User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
Dirtbike OP
Ernesto The Great ??

Oddometer: 31
May 18 -21 Radisson QC

OK any long haulers out there. I will be leveing London, Ont for Radisson QC Thursday after work ( 4:30 ) and riding till it's time to stop ( Sudbury most likly ) then on Friday ( early ) riding the rest of the way into Radisson QC. Saturday and half of Sunday spent exploreing around or what ever we feel or you feel like then heading home.
This is a long haul and a very high KM ride, you will need a large gas tank and be able to ride !! Im on my GSA.....

Let me know
Dirtbike
Dirtbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 AM   #2
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 308
Radisson

Check out our RR(thread) "The Poutine Run-Northern Quebec" from last September posted by Scodill.. Don,t miss the Trans Taiga Road,really one of the best reasons to travel the James Bay Road is to get to the TTR.!! It will likely be quite cold(many small lakes will still be frozen) at that time of year but that will keep the trillion trillion black flies to a minimum!!
Fuel is not a huge problem but would recommend you carry 10 litres extra,there are a couple of outfitters along the TTR which are happy to sell you some fuel if they are around.
We experienced many tire pressure issues with the cold temps, Heidenau on the front is not a good plan!!
The TTR is one i would like to run again sometime,enjoy!!
PD

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=724319&page=6
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
georgedaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Radisson

Definitely interested.
Is it all camping?
georgedaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #4
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,353
Based on your plan you'll be riding the 2nd half of the James Bay Rd in the dark. Not only will you miss the best scenery, the chances of hitting wildlife go up.

If you can pull 4 full days, getting from Sud Ont to Matagami on Day one gives you the time to get to Radisson on day two and then out to the Bay.

You don't want to miss the Bay

DW
Old 01-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Transitwally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Excellent trip, did it with Paydirt, Scodill & Pixellman. Recommended route:
First day - London to North Bay
Second day - Northbay to Matagami
Third day - Matagami to the shore of James Bay near Chisasibi
Fourth day - Into Radisson and whatever.

Check out our ride report http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post16832819
and this website http://www.jamesbayroad.com/ it was a bit chilly in early Sept. so May could be cold.

Oh ya, Pay Dirt speaks from experience about the extra gas. He was 13 kms shy from the fuel station.

Transitwally screwed with this post 01-31-2012 at 11:22 AM
Transitwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Dirtbike OP
Ernesto The Great ??

[QUOTE=, Heidenau on the front is not a good plan!!
PD[/QUOTE]

Why would Heidenau NOT be good on the front ???

I only have four days for this trip. From North Bay to Radisson is around 1100 kms, If you leave North Bay 5am and ride you should be able to make it by 8pm, a long day but it's only a day.

If the right person joins in I could tent it for the trip but at the same time sharing a room is cheep and you dont have to worry about packing up in the morning or loading your bike
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #7
TorontoDude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
might be interested in joining, but my timing might be a little different. planning on doing the trip over 4 days Fri-Sat-Sun_Mon

dates look good. I'm on a DL 1000. From Quebec, so my French is local :)
TorontoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Pay Dirt
panning the web

Oddometer: 308
Heidenau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbike View Post

I only have four days for this trip. From North Bay to Radisson is around 1100 kms, If you leave North Bay 5am and ride you should be able to make it by 8pm, a long day but it's only a day.

If the right person joins in I could tent it for the trip but at the same time sharing a room is cheep and you dont have to worry about packing up in the morning or loading your bike

As it turns out the Heidenau is so stiff that in cold temps and rough road conditions they loose their seal at the bead and
will not hold air, 3 bikes all running them had the same experience! You must tube it up if running on the front, otherwise they receive good reviews..

Other worthy note; the James Bay road is frost heaved, it ain't no southern ontario slab, make sure you use a little extra denture glue!!

Like Rummy says, don't miss Chissasibi camping!!

This is one beautifull run!!! you should seriously consider the Trans Taiga, shame to go all that way and not throw that in, best part of the region IMHO!!

PD
Pay Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #9
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbike View Post

It's not that it can't be done in four days, it's just that doing so would turn into an iron butt ride where the only goal is to chew miles. There is nothing up there really. The reason go is to enjoy the ride.

Paydirts other advice is spot on. Don't trust your tubeless Heidies........
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Dirtbike OP
Ernesto The Great ??

Woow Good to know about the Heidies in the cold weather ! ! ! I will have to start to look into and other tire for this trip.. funny now Im thinking about last time I was out in my bike Jan,06 and I lost a few psi in my front..

Q: will the rear tire also lose pressure ??? should I change both out ??

I know it's a short time to get there and back but I only have so much time to do everything...LOL plus I don't really mind high KM days.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #11
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,665
4 days isn't a bad schedule for Raddisson/Chisasibi.

That's how I did it a few years ago when accompanying a friend who wanted some support for an Iron Butt certificate ride.

We left the GTA at 2230 and arrived in Chisasibi the following evening with hours of daylight to spare. Spent a bit of time knocking about Chisasibi and then stealth camped a few miles out of town. Occupied half the next day poking around Chisasibi and the James Bay shore, only scratching the surface of the local community. The next two and a half days were spent liesurely retracing our steps south. We enjoyed a night of free camping about two-thirds the way down the James Bay Road at a rustic Provincial campground. That was '05, don't know if it's still free? Last night out was spent with friends near New Liskeard. Two and a half days on the return allowed for a lot of leisurely meandering and visiting, though they were long days in the saddle.

We went in late July, so the daylight hours would have been similar to what you'll experience in mid-May.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Transitwally
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
4 days isn't a bad schedule for Raddisson/Chisasibi.

That's how I did it a few years ago when accompanying a friend who wanted some support for an Iron Butt certificate ride.

We left the GTA at 2230 and arrived in Chisasibi the following evening with hours of daylight to spare. Spent a bit of time knocking about Chisasibi and then stealth camped a few miles out of town. Occupied half the next day poking around Chisasibi and the James Bay shore, only scratching the surface of the local community. The next two and a half days were spent liesurely retracing our steps south. We enjoyed a night of free camping about two-thirds the way down the James Bay Road at a rustic Provincial campground. That was '05, don't know if it's still free? Last night out was spent with friends near New Liskeard. Two and a half days on the return allowed for a lot of leisurely meandering and visiting, though they were long days in the saddle.

We went in late July, so the daylight hours would have been similar to what you'll experience in mid-May.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Yup, still free.

Transitwally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #13
Dirtbike OP
Ernesto The Great ??

Well thats good to know... nothing better then free camping
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,592
We were up there a couple of years ago, one of the guys with us left at 5 am from Radisson and was home for his daughters birthday dinner in Ottawa

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Dirtbike OP
Ernesto The Great ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
We were up there a couple of years ago, one of the guys with us left at 5 am from Radisson and was home for his daughters birthday dinner in Ottawa
How we are talking........ Im thinking of heading out around 1am or when I get up. Most times the night sleep before is so restless that I just leve if I can't sleep. Sun will be coming up around 5 - 6am and I will be in North Bay, gas food and good for an other 500 km before I stop and full up again and that should put me at the start of the James Bay HWY, from there open road so I should have the afternoon daylight on my side for the rest. Or till it rains, flate tire, hit a Deer or Moose, police or flaged over by two smoking hot girl

I just need to find out more about running Heidenau tires on my bike in the colder weather. A few riders have reported pressure loss on the front tire. Do I need to change the back tire also for this trip ???