them, this bike is virtually new. In my opinion, the K75 was the finest motorcycle that BMW ever made. It is quiet and smooth, gets about fifty miles per gallon, and is a pleasure to ride.
A few months ago, I found this beautiful K75S, which needed a bit of attention. It was originally owned by a Las Vegas anesthesiologist who rode it for a bit, then tucked it in the corner of his garage...for almost twenty years. The fuel had turned to goo. The tank was cleaned out, the fuel pump and fuel lines replaced, and the entire fuel system cleaned. New Metzler tires were installed, along with a new battery. I touched up the few chips that were on the bodywork with Mystic Red touch-up paint, and gave the bike a good cleaning. It now looks and runs like it was when new. The instruments all work as new, and even the starter button/kill switch is a bright red and green as when new, and not faded from the sunlight.
I already have two other K75's, one in Arizona and one in Wisconsin, but to find one with such low mileage, I had to have it. I figured that if I didn't like it, I could turn it and make a few bucks. As much as I love the K75, the S configuration does not work very well with my aged body. I prefer to sit vertically, and have a large windscreen that keeps the crud out of my eyes, and wind off my hands. I thought about swapping out all of the S parts for an RT configuration, but the K75R that I have here in Arizona has all of that, with only 33,000 miles on it, so this beautiful K75S is now up for sale.
The side cases are in very good condition, but I removed them because there is just enough room in my garage to park a motorcycle and a Honda Helix scooter side by side.
If you are interested, please send your contact information, and I will send a bunch of pictures showing its outstanding condition. I believe the pictures speak for themselves, and if you have any questions, please call me at ......"