User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #76
Sanders OP
Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer: 661
Yeah!! Nice pics and a big "Atta Boy" on carrying the gear!
I'm surprised to see a Walleye caught with the fly rod!

Last edited by Temporal Security Agency: 8-25-2026 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Deleted unlawful reference to future history
Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #77
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmo View Post
Waders really boil down to how you are going to use them.

Breathable waders are the BOMB!...but only during the spring, summer, and fall. If it gets a little chilly at the two ends of your season, add long johns or specialized fleece wader pants.

If you are going to fish the winter, like steelhead, salmon, snowshoeing to the river bank, or float tubing open water on an iced over lake when possible, like we do here, then you need neoprene for the added warmth (that's on top of long johns). I have both neoprene and insulated neoprene (for when it's really bad).

Wader height is another good subject. If you will be wading mostly smaller creeks, or jumping out of a drift boat to land fish, then waist high waders are much more comfortable, and much better than the old hip waders. If you will be wading a large variety of waters, with the opportunity to step into an unseen deep hole, then chest waders are the way to go.

If you could only have one pair, my choice would be chest-high, breathable, stocking foot waders.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a wader belt! You may be an olympic class swimmer, but if you fill up the bottom of your waders with water (only takes a split second), by stepping into a hole, you will most likely die from drowning. You cannot believe how quickly they fill, and how incredibly heavy they become.
Chris aka Browneye directed me over here, cool thread. And I can help with a cool fanny pack like PFD that is ideal for fishing in waders.

Bishop thru Bridgeport are my stomping grounds for trout

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #78
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,290
Nice! Let's go fishin'!!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #79
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

So I dug out my float tube that's been in storage for like 20 years and the truck innertube had a 6" long hole in it from dry-rotted rubber. Stopped into Pete's Road Service today and got a used tube the right size for $10 and re-setup the bag.

It's an old Buck's Bags Hi & Dri, so I googled it and they still make them. Whoa, since 1979. I'll bet mine is at least 25 years old.

I know, the new style ones are U and V shaped.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #80
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
So I dug out my float tube that's been in storage for like 20 years and the truck innertube had a 6" long hole in it from dry-rotted rubber. Stopped into Pete's Road Service today and got a used tube the right size for $10 and re-setup the bag.

It's an old Buck's Bags Hi & Dri, so I googled it and they still make them. Whoa, since 1979. I'll bet mine is at least 25 years old.

I know, the new style ones are U and V shaped.

I had one of those in the mid-80's. The taller backrest was much better than previous designs.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #81
ROR-EYE
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders View Post
Yeah!! Nice pics and a big "Atta Boy" on carrying the gear!
I'm surprised to see a Walleye caught with the fly rod!
Thanks! I've learned, being in Kansas, anything that swims and eats will likely eat a fly. It's almost like having an upper hand around here, since most of the fish here have never seen a fly!

www.everythingonthefly.net
ROR-EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #82
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Not that anybody gives a rat's arse but I just picked up some Simm's g3 waders (pants not bibs) and some corker boots with the snowboard ratchet system. Have not tried them out yet but hopefully will in the next week or so.
Bought them in Fernie and the price was the same as the US price.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:39 PM   #83
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Great motorcycle fly rod

Orvis makes a great rod that breaks down into 7 or 8 pieces and will fit nicely in panniers. Super cool. works great and their warranty is excellent.
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #84
weird1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grins View Post
Orvis makes a great rod that breaks down into 7 or 8 pieces and will fit nicely in panniers. Super cool. works great and their warranty is excellent.
Orvis is not selling the rod anymore, an it did not have the same warranty as the rest of their rods.
weird1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #85
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Orvis Travel Rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weird1 View Post
Orvis is not selling the rod anymore, an it did not have the same warranty as the rest of their rods.
They still have their 'Frequent Flier' line of rods. And yes, no breakage guarantee. Here's their 8'6" 4wt: http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=8922

Thought I would start this thread up again...trout opener is April 28th here in CA.

I actually picked up a backpack at REI's sale and intend to do some overnighters for Sierra wild trout this year. If I can't ride the bike in I'll hike...OH NO!!
Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #86
MGB
ex. BmwDuc

Oddometer: 1,845
Need a good method to carry rods

I'm thinking I'll have to make a PVC carrier I can permanently (or close to permanently) install on my bike. Having a rod tube strapped to the seat seems to easy to pilfer. Still searching for a good solution, but I think it's going to be off to lowes for supplies.

early morning hunt for native brookies at our camp in the Virginia Mountains.
Vstrom got replaced by a Super Tenere.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #87
KG6BWS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
Heres one alternative

Left side of the bike, hose clamped to my map book tube. Just a standard rod/reel case for my 4 pc 8'6" 3wt. Its behind the pannier rack, but outside the vertical line of the swingarm and caliper so I dont have to worry about it getting destroyed if I bottom the suspension out. Had a couple of small offs without the boxes and the rod was fine. I take the rod out when Im not using it, nowhere on my way home from work to use it so no point in carrying it during the week.

Not an ideal mounting, I do worry slightly about the reel hanging out the back. Main saving grace in an off is that the hose clamps are tight enough to keep it secure but loose enough to allow it to move some if it hits the ground. Should prevent any serious damage if it landed on a rock or something.

Justin
01 F650GS Dakar
KG6BWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #88
Brick Top
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Good Day,

I thought I should "warm" this thread up seeing that the snow and ice is starting to melt at a really really slow pace.

Any opinions on the Cabela΄s Stowaway 6 combos? I will start the addictive fly fishing in this year and what I have read on this forum that these are good starter combos. Is this combo a medium/ Fast rod?
Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM   #89
DRGNHTR
Dragonhunter

Oddometer: 446
I almost bought the Cabelas Stowaway but picked the LSI 4 piece instead. It's a little wider packing than the Stowaway but not as wide as my bags and a much better and faster rod. Right now it's on sale for $139.
DRGNHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 AM   #90
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Good Day,

I thought I should "warm" this thread up seeing that the snow and ice is starting to melt at a really really slow pace.

Any opinions on the Cabela΄s Stowaway 6 combos? I will start the addictive fly fishing in this year and what I have read on this forum that these are good starter combos. Is this combo a medium/ Fast rod?
I have a five piece stowaway. Good rod for what it is, and I'd have another.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: