User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 AM   #61
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
+1 on NOT getting neoprene. the breathables are light years ahead in terms of comfort. any name brand will serve you well. I prefer the waist high, they're like wearing a pair of regular pants, very comfortable unless temps are in the 90's, then I just wet wade.
the new rubber soled wading boots are very good as well, just be sure to get them with studs. I was hesitant at first to try them, but after a couple trips, I don't think I'll ever go back to felt. the rubber soles are so much better for hiking to and from a stream, and grip at least as good as felt does, at least on the streams I fish.
when i did my out west trip though, I left the waders and boots at home, just not enough room while traveling 2-up. I just fished from the rocks or wet waded with sandals. wasn't perfect, but I didn't care, I was on vacation, riding my bike and catching fish!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #62
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Thanks for the wader info.
Still really new to the sport and I don't know anyone else doing it so the advice is greatly appreciated.

cheers
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #63
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Waders really boil down to how you are going to use them.

Breathable waders are the BOMB!...but only during the spring, summer, and fall. If it gets a little chilly at the two ends of your season, add long johns or specialized fleece wader pants.

If you are going to fish the winter, like steelhead, salmon, snowshoeing to the river bank, or float tubing open water on an iced over lake when possible, like we do here, then you need neoprene for the added warmth (that's on top of long johns). I have both neoprene and insulated neoprene (for when it's really bad).

Wader height is another good subject. If you will be wading mostly smaller creeks, or jumping out of a drift boat to land fish, then waist high waders are much more comfortable, and much better than the old hip waders. If you will be wading a large variety of waters, with the opportunity to step into an unseen deep hole, then chest waders are the way to go.

If you could only have one pair, my choice would be chest-high, breathable, stocking foot waders.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a wader belt! You may be an olympic class swimmer, but if you fill up the bottom of your waders with water (only takes a split second), by stepping into a hole, you will most likely die from drowning. You cannot believe how quickly they fill, and how incredibly heavy they become.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #64
kitsapian
Miserly Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a wader belt! You may be an olympic class swimmer, but if you fill up the bottom of your waders with water (only takes a split second), by stepping into a hole, you will most likely die from drowning. You cannot believe how quickly they fill, and how incredibly heavy they become.
That's good advice. I will definitely add a belt to my kit.

I would support a dedicated fly fishing thread somewhere on this site if there isn't one already.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #65
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
[QUOTE=kitsapian;17926061

I would support a dedicated fly fishing thread somewhere on this site if there isn't one already. [/QUOTE]

1400+ thread views in 7 days...this may be the de-facto FF thread for a while.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #66
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Dedicated Flyfishing Thread

Flyfishing off motorcycles? We're on it!

BTW, when I got into flyfishing about 30 years ago I bought a Scientific Anglers System One 4-5-6 reel. It has served me well over all these years and I have always really enjoyed it. Have 2 extra spools, for sink tip and sinking as well as floating line. So I was thinking about buying a newer reel, these large arbor things are sure cool. But I did a search on ebay for my old reel just to see and darned if there wasn't one listed, so picked it up for $40.

I didn't really need another reel, but I figure it would have cost me that for just a spool for something newer, and I got a whole 'nother reel, so what the hell.

Does anyone have comments on the entry level Orvis and LL Bean large arbor aluminum reels? I see they have composites too, even cheaper, but I'd at least want an aluminum one. I think the Bean ones are even machined instead of cast.

Anyway, here's the System One Reel that's identical to my original from the 80's. They still make them but they're all black now. I'm pretty sure they were made in Japan.

I also drug out all my saltwater gear yesterday, cleaned up the reels and listed them on ebay. I figure there's at least a couple of hundred worth, I had 7 rod and reel outfits from when I had my Grady White offshore. Link here in case anyone is interested: http://www.ebay.com/sch/chris_brown77/m.html?hash=item3a70290d67&item=250989841767&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_trksid=p4340.l2562

Oh, I put my cheapo spare fly rod up there too, a St. Croix graphite. No reserve, starts at $15.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #67
Sanders OP
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
I don't know (yet) what that is, but I know what it will prevent... I did not wear waders back as a youngster. Probably couldn't afford them, but I remember being really paranoid about sinking. So I waded with a pair of old beater swampers and kept a pair of dry boots for when I was done

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitsapian View Post
That's good advice. I will definitely add a belt to my kit.

I would support a dedicated fly fishing thread somewhere on this site if there isn't one already.

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:12 AM   #68
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,374
flyfishing and motorcycles?
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:30 AM   #69
Sanders OP

Sweeet! Yer killin' me

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Old 02-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #70
kitsapian
Miserly Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
1400+ thread views in 7 days...this may be the de-facto FF thread for a while.
Works for me.

This is my 10-minute hobo packing job. There's a 4 wt 4 piece 7' Reddington tucked over one side bag. It's great for making the little fish I catch seem bigger. It was about $150 I think. Sage/Reddington is based a few miles from my house so shipping was easy.

Old 02-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #71
Sanders OP

I learned a pretty good amount from this thread, and today the Cabela's rod and reel combo from Lonestar2112 arrived. It's actually quite nice, and for $25.00 how could I go wrong?
Still searching for a quality 3wt. rod, Flashmo has me intrigued with the Hardy Greys line. I'm a sucker for history, and they sure have it. I've got my eye on one at auction. In the meantime I've been to the library, watched some youtube clips and looked up some of the terminology and knots. My standard surgeons knot will have to be expanded.
Sort of hate to see the thread die, but if so thanks for sharing. I'll be in touch with a couple of you via PM's in the future.
Really looking forward to the month of riding and fishing out west this August/Sept.
YeeHaw!

Sanders

Sanders screwed with this post 02-13-2012 at 02:30 PM
Old 02-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #72
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Let's keep it going. I want to see some more 'fish pics'.

I got my reel, the SA System One and it has less scratches and wear than the one I've had all these years. Also got a new floating line for it from an ebay seller, SA AirCel line for $25.

All my saltwater reels brought in over $300 and everything sold. Man I guess there's still a lot of fishermen out there, they gobbled this stuff up like candy. Now I'm looking around the garage for some more stuff I can sell!

BTW, I still use a surgeons knot for tying tippets, works great. And a nail-knot for tying line to backing, albright for leader to flyline. It has been a lot of years since I did them, a quick review on what goes where first and then they were no trouble.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 AM   #73
ROR-EYE
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Moto-fishing!!

Oh, somebody's teasing me. Moto-Fishing, really!! And with a fly rod no less?! This one's right up my alley. Since we had a super hot summer here last year, I had a hard time justifying hauling the big boat around with a pickup, so two wheeled angling became my preferred method. I've found that I can fit all I need for fishing afoot in a back pack and a single reel-on-rod tube. I typically pack a 4 pc 6wt Loomis for warmwater fishing around here. Naturally, all of this straps to the bike with ease, but then I decided to push the limits of what I have to see how much more stuff I could take along. I ended up with a deflated float tube, waders, life jacket, boots, kick fins, a rod and reel and as many flies as needed for a short warm water trip to a lake not far from home.

My rig for stream and wade fishing

And for float tube trips- I have a U-shaped RevPack

Some of those who played along

ROR-EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #74
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Cool. Fishing and riding...what a combo eh?

Nice bike.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 AM   #75
ROR-EYE
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Moto-fishing!!

Thanks! I have yet to put together the gear for a long distance trip, but was able to make a hillbilly rig work on a trip in 2010. (Ride report below)
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12100
ROR-EYE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: