User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #46
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
On the Grey's rods, what's the difference between a x-flite and streamflex?

Anyway, it sounds like I would be silly to replace the Redington with something other than a much higher quality rod. Is that what I'm gathering?

Also, in shopping for lines, are the SA aircell lines still good? compared to 333 or 444? They cost less.
What about some of these brands I've never heard of, like RIO, or the no-name ones from Canada that sell on ebay?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #47
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
So, of course, this is in the extreme, but it may offer up some ideas for traveling on a motorcycle with your fishing gear.

I have two rod holders mounted semi-permanently to the bike. Made from 3" ABS or PVC, both are lockable. The shorter tube will hold 3-4pc graphite fly rods, and the longer one will hold 4-2pc bamboo fly rods up to 8' in length. Yes, I travel with up to 7 fly rods at one time. Neither tube interferes with the motorcycle operator, but if I run 2-up then the longer tube comes off so the passenger can reach her pegs. Both tubes are mounted with common electrical pipe hangers (I used to be an electrician) with the bolts epoxied into the hanger...2 nuts come off inside the side box and the whole thing gets removed from the side box. I have some "plug" bolts in the tank bag to keep everything nice and waterproof.

For a person traveling with a single 4 piece fly rod, a single 2" pvc or abs tube will hold the rod nicely in a rod sock.

In the top box, I keep about 6-8 fly boxes, some reels based on what rods I am taking, a wading staff, wading belt, William Joseph chest pack, full brim hat, and waders or wading socks. Most of the summer and fall I wet wade off the bike with wading socks and boots or a pair of Keen sandals (I wear shorts from April to October both working and riding under my overpants). I have tried all kinds of vests, sling packs, backpacks and chest packs and find the WJ pack to be the best compromise of storage space and minimal size. I like being limited to 2 fly boxes...so I have to study the water while I am getting ready and decide how I am going to fish that water that day (If I use a vest, I take way too much crap). When the fishing stuff gets taken out of the top box, my tank bag (with electronics) goes into the top box in it's place and my riding coat, pants and helmet get locked to the bars with a cable lock.

On the seat, there is a bungie net which holds my wading boots and a net (wading boots take a couple days to dry). Tie your boot laces together, through the net, so if something comes loose you wont lose them. When I am traveling, if I want or need a dry bag for more storage, it just gets strapped over the top of these items.

Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #48
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
On the Grey's rods, what's the difference between a x-flite and streamflex?

Anyway, it sounds like I would be silly to replace the Redington with something other than a much higher quality rod. Is that what I'm gathering?

Also, in shopping for lines, are the SA aircell lines still good? compared to 333 or 444? They cost less.
What about some of these brands I've never heard of, like RIO, or the no-name ones from Canada that sell on ebay?
I, personally, am not familiar with the x-flite, but could probably put you in touch with people who could tell you the difference.

Aircell is a fine line, and SA has always made good products. I usually push the Courtlands only because it is what I grew up on and what I use, and have a bunch of, when I have people demo cast different rods I use the same model of line on each one...then their decisions are influenced by the different rods, not influenced by different lines.

RIO is actually a very large manufacturer though since the company is located about 40 miles from my house we tend to hear about them more up here in the NW. I would stay away from any "no-name brand". Same goes for Orvis...we all know who they are, and there are many Orvis shops in the West, but they have a much bigger foothold on the market in the Eastern states than out West.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #49
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Nice setup Flashmo. The long tube is REALLY long though.

My BC trip I may end up taking the Husky with soft bags though, so the more compact the better. I'm going to look at a mount for my side cases on the Versys though, like you've done there.

Funny, I had just found the William Joseph packs when you mentioned them. Was looking over the various options. Nice stuff!

You've been a great help already. Certainly gives the OP more options, eh?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #50
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374

somewhere under that pile of shit is a mcfarland yellow glass rod I built up, a 7'6" 3 pc that worked like a charm on those little mountain creeks I love.
I just love fiberglass rods and wild fish! two up for two weeks camping and fishing. solo guys don't know how easy they have it!!

bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:58 AM   #51
Sanders OP
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
Wasn't going to do it but I did, put in an offer on a Hardy/Greys GS2 #3 wt 7'6" 4 pc.

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #52
ssevy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Wasn't going to do it but I did, put in an offer on a Hardy/Greys GS2 #3 wt 7'6" 4 pc.
Oh boy...it's a slippery slope lad...the only reason crack cocaine is so popular in metropolitan areas is that they don't have trout streams, so the fly fishing addiction doesn't have a chance to get started first...

I can only speak for myself, but I can only manage (afford) two addictions at a time, especially when one is motorcycles and the other is fly fishing!
ssevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #53
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Are those the ones on ebay? They are nice looking rods. Seems the brand has a good reputation.
I've emailed back and forth with those guys about trading gear. Seem like good people.

I also want to check out Temple whatevertheyare outfitters.

BTW, they also sell the Sage Vantage which is the newest intro rod from same. Said to be still made in their plant here in the US, not overseas, and very high quality. They're $250 for an 'entry level rod'. Wow.

The latest thing I see now are the large arbor reels. What a great idea. That's all new to me.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #54
Sanders OP

Yes I was searching for Flashmo's reccomended pole but came up with this one. Seems like the name is respected, but really I'm just following you'se guys advice (Yooper English in use) when it comes to gear. BTW, we called it "tackle" when I was a youngster, but that was for Walleye fishing on Lake Bemidji. My Grandpa and Dad eschewed the trout, until they went to the Great Lakes, or Canada in the 60's for Lake Trout.

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Old 02-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #55
Sanders OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse View Post
Get real Sanders! Cabelas and their ilk are for KLR riders. You'll need an Orvis rod/reel/waders/stream booties/gizmo vest/hat/etc. to complement the BMW rider wear.

I know where you live!

Old 02-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #56
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Can I hijack and ask a related question?

Just started fly fishing last year and I need some waders. Would like to do some river/creek stuff but they are cold as heck out where I live. Waders. What to buy. I know neoprene are warm but they weigh a ton if you have to hike in someplace.

Any recommendations? A local shop has some Patagonia waders on cheapo (half price). They any good?
Breathable worth the extra bucks?
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #57
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post

Just started fly fishing last year and I need some waders. Would like to do some river/creek stuff but they are cold as heck out where I live. Waders. What to buy. I know neoprene are warm but they weigh a ton if you have to hike in someplace.

Any recommendations? A local shop has some Patagonia waders on cheapo (half price). They any good?
If you get a good fitting pair of neoprene waders, and good fitting boots, they shouldnt be bad for hiking. Ive hiked all day in mine without a problem. The trick, I found, is not to tightaround the knees and tighter at the shoulders. I have to hitch mine up a little sometimes to free my knees up. My duck hunting waders are also neoprene and Ive been in some bloody damn cold water with them. For me, the most important part when hiking is the boots. My duck waders are fixed boots which shafe a little where a good fitting pair of boots combined with stocking foot waders is a lot easier to hike in. THeres a place my dad and i duck hunt, where we may hike for 10 or 12 miles during a full day of hunting while jump shooting ducks. On those days I usually end up switching to my fishing waders.

That being said, my cousin has a pair of the breathable waders that he absolutley loves. He just puts on long underwear if the water is real cold.
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #58
Borrego
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
check out - http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/

Best part is their warranty. No questions. On multiple occasions when I used the warranty, the owner/President of the company came on the phone to ask me if the rods broke with a fish on or while casting. Both times it was the person doing the casting.

But both times the rods were replaced within 5 days.
Borrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #59
Arcanetwice
n00b

Oddometer: 4
March Brown makes very reasonable and outstanding 7 piece rods. They are out of stock in the 8'6" 5 weight that I am looking for, but they have a nice rod/reel combo. www.marchbrown.com/

They seem to get carried away with their own hype, IMO.
Arcanetwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #60
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post

Dont even look at the neoprene waders.. I cant imagine why anyone would buy neoprene for anything except maybe duck hunting... Patagonia waders are great..just like all Patagonia stuff... you just layer underneath them.. longies, polypro,,whatever. Take a look at Madison River Fish Co's website.. www.mrfc.com they have a great closeout tab.. I buy a ton of stuff from them.

for the nipper piece.. I love everything Abel.. I use their money clip...but that $50 nipper is just over the top

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: